Another stupid satelite question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stonefeather

Hey all,

Thanks for all the previous feedback on my first question. Really helped a lot!

Went to the lease this past w/e and successfully set up my DTV satelite. Used an old dish from pre HD upgrade, and a receiver from my bedroom at home. Was able to get a signal while wired directly into the DTV receiver, but not wired into external coax of TT.

Lost the signal when I moved the tripod to the a-frame (tongue) of the TT. (Had to b/c cattle would've knocked it over)
So the stupid question: Moving the tripod to the a-frame did not allow me to regain the sat signal. Was the dish too close to the battery and electrical interference causing the lack of signal acquisition? I leveled the pole on the tripod, reestablished azimuth and elevation, but to no avail.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance,

Cody

Or, if anyone has a better idea to rig up this satelite without a bunch of hassle, money, or time I am game! Just need to keep those darn cows away from it!

Thanks,

Cody

As long as you have an unobstructed line of sight to the satellite, you should be able to point the antenna.  The actual line of sight is about 20? higher than the dish  points, so look for low branches, etc.

For non-HD antennas that only need to be aimed at one satellite, a roof mount manual antenna is much easier to point.  We've had the Winegard for 12+ years and it's the easiest way to get satellite TV we've found.

Stonefeather said:
Was able to get a signal while wired directly into the DTV receiver, but not wired into external coax of TT.
Many RVs have a splitter in the "cable" input.  DirecTV passes current to the LNB.  The splitter blocks the required current.  Could this be your problem?

Stonefeather said:
Or, if anyone has a better idea to rig up this satelite without a bunch of hassle, money, or time I am game! Just need to keep those darn cows away from it!

Thanks,

Cody
Could you set it on the roof?

Edit:  As for losing the signal when you moved it, you may have a bad cable.  Check the connectors.

If everything else is the same (coax to rv, etc), then you just need to fuss with the alignment. It's probably not aimed at theright satellite.

Electrical intereference is a non-issue

I concur with Gary in reply #5.  Sometimes I would be sure I was right on and just another ten minutes of futzing would find the bird.  I assume you are using the audible signal strength feature in the receiver?  Helps if you can see the TV while you are slowly moving the dish in case you catch just the edge of the beam while sweeping through it.  Also, check for any barrels or line splices you may have.  They might not pass a high enough frequency, but as Gary points out, if you are identical to previous set up, you probably just need to keep looking for the right bird.  Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom