EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: $ Generator Cover  (Read 2669 times)

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
$ Generator Cover
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
When we were on our way out here (Prince William Forest Park - Quantico, VA) from KC a few weeks ago it was still very hot outside.  We run the generator and house A/C in those circumstances.  Apparently along the way I had the generator cover off and didn't get it back on securely.  The other day I opened the basement door for the generator and the cover was gone.

I knew the cover should cost about $50 but would end up being $100.  I ordered one through the local Onan dealer..................... $256 with tax and $20 shipping.  I briefly considered just not replacing it.  The owners manual warns against doing that stating that it will not get proper air circulation.  You can bet I will be double checking it in the future.
George Drake

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: $ Generator Cover
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
How the devil did the cover fall out if the door was closed? Is it just a flat panel that could somehow slip out the bottom?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
Are you talking about the whole cover or just the door? Seems a bit much for just the door.
Bill & Joan
Breeze, Bandit, & Precious
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
It is a flat panel.  The bottom edge has an upside down U that fits over the edge of the generator case.  In each upper corner are pegs that fit securely into holes.  I'm guessing that I did not have the bottom U over the edge properly and somewhere down the road a bump allowed the pegs at the top to fall out and away it went.  I am surprised that it didn't take out the windshield or something on the toad.

I generally keep that basement door locked, so I don't think it was stolen.
George Drake

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »
Bill:

It is the side of the Onan case.  Cover - door same same?  Seems way too much to me too!  Welcome to the world of RVs.
George Drake

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
Keep an eye on the rubber grommets that the locks (pegs) fit into as well. One of ours had a grommet that had split and would no longer fit tightly. I don't generally engage the locks on the doors since we access the unit daily, but I may have to rethink that practice.
Bill & Joan
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
Anytime you say RV or boat, the price usually triples.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
Anytime you say RV or boat, the price usually triples.

If you think the price goes up alot when you say RV or Boat try saying Airplane and see where the price goes.  >:( >:(
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Brother Bill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
We used to run into the same thing on a lesser scale in the garage. Cadillac / Chevy or Lincoln / Ford.
Bill & Joan
Kansas City, MO
95 Dutch Star

ochidoc

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
There must be an epidemic.. or else these generator covers are having a convention somewhere that no one told us about.  We lost ours somewhere in the middle of South Dakota. . . Haven't gotten a price yet.   Your post was not encouraging.   :(    Our generator does overheat  and shut down since it was lost.   ......   

doc

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
If you think the price goes up alot when you say RV or Boat try saying Airplane and see where the price goes.  >:( >:(

You've got that right...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:49:46 AM »
There must be an epidemic.. or else these generator covers are having a convention somewhere that no one told us about.  We lost ours somewhere in the middle of South Dakota.
Makes me think I might come up with some sort of safety cable or something.  It wouldn't take much.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Makes me think I might come up with some sort of safety cable or something.  It wouldn't take much.
I use a couple of black electrical zip ties as backup on my fridge compartment panel cover.  I cut them and replace them if I need to get in there.  Maybe similar usage could be made here...
Frank
Florida

rick_in_denver

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
I use a couple of black electrical zip ties as backup on my fridge compartment panel cover.  I cut them and replace them if I need to get in there.  Maybe similar usage could be made here...

Excellent idea!  I suppose having a zip tie discretely hanging on the side of your rig is preferable to not having the reefer panel in place.

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
Excellent idea!  I suppose having a zip tie discretely hanging on the side of your rig is preferable to not having the reefer panel in place.
You really have to look to see it.  It's the same color as the coach in that area.  I pull it snug, clip the excess, and then slide the joint to the inside.
Frank
Florida

M1894

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
A good friend lost one of these panels, and after seeing the price, he just duct taped a piece of hard board in place. Since I felt sorry for him, I made him one out of a piece of aluminum, and used 6 dsuz fasteners to hold it in place. He used some 1/2" thick hard foam with a metallic facing to suppress the sound. Total cost was $6.85 for the fasteners, and a piece of .060" Aluminum that he scrounged from the Sheetmetal shop at the base.
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Photog

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
For future reference, I have had two of them disappear.  :(  I got used replacements from Onan at a very reasonable price.  About $50 or $60 as I recall. I got new grommets after I lost the first one and so far the second one is staying in place.  :)
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Hosted by Over The Network