Solar panel trickle charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarpy

I have a solar panel on my 1999 Discovery 36T that is supposed to keep a trickle charge on the batteries when in storage.  Question - should I flip the house and aux battery panel switches to "disconnect" when storing, or does that keep the panel from charging the batteries? 

Thanks,
John

I have a small solar pannel (1.8 amps) that keeps the battery at it's current  ( no pun intended ) level . I keep the switch turned off, so the batteery will not lose any of it's charge
H

Whether or not the switch would prevent a charge would depend on where in the system the charger is connected., If connected directly to the batteries, then the switch position won't matter.

Typically those little solar panels are connected direct, but its hard to say without examining your particular wiring set-up. And it will only charge one of the battery sets, either house or chassis.

For storage of more thana  week it is probably best to turn of the disconnects to reduce the phantom loads on the batteries.

I've thought about this to. I have a small panel on top But Can not find where it goes. I've looked and it is not directly to the battery's. Might have been disconnected at some point in time. If I run the wires to the house battery's will it keep the set of 6 volt charged?

will it keep the set of 6 volt charged

Short answer, "If you use less from the batteries than it supplies". If this is to just keep them topped off while in storage, then probably. Otherwise, it depends on the size/output of the panel and the size of your battery bank and how much power you use.

Frank

My understanding is the solar charger is only for float for a short period, say 3 - 4 weeks tops if you're not using anything. That low of a charge will not even keep up with phantom loads for much longer than that. If it's going to be stored longer then attach a powered charger or pull the battery disconnect.

Back
Top Bottom