mapping campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivannme1223

hello.. we are renting an rv to drive from new york to new orleans and back again.  Is there an online tool to get directions that will map out campgrounds and stops along the way? thank you in advance.

My favorite tool is installed and it gives you routes, campgrounds restaurants, everything.  map Point from Microsoft.  Also will take GPS inut to plot your actual position. 

It also downloads construction when you instruct it to.

Depends on how much "mapping" you want. There is online information in the form of campground guides from Trailer Life, Woodalls and Wheelers (look up website sunder those names) and Trailer Life  and Wheelers have their guide in CD form for use in your own computer as well.  The Trailer Life has a combined map disk and campground guide called Campground Navigator and you can actually ploy a route from campground to campground. I personally don't like it, but some folks find it useful. See http://reserveamerica.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=30964

First, there is Woodalls  (Sorry don't have the URL off hand, should  but can't find it)
And then there is Trailer life
https://www.tldirectory.com/member/register/thanks.cfm?gotopage=http://www.tldirectory.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&fn=950000734

Then there is http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm

Which, if memory serves, carries many different types of map overlays.

I use a program called Microsoft Streets & Trips (the overlays for S&T are off screen on the right, just scroll right and you will find them)  (Alas thing are running very slow tonight)

You simply load one file, or import data on the rest, and it will put push pins at all sorts of camp grounds and other places on the map.. Very useful,  Groups campgrounds by affilation as well, Good sams is one file, Coast to Coast another, Coast to Coast good neighbor yet another,  And much, much, much, more

I'll re-reply to this if I get things up to speed here.. It's storming out and though I'm DSL not SAT, it still affects things

RV Roamer said:
The Trailer Life has a combined map disk and campground guide called Campground Navigator and you can actually ploy a route from campground to campground. I personally don't like it, but some folks find it useful. See http://reserveamerica.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=30964

Gary

I'm with you. Each year I purchase the CD hopping that they come up with a better product, each year I'm disappointed. So the CD is considered as an updated campground directory. The routing function stinks. They should consider teaming up with Delorme and reviving the old AAA CD or team up with MS for good routing and let Trailerlife supply the campground on CD not the Woodalls stuff where you need to follow an on line link for info. I guess all things considered the current product is somewhat better than previous issues.

Nelson

We use the TL CD as a quicker version of the paper directory.  I would not use it for trip routing.  It does seem to have all the same inforamation on campgrounds as the paper version.  I find it much easier to use when in motion than wrestling with the big book.

N Smock said:
Gary
The routing function stinks. They should consider teaming up with Delorme and reviving the old AAA CD or team up with MS for good routing and let

If you go to the Discovery link I posted they have data files for importing into MS Streets and Trips or several other map programs (most all of them in fact) so you can use the Streets and Trips routing to find the campground.

Also, S&T comes with the Woodalls directory of campgrounds pre-loaded, Here is how to use it

Step one, go to VIEW drop down menu and choose SHOW OR HIDE PLACES  (near bottom of list in 2005 version)
Go to the PLACES tab (it opens to restaurants tab) and make sure campgrounds is checked

(You need do this only if campgrounds was not checked when last you closed the program)

Now, right click on a destination,,, Example, Dallas Tx and choose "Find nearby places" change the distance if you wish, and on the left is a list of place categories it found.  Choose campgrounds and then you can click on them one after the other till you find one where you wish to stay.

Now, right click on the campground (on the map) and choose ROUTE and add as destination.

Click on the car above and you will find that spot listed as where you are going... If you have GPS you simply click on GO THERE at the bottom and you have a route... Now, you may not want this route.  MS S&T defaults to the shortest route,,, so click on more options and choose "prefered roads" otherwise, like me, you may end up on Cottonwood Canyon Rd (a goat trail over a mountain) which you really don't want to travel in a motor home.

Though I did make it from end to end in one piece.. I strongly recommend against trying to duplicate the feat, The towed car was not so lucky don't you know (MH no damage, Towed, about 2k in damages and I have a good discount body man)

Ned said:
We use the TL CD as a quicker version of the paper directory.? I would not use it for trip routing.? It does seem to have all the same inforamation on campgrounds as the paper version.? I find it much easier to use when in motion than wrestling with the big book.

We haven't tried the current version of the TL CD.  Was so put off by previous versions we just gave up on them.  Are you telling us they finbally got their act together?

John In Detroit said:
Now, right click on a destination,,, Example, Dallas Tx and choose "Find nearby places" change the distance if you wish, and on the left is a list of place categories it found. Choose campgrounds and then you can click on them one after the other till you find one where you wish to stay.

Now, right click on the campground (on the map) and choose ROUTE and add as destination.

John

The problem with S&T is that the details of the campground is online. I'm intrested if they can handle large trailers, that is missing. That is why TL should team up with S&T to have data oon the CD since an online connection is not always possible.

Nelson

The 2006 TL CD is the most useful one to date.  But, as I said, I still wouldn't use it for routing.

Back
Top Bottom