$ Generator Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
When we were on our way out here (Prince William Forest Park - Quantico, VA) from KC a few weeks ago it was still very hot outside.  We run the generator and house A/C in those circumstances.  Apparently along the way I had the generator cover off and didn't get it back on securely.  The other day I opened the basement door for the generator and the cover was gone.

I knew the cover should cost about $50 but would end up being $100.  I ordered one through the local Onan dealer..................... $256 with tax and $20 shipping.  I briefly considered just not replacing it.  The owners manual warns against doing that stating that it will not get proper air circulation.  You can bet I will be double checking it in the future.

It is a flat panel.  The bottom edge has an upside down U that fits over the edge of the generator case.  In each upper corner are pegs that fit securely into holes.  I'm guessing that I did not have the bottom U over the edge properly and somewhere down the road a bump allowed the pegs at the top to fall out and away it went.  I am surprised that it didn't take out the windshield or something on the toad.

I generally keep that basement door locked, so I don't think it was stolen.

Bill:

It is the side of the Onan case.  Cover - door same same?  Seems way too much to me too!  Welcome to the world of RVs.

Keep an eye on the rubber grommets that the locks (pegs) fit into as well. One of ours had a grommet that had split and would no longer fit tightly. I don't generally engage the locks on the doors since we access the unit daily, but I may have to rethink that practice.

There must be an epidemic.. or else these generator covers are having a convention somewhere that no one told us about.  We lost ours somewhere in the middle of South Dakota. . . Haven't gotten a price yet.  Your post was not encouraging.  :(    Our generator does overheat  and shut down since it was lost.  ......   

doc

ochidoc said:
There must be an epidemic.. or else these generator covers are having a convention somewhere that no one told us about.  We lost ours somewhere in the middle of South Dakota.
Makes me think I might come up with some sort of safety cable or something.  It wouldn't take much.

Molaker said:
Makes me think I might come up with some sort of safety cable or something.  It wouldn't take much.
I use a couple of black electrical zip ties as backup on my fridge compartment panel cover.  I cut them and replace them if I need to get in there.  Maybe similar usage could be made here...

AllegroRV [KodiakRV] said:
I use a couple of black electrical zip ties as backup on my fridge compartment panel cover.  I cut them and replace them if I need to get in there.  Maybe similar usage could be made here...

Excellent idea!  I suppose having a zip tie discretely hanging on the side of your rig is preferable to not having the reefer panel in place.

rick_in_denver said:
Excellent idea!  I suppose having a zip tie discretely hanging on the side of your rig is preferable to not having the reefer panel in place.
You really have to look to see it.  It's the same color as the coach in that area.  I pull it snug, clip the excess, and then slide the joint to the inside.

A good friend lost one of these panels, and after seeing the price, he just duct taped a piece of hard board in place. Since I felt sorry for him, I made him one out of a piece of aluminum, and used 6 dsuz fasteners to hold it in place. He used some 1/2" thick hard foam with a metallic facing to suppress the sound. Total cost was $6.85 for the fasteners, and a piece of .060" Aluminum that he scrounged from the Sheetmetal shop at the base.

For future reference, I have had two of them disappear.  :(  I got used replacements from Onan at a very reasonable price.  About $50 or $60 as I recall. I got new grommets after I lost the first one and so far the second one is staying in place.  :)

Back
Top Bottom