Hwy 101 In Northern Ca?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tazamarue

Hello to all,

? ? ? ?We are planning a trip up the coast of northern Ca and southern OR. How is hwy 101 for pulling a 30 ft 5th wheel? Are there sharp curves or tight spacees along the hwy? Any great hideaways that are unknown to the crowds. Always enjoy the forum lot's of great help. Thanks.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Happy Travels to all,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Taz :eek: :-* ;D ;)

You won't have any problems on the 101 north, what you might want to consider is taking highway 1 out or San Luis Obispo north to Monterey. lots of curves. I have  driven my 30 ft with a toad and had no problems. Beautiful scenery along the coast. If you take this route you can tour Cambria and Hurst Castle. Also about 5 miles or so north of San Simeon you can pull off the road at a well marked parking area and look at the Sea Lions resting on the beach. There usually are docents there with plenty of information. Farther north is Big Sur nice camp ground there. From Monterey cut over to the 101 and continue to Oregon. Have a safe trip.
Clint

FYI: The coast highway in Big Sur country can be VERY windy. We were there in a rented Range Rover (a lucky freebie) a couple of years ago, and at one turnout we could barely pull the door closed against the wind. I can remember it being similar (although not quite as bad) many years before along the coast, and I hate to think of what that would have been like in a motorhome or pulling a big trailer.

I'm sure some of the others have been though with their RVs and can give more informed opinions, but I don't recall any spots that seemed like they would have been too twisty for a 5th wheel rig, but byways.org did note that large vehicles might have difficulty.

The scenery is not to be missed if you haven't been there before.

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2301/
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/

Highway 101 will be fine throughout it's length.  North of Garberville, consider taking the "Avenue of the Giants" which is the old two lane road through the redwoods that was bypassed by a section of freeway.  There are large directional signs advising you about the alternative.

101 will stay inland south of Eureka.  If you're looking to continue your journey along the coast, State Highway 1 is the road you want.  However, it is very twisty and narrow.  In particular, the stretch in Marin County immediately north of San Francisco should be avoided - it is posted with warning signs for trucks greater than 30 ft. from kingpin to rear axle.

tazamarue said:
Hello to all,

We are planning a trip up the coast of northern Ca and southern OR. How is hwy 101 for pulling a 30 ft 5th wheel? Are there sharp curves or tight spacees along the hwy? Any great hideaways that are unknown to the crowds. Always enjoy the forum lot's of great help. Thanks.

Happy Travels to all,
                    Taz :eek: :-* ;D ;)

We did the 101 north of Vallejo to Oregon with a 40'coach and toad. No problem at all.

Lou Schneider said:
If you're looking to continue your journey along the coast, State Highway 1 is the road you want.  However, it is very twisty and narrow.  In particular, the stretch in Marin County immediately north of San Francisco should be avoided - it is posted with warning signs for trucks greater than 30 ft. from kingpin to rear axle.

I would also avoid the stretch in Sonoma county with an RV, north of Marin, many blind narrow curves that will force you into the outer lane. It's OK north of the Mendecino/Sonoma line, but somewhat difficult to get to. ;D

Back
Top Bottom