going to michigan in am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acctplus

years ago this site was a big help to me.  now i can't login easily. i have posted my ? 3/4 times, usually can't ever find it again.  don't expect to this time.
wanted to know how route 31 up from indianapolis to south haven michigan.  overpass  problems?  some campgrounds around peru.  or should i go up
75 from cincinnati like i always do.
Sarah

I don't think there is a technical reason why you should not get the answers.  I don't know the answers so I can't be of any help.

We most always take I-75, just because our sightseeing/vacationing generally is centered around what we're doing in Michigan, and not what is between here and there.  If we found a reason to go through Indiana, we would do it though.  The last time I did the rte 31 route there was quite a bit of traffic.

Looks like Andy replied to your question.

[quote author=acctplus]i have posted my ? 3/4 times, usually can't ever find it again.[/quote]

For future reference, click on the Profile button above, then click on Show posts; That will show you every message you've posted in this forum. Alternatively, click on the link above labeled Show new replies to your posts to see any replies you've received since you last logged into the forum.

I grew up in Indiana and didn't recognize highway 31.  However, on my US map Atlas, it shows highway 31 as being dual lane all the way north to South Bend, IN, so it should be fine.  Regarding overpasses.  You can purchase a Truck motor atlas at such places as Flying J, Pilot or T & A truck stops.  It will list all the low passes and road restrictions for trucks.  That works very well for RVs also.

Andy, I75 doesn't help with going from Indianapolis to South Haven.  I75 would take her all the way over to Toledo, OH on the east side of Michigan.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
I grew up in Indiana and didn't recognize highway 31.  However, on my US map Atlas, it shows highway 31 as being dual lane all the way north to South Bend, IN, so it should be fine.  Regarding overpasses.  You can purchase a Truck motor atlas at such places as Flying J, Pilot or T & A truck stops.  It will list all the low passes and road restrictions for trucks.  That works very well for RVs also.

Andy, I75 doesn't help with going from Indianapolis to South Haven.  I75 would take her all the way over to Toledo, OH on the east side of Michigan.

Marsha~

Hi Marsha:  I mentioned I-75 only because it was in her original post as an alternative.  Not sure where she is driving from - I assume the Cincinnati area or south of there.  The two main routes to get into Michigan are the two she identified in her original post.  From where we are, close to Cincinnati, the travel time to southwest Michigan is not much different either way.

I would go I-69 to I-94 west to 31 if I wanted a non toll freeway route

Or you could take 65 towards Gary and go east on I-94 (Shorter I think)

Then 31/196 north to 31 (Peals off of 196) to the South Haven exit.

Can't help you with RV parks in that part of the state. Only one I know is in Alamo twp (Just north of Kalamazoo) and well out of your way.

Been all over the state.. but not always with an RV.

OH and before you choose  http://www.michigan.gov/mdot for road construction info

I think state parks are at /dnr (Same url but change MDOT to DNR)

Boy, Andy, you're right!  I missed that completely.....<sometimers setting in>  Good catch!

We were in N. Canton, OH and drove down to Lexington on one of our trips a couple of years ago.  I LOVE the big rolling horse farms.  We stayed in Horse Park Campground (I think that's the name) and I was one happy camper.  I'm one of those girls who grew up loving horses and still have one.  And old fella who still thinks he's young.

I have an Uncle who lives in Lexington too, so we had a good visit with him.  He took us to a couple of great BBQ places.

Marsha~

Marsha, Andy: Sarah asked about 31 north from Indianapolis. I've driven 31 both ways a couple of times the last few months as well as in prior years. I find it very good, tho a bit of traffic until you get a north of Indy. Never even considered an overpass problem. I'd take it.

Sarah: can't help with a campground around Peru, never stopped in the area. When you get to S Haven, try the Kal-Haven CG, it is new and small, few amenities, but next to downtown and very well kept. Len & Jo stayed there a couple of months ago and liked it.

Marsha, the horse park is one of our favorite local get-a-ways!  We live about ten minutes from the campground there, and about once a month take the m/h up and stay a night.  Takes about a half hour from home to completely set-up there.  After being there an hour, it feels like we're 500 miles from the rat-race.  Very relaxing.  We like living in Lexington because it's a one day drive to the east coast, Michigan (where we're originally from), and Florida (where two of our kids live).  We also have mild winters (relatively speaking).

Back
Top Bottom