Where to store disposable Propane Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
Tony, read Just Lou's entry. Seems like the secret is to fill them when they are ice cold. The Vapor will condense into liquid.
Ahh, ok.  No wait a minute.  Hmm, I gotta think about that one for a bit.  But sure, that could make sense.  Although I would've thought more than a few minutes in the freezer.  OTOH once it starts condensing into liquid it might get colder.

Tony_Alberta said:
I didn't realize that the 1 lb tanks could be refilled.  But I'm not sure what the physics would be.  After all what comes out of the larger tank when it's in it's proper orientation is a vapour and not liquid.  So do you turn the large bottle on it's side or upside down or what?

You turn the large tank completely upside down.  The empty 1lb canisters take only a few minutes to chill in a 0? freezer.  You can leave them in the freezer as long as you like.  (Just don't test them with your tongue)  Trust me, they will be cold to the touch when finished filling also.

I'm not sure that you have to remove the small cylinder while the larger one is still upside down, but I generally just tip it until I can easily remove the small one.

You do realize it's illegal to transport a refilled disposable cylinder?  No law against refilling them, but it's against DOT regulations to carry them in a vehicle if they've been refilled.

There are portable cylinders that are made to be refilled.  Main differences are valves that are certified for reuse and having the cylinder itself made out of thicker metal.

I'd think relieving pressure via the Schrader valve on the top of the 1 lb. cylinder would do a lot towards getting liquid propane from the big tank into the smaller one.

Lou Schneider said:
You do realize it's illegal to transport a refilled disposable cylinder?  No law against refilling them, but it's against DOT regulations to carry them in a vehicle if they've been refilled.

There are portable cylinders that are made to be refilled.  Main differences are valves that are certified for reuse and having the cylinder itself made out of thicker metat.

Who said anything about transporting them.  We were discussing storage options.

[quote author=Just Lou]Who said anything about transporting them.  We were discussing storage options.[/quote]

C'mon Lou,

Sufficient respondents in this topic transport the "stored" tanks for it to be a transport issue too.

Just Lou said:
You turn the large tank completely upside down. 
Ok, now it makes sense to me.  You're moving the liquid from tank to tank and not the vapour.  Hmm, I wonder if it gurgles?  :)

Tom said:
C'mon Lou,

Sufficient respondents in this topic transport the "stored" tanks for it to be a transport issue too.

Are you going to report me to the propane police if I admit to transporting them?

One popular interpretation of the DOT prohibition statement is that it is only illegal to commercially transport the refilled bottles (e.g. for resale or delivery for resale).  I hope I never have to put that interpretation to a test, but how is anyone going to know that I refilled anything?

Just Lou said:
I hope I never have to put that interpretation to a test, but how is anyone going to know that I refilled anything?
Maybe by the mushroom cloud? ;D

I guess my position on refilling 1 lb. bottles, regardless of transportation, is "Why?"  Are you really that broke or just really that stingy?

Molaker said:
Maybe by the mushroom cloud? ;D

I guess my postion on refilling 1 lb. bottles, regardless of transportation, is "Why?"  Are you really that broke or just really that stingy?

Thanks for the compliments, Tom...  I didn't realize those were the only two possible answers.

[quote author=Just Lou]Are you going to report me to the propane police if I admit to transporting them?[/quote]

Lou, it has nowt to do with reporting. I'm a safety guy, especially when it comes to boating. I couldn't give a rats how you store or transport your propane cylinders, but I'll raise a flag and inform. Beyond that, wallow on in ignorance.

Since I'm a boater, our regulations are dictated by the US Coast Guard regulations. I pretty much follow the same rules on land.

YMMMV.

I refilled a dozen times and decided it was not worth the effort & risk to save $1/bottle. We only use a3-4 bottles a year, so it's not a big deal. I'll sell my refill fitting cheap if someone else wants to give it a whirl.

As Lou says, you have to completely invert the source container so as to get liquid propane,  and pre-chill the bottles to get them near full.  Occasionally one will leak at the valve and have to be discarded too.

Tom, I like to think that I'm fairly safety conscious myself.  There are certain things that I don't care to do.
E.g., I no longer jump out of perfectly good airplanes and I will not fry bacon naked. 
I may add re-filling disposable propane bottles to that list, but I won't wet myself worrying about a lot of other things.

I guess I will just, as you so kindly put it, "wallow on in ignorance".

Gary RV Roamer said:
I refilled a dozen times and decided it was not worth the effort & risk to save $1/bottle. We only use a3-4 bottles a year, so it's not a big deal. I'll sell my refill fitting cheap if someone else wants to give it a whirl.

As Lou says, you have to completely invert the source container so as to get liquid propane,  and pre-chill the bottles to get them near full.  Occasionally one will leak at the valve and have to be discarded too.

Gary, I've probably refilled fewer canisters even than you. :)  I do have six currently (three, that I carry in the coach).  My adapter was obtained free, as it came with a used pop-up that I purchased years ago.  It was marked $12.  I probably would never have paid that much for one.

I re-filled my first few bottles due to an extended power outage during a winter ice storm several winters ago.  I needed them for indoor use of my Mr. Heater.  They saved the day.... The idea of saving money wasn't even a consideration at the time.

I don't use a lot of them either, but do find them handy during surf fishing trips for lanterns, grills and stoves.  I have three 20lb bottles on my back deck for use with my grill and smoker so I generally have the resources available.

This discussion has made me more aware of the safety issues, but I'll probably continue.

Iv been filling these little bottles for many years.  NO Safty issues.  IF you have stoves, lanters, cooktops, etc  that are equipped for these little bottles and have no other means to make the appliances work, then refilling them is a must. 
The bottles are $2.50 a piece , not a buck.  Thats 2.50 a lb. for propane.  Now I can fill my BBQ bottle for $17.00 for 20 lbs.  Thats .85 cents a lb for propane.  Now if you want to pay $2.50 a lb for propane, then go ahead and buy new bottles, but dont call me cheap for re-filling my little bottles.  I could call you something else for overpaying for propane. 

The biggest safety issue to me would be only storing those refilled bottles in a vented storage compartment which didn't have any electrical wiring.    Which was mentioned by someone upthread.

Hey, do whatever works for you.  I figured I was saving about $1/bottle by refilling. So maybe it's $1.50/bottle. With the amount I consume, I was saving maybe $6/year.  If you use a lot more,  it perhaps begins to make more sense. As with most RV things, Your Mileage May Vary.

I find it more convenient to carry a 5# and a 10# bottle and a use an adapter hose if do a lot of grilling. Otherwise, I buy  4 bottles for $10 and usually have some left over for the next year.

Back
Top Bottom