Thoughts about a 62 GM bus conversion?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dniko1978

So my husband & I are considering buying a 1962 GM bus ( we currently have an 84 class C). It needs a little cosmetic TLC, interior is about 95% there. ( just needs to be changed up to suit our likes). The exterior needs to be buffed out & painted. The asking price is $4,000, does that sound reasonable? We are going to try to meet with the seller later this week, so if anyone has comments or suggestions I would appreciate the input.

Attachments

• 0821111430.jpg
    0821111430.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 0821111430a.jpg
    0821111430a.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 0821111430b.jpg
    0821111430b.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 145
Looks real good to me. If you are a do it yourselfer I would go for it. If not it could cost you a fortune in labor.

dniko1978 said:
So my husband & I are considering buying a 1962 GM bus ( we currently have an 84 class C). It needs a little cosmetic TLC, interior is about 95% there. ( just needs to be changed up to suit our likes). The exterior needs to be buffed out & painted. The asking price is $4,000, does that sound reasonable? We are going to try to meet with the seller later this week, so if anyone has comments or suggestions I would appreciate the input.

It sounds like a good deal, but you haven't mentioned the running gear.  These buses are built like tanks, strong and sturdy, and their engines are capable of hundreds of thousands of miles, however, when something breaks it's a bit pricier than repairing a Class A.

In the photos, esp. the left side, it looks like the skin is buckled just over halfway back. It could just be a photo issue but based on only the photos I would check the frame there. Is it leaking there? I certainly could be overreacting. Just what I saw.

Could be a fun project. I really like the looks of those buses.

I recently sold a 62 after a 14 year ownership and conversion and have been helping a friend with a 63.  This will be a PD4106 by GMC built exclusively for Greyhound, if you wish for more information on this particular coach and the make in general, go to the Bus Conversions board @ Bus Conversions Magazine bulletin board.>>>Dan

These buses were stock with a Detroit 8V71 (568 CID) two stroke engine (270 HP) or upgraded to a 304 HP with larger injectors. The trans will be a stock Spicer 4 speed stick (non-syncromesh) or an Allison V730 automatic. They are generally NOT turbocharged and will struggle up the hills and in the mountains  These buss es were built for Greyhound and are 35 foot in length and 96" wide, the wheelwells protrude up through the floor  and they have NO FRAME. The body is monocoupe construction (like a beer can) and a reskin job is very importand to be done right, this one isn't impressive, in fact very rough. The front and rear "caps" appear to R&M fiberglas and its been re skinned in aluminium from the waist up and over the roof. The stock skin is anodized in such a way that it cannot be polished, it has to be painted or left natural if in good shape... It COULD be a fun project, but don't expect to have it useable any time soon.>>>Dan

Thanks for all the input. I will post if & when we make a decision! Any new comments or info always appreciated!
yfx4 - The pic was a drive-by from my cell phone, so the quality was not the greatest. In person there dosen't appear to be buckling.
Utah - The owner just parked in that location & within the last month had made a 400 mile round trip with it. According to him it is in usable condition now as long as the cosmetics aren't high on your list of priorities. to qoute the owner/converter "could use a little TLC".

"They are generally NOT turbocharged and will struggle up the hills and in the mountains "

It was my understanding that these old GM 2 strokes were blown. I believe that this engine will have a roots style supercharger built into the engine. Thus the 8-71 blower that drag racers used came from these engines. I may be wrong.

The bus is really cheap(cost wise). Hope you don't have to, but don't be surprised if you have to dump 20k+ bucks into it. You really need to have it checked out by a good bus shop or one of those BUSNUTS from Bus Conversions Mag. Be very careful.
J

CPETERS, you are correct,, but the Detroit two stroke (designed in 1938) uses the "blower" to provide combustion air to the engine,, it does not provide "boost" as it would for a  valved engine.  Any "boost would have to come from a turbocharger.>>>Dan

Just went & checked it out. Motor runs strong, brakes are fresh, everything seems to be mechanically sound. Interior is completely finished just needs to be personalized a little for our liking. Drivable condition. Many extra parts included, worked a better deal than asking price. Will update when we get it home!

The so called blower on a GMC adds no boost at all. What it does is blow out the exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. Most all of these old GMC's do not have a turbo, but they sure could use one! Still a good engine just not very powerfull and uses a lot of fuel, very good low speed set up though being a two stroke. Would be worth while to have it checked out at a good truck out fit for sure, may cost an hour or so time but for what parts and labor are on these it would be worth it I believe., Good Luck! could be real fun.

As was mentioned the Roots belt drive supercharger is necessary to feed air to the engine and scavenge the exhaust. Those screamin' jimmys need to be run on the pin to make any kind of power. As long as you are reasonably handy at minor repairs (they will keep you busy) you should be ok with the old girl. Leave lots of room on the c/c for fuel.

These particular engines use a GEAR drive system for the blower and the 4106 engine lays over to one side at 40 degrees and is a sidewinder with a V drive to the trans. I'm curious to see if the trans has been changed to an automatic.>>>Dan  There is only two automatic transmissions that will fit the 06,, the Allison V730 or the VS2-8,, I've had both)

Introduce your self at Bus Conversions Mag forum ,, there are many who have the original production logs that will tell you who the first purchaser was and various other info about that particular coach. The Spicer is a rugged trans but will take some" getting use to". Lots of luck.>>>Dan  (Meanwhile  grind me a pound)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom