A warning about renting an RV in Denver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConnedBrit

Watch out for 3C's RV Rentals in Denver - they operate under various names including RV Rental of DIA, RV Rental of Denver, Mile High RV Rental, and Craigslist RV Rental for Less.  These people are deeply dishonest. The RV we rented was shabby and poorly maintained: there were stains on the carpet, mattresses, lights and shutters were broken, the washer-dryer didn't work and the RV was poorly equipped.  More worryingly, the RV was also unsafe. The driver's seat belt was significantly frayed in several places, the catch on the passenger's seat belt was broken and the tyres were 10 years old, as we discovered when one blew on the interstate. Apparently, it is recommended that tyres are replaced every six (Ford) to seven (standard practice) years. We ended up being highly inconvenienced and paying $1000 to have the tyre replaced but I guess we were lucky not to have been involved in a serious accident. We are still awaiting the return of our deposit, reimbursement for the tyre and an apology! This company is appalling and the RVs are a disgrace. If you value your safety (and bank balances) do not rent RVs from this company.

Thanks for the report and sorry to hear of your problems. It's probably best to stick with the major rental companies, e.g. CruiseAmerica RV.

I'm not sure that renting shabby equipment makes them dishonest, though. Unethical, perhaps, but it's not dishonest to give poor value for the dollar.

Sorry you had such a bad experience; but it does bring up the point that perhaps you should have rejected it as a rental unit in the poor condition you describe.  I would have refused it and asked for another unit; or asked to get my deposit back.  Renting an RV is an expensive endeavor.

Marsha~

[quote author=Marsha/CA].... perhaps you should have rejected it as a rental unit in the poor condition you describe.[/quote]

I have to agree with Marsha. I've rejected rental vehicles at Heathrow airport because, on inspection, they were in need of repair.

Meanwhile, realize that much of the poor condition of the RV was caused by prior renters. Of course, you'd expect the rental company to make an attempt to repair & clean things up. But I suspect that some low-cost rental companies are operating on a shoestring.

You might wish to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Denver/Boulder here. They can't do anything for you, but at least your complaint will be visible to other potential renters.

paying $1000 to have the tyre replaced

Good grief. Where were you when you requested a new tyre be brought to you?

Had the same experience with RV Rentals of DIA, also known as Mile High RV Rentals and 3C's RV Rentals.  There is a reason they keep changing their name -- they don't return your deposit!

Before you consider them, read bad feedback elsewhere, bad reviews by Denver channel 7's "Troubleshooter",  an "F" rating by the BBB.  They aren't just poor quality, they are dishonest and ConnedBrit is absolutley right.  Sorry about your experience, ConnedBrit but you are absolutely right on.

This company (by either name, also 3C's RV Rental) is truly bad news.  Stay away (and watch out for them with another name soon ...)

To those that would dismiss ConnedBrit's comments, consider if you would scrap your vacation when faced with a sub-par rental?  There aren't any "other units" with this company, so it's their way or nothing.  Been there, done that.  Put up with a poor quality vehicle and then they don't return deposits.

We rented from these people http://www.birdrv.com/index.php Bird RV Rental when we were in Denver, (2003) though they only do travel trailers we found the guy very honest and helpful, although I don't think the rates are as cheap as Cruise America.

'I'm not sure that renting shabby equipment makes them dishonest, though. Unethical, perhaps, but it's not dishonest to give poor value for the dollar'

With the greatest of respect, the equipment was more than shabby.  When we first saw the RV we could see that its interior had not been maintained to the highest standards, but wrongly assumed that the lack was maintenance was confined to its superficial appearance.  And I would be the first to admit that we were niave.  In Britain, every vehicle that is on the road must be tested annually to ensure its road worthiness.  We had no idea that the same is not true of all states in the USA.  My complaint was not primarily the appearance of the vehicle, although this was irritating, but the discovery that the RV was actually unsafe.  In my opinion, supplying a vehicle with aged tyres and frayed seatbelts is, at the very least,  dishonest, particularly given that the company's web-site assures renters that every vehicle is checked by an accredited mechanic.  This company's dishonesty is further demonstrated by their most recent efforts to avoid returning my deposit by falsely claiming bankruptcy.

As far as rejecting the vehicle was concerned, as I have explained, we were not initially aware of the full extent of the lack of maintenance.  We had also already invested a substantial sum of money into the holiday - ?2400 on flights alone, and after a long trans-atlantic flight were anxious to get on the road.  Ultimately, we made the mistake of not checking the reviews on the web-site - stupid, but not an offence, which is more than can be said for the 'business dealings' of this appalling company.

That is the problem buying/renting site unseen.  I think a few businesses pray upon people having to part with their money before they actually see what they are getting into.  I don't know how to prevent though.  If the business is fixxing cars, word would get out quick what a bad job they did.  But in the travel/tourist business it seems they can always find a new face. I don't think anybody hasn't gotten taken to the "cleaners" at least once.

Yet another name!  I've had bad experiences with this company, previously known as "RV Rental of Denver", "RV Rentals of DIA", "Mile High RV Rentals" and now watch out for "American Dream Vacations" based in Denver.

Same business, another new name.  Why do you suppose they've had four names in a year?

You will NOT get the equipment you expect, and you WILL probably lose your deposit.

Rent elsewhere!

Happy RV-ing.  RVRB

:mad:  She's at it again,  Cary Grant formerly of 3C's RV Rental is still renting her RV, this time it is on Craig's List.  Please before you rent an RV on Craig's List or anywhere in Aurora check to verify it is not Cary Grant.  Also see Channel 7 News, "The RV Shell Game", and "Aurora RV owner arrested for theft".  Be careful very careful.

Wow.  I live in Aurora and I've never heard of her.  I'll keep a watch.

Old Friend, don't just hit an run.  Do you have a dog in this hunt?

I don't have a dog in this fight but almost did. I've seen the ads on craigslist to rent anything from a pop up to a 35 ft MH and have suggested to a few friends/ family members that they check it out. Luckily none have.

I'm sorry it affected the OP's travel as it did. I hope you were able to enjoy our state in spite of the RV troubles.

Well it's back again on Craig's List, a 35 ft RV for $105 a day,  make sure you check this out real well!!!  They only take cash or checks.  I've seen that RV too many times before, looks like one owned by a lady that was showcased on Channel 7 News the Old RV Shell GAme.  Please check it out or lose your money!!!!

You might try reporting to the proper people.. one agent of the AG's office rents it and the nest thing "She" knows is... Lunch as a guest of the county, then Dinner as a guest of the state,,, for like then next 10-20 years, oh and the RV, sold at the impound auction in a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom