wipers won't turn off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjdangler

on 06 sightseer the windshield wipers won't shut off, unless i pull fuse in dash. quite annoying. will work on high and low speeds but not intermediate. this only happens when ing. is in on position. help!

I'm betting you're on a Workhorse chassis?
Common problem having to do with plugs under the hood getting wet. Do they shut off after the rain stops? IF it's like my Adventurer, there are two plugs between the firewall and the wiper motor. Take them apart and dry as best you can, air compressor or hair dryer, I think it is the corrsion build up on the contacts that gets wet and looses contact, acts like a bad ground. Some have had luck wrapping the connectors with tape, others use a plastic bag. I used tape AND put in an inline switch so I can effectively pull the fuse by flipping the switch. Not a great fix but, it works.

MJ.  Chevy has long had issues with the wiper switch on the side of the column.  That might not be fair, I should say I know Chevy has had these problems, others might as well.  If it's not a water short, it's possible and probable that the blinker/highbeam/turn indicater mechanism gave out.  I do belive you have to open up the column to replace it.  Not hard, but very time consuming.  Here's hoping it's a water short.  ;)

Thanks Broken Gizmoes. That's what it must be. Checked all connections, everything looks good. I can't get top of column  cover off. Looks like ing. switch needs to be removed. Any ideas? Also is there a seprate delay module for the wipers, or is it all in one?

I had the same problem on my 2004 Duramax. I replaced the wiper stalk only to find that it wasn't the problem. I finally took off the piece on top of the wiper motor and replaced it with a new one.
It seems that as they get older the solder on this part separates and no longer makes contact.
This was the fix I used and it has worked fine since then.
ACDELCO Part # 88958372 Wiper motor cover

Mike

Peddler said:
I'm betting you're on a Workhorse chassis?
Common problem having to do with plugs under the hood getting wet. Do they shut off after the rain stops? IF it's like my Adventurer, there are two plugs between the firewall and the wiper motor. Take them apart and dry as best you can, air compressor or hair dryer, I think it is the corrsion build up on the contacts that gets wet and looses contact, acts like a bad ground. Some have had luck wrapping the connectors with tape, others use a plastic bag. I used tape AND put in an inline switch so I can effectively pull the fuse by flipping the switch. Not a great fix but, it works.

Can this be the problem if the wipers won't come or come on when they feel like it?

MJ - did you ever find the problem?  I have (since new on '05 Voyage) the same issue, have talked with Winnebago, many RV dealers and various others with no joy.  I almost forgot about it, but you are right, it is a real pain to keep pulling fuses....

MJ.  I don't know if there's a delay switch or relay for the wipers.  My experience is limited to the physical turn switch.  They aren't cheap, but I'll bet the guy at Kragen or Napa could advise you on this. 

I almost forgot.  If you decide to peel the column and replace the whole switch, identify all the wires first.  I can almost guarantee the new switch will have all different color coded wires than the original, and it probably wont be plug and play.  Ya know, you could get a 2 dollar toggle switch at Radio Shack and wire it into the power supply, then stick it anywhere that's convenient for ya.  That would give you a quick fix until you have the time and desire to go into that column.  And if you DO go into that mess, no pets or wife around ya.  They might never forgive you for the things that come out of your mouth!!!

Back
Top Bottom