New and in need of resources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68FleetWing

Hello,

I was just able to pick up a completely original 1968 FleetWing travel trailer. I haven't measured the trailer itself, but from the hitch to the tail it's about 14 1/2 feet. There's just two of us, so small was fine. We used to tent camp a lot, but now I wanted something we can bring the dogs and expand the season a little bit (we're in New England), so the trailer was the perfect option.

Well, as you can imagine, "completely original" means just that ... it's all intact and in decent shape, but definitely in need of a restoration. No leaks and the floor is solid, so just some updating and BIG cleaning!

My question is that I haven't been able to find much of anything at all on FleetWing trailers. It still has the original markings (name and bird outlines) on the outside, so I'm sure that's what it is. Does anyone have an idea? I did read that they stopped making them a while ago (early '70s maybe?). I'm really looking for some wiring/plumbing (water/gas) diagrams and just some basic info. to see what I've got here! I won't use any of the those systems until I go over them for safety reasons.

I'm also interested in looking at new or refurbed retro parts that would fit the camper if anyone has some websites to check out.

Thanks, great to be here!

Jeff

Jeff,

Click here for some links to various new and used parts suppliers.

I've actually seen one on the road and also see them mentioned occasionally on the net, usually for sale. It appears they were made until sometime in the mid-late 70's or possibly even into the 80's.  As you have noted, what little data is flaoting around is pretty vague.  There is a Eagle model and a Traveler model, but I know nothing about either of them.

The chances of getting any diagrams for wiring or plumbing are slim and none. Few RV manufacturers ever provide them, probably because they changeso  frequently. Rvs really aren't made in mass production like automobiles and there is a lot of variability as floor plans change or features are added or modified. Some are essentially custom made, especially back in those days, when labor was cheap and workers with plumbing and electrical skills readily available.

The good news is that todays appliances can be substituted for the old ones, 12V is still 12V and LPG gas systems still run on 11 WC inches of pressure, just like they did back then.  You will no doubt have a lot of fun renovating this old timer and have a unique RV to show for it. Sounds like a fun project to me!

Tom and Gary, Thanks for the info. The links and background are really helpful. I do anticipate a fun project! Like any restoration there will definitely be pieces that I update and those that are ok to restore, although I aim to keep the original charactar as much as I can. Hoping to have it roadworthy for a maiden voyage in mid-late May.

Thanks again.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We'd be very interested in reading about your progress on this project. If there's anything that merits a photo or two, we'd love to see those also.

Hi Jeff,

Last year when we were in Kernville, Calif during the last part of October there was a Vintage TRailer Rally at the campground we stayed.  All sorts of vintage trailers were there; ones that look like little toasters; ones that open in the back and ones that have the little wings sticking out past the back of the trailer. 

We spent some time talking to the folks and it's a club that restores the trailers to their original condition.  They were talking about how they got parts and plans for the trailers.  I'm sorry I don't have a web site for you; but they all met on the internet and formed this club so they could exchange information.  Perhaps you could do a search hopefully find them.

Marsha~

Tom, I'll definitely be photographing the process and will try to get some things up as work progresses.

Marsha, thanks for the info! I'll do some searching and see what I come up with, but the background should prove very helpful.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to reading about it.

Back
Top Bottom