modifications: cathode ray to Flat screen TV install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don_p

Our Coach House, 2001  has the older fat TV and a seperate VCR that we want to replace with an integrated TV/DVD unit. 
Has anyone done this upgrade already that we can borrow ideas from? 
a) cabinets: Should we take out the existing cabinet, so gain some room and then afix the flat screen to the side of the remaining cabinet?
b) what electrical work will need to be redone? 

existing setup:
http://tinypic.com/r/vqjdoi/7
http://tinypic.com/r/9zsya0/7

Take the old TV out and throw it away.  Get your tape measure and measure the opening.  Now go to Best Buy or your favorite store and buy the largest TV that fits inside your measurements.  DO NOT get one of the combo units.  You will regret it till the day you sell the RV.  A quality DVD player today is cheap to buy and if it gives up the ghost, simply go buy another one.  If a combo unit dies, you are basically screwed.

DO NOT get one of the combo units.  You will regret it till the day you sell the RV.  A quality DVD player today is cheap to buy and if it gives up the ghost, simply go buy another one.

I TOTALLY agree - listen to this advice.

donn said:
If a combo unit dies, you are basically screwed.
Not really.  I bought a combo and if the DVD player fails, I'll just get a separate DVD player.  In the meantime, I enjoy the ease and convenience of a combo.  The total cost over a TV only wasn't that much anyway.

Thanks for so much for all the helpful ideas/info above

The dual 12V and 110V TVs (or even combos) I have come across are not that good looking and they are maximum 19". 

1. What do you guys think about: a PC that has TV tuner built-in?  Correct me, I am thinking PC's/laptops come in 20V and then you use AC adapter to use it for 110V? I know there are adapters that convert pc's 20V to 11-14V required for car 12V outlets ... but then could you just run it on 12V.  Aren't you here over-relying on your auxiliary batteries, or you think that is not to worry, since you can charge them using generator after say every hr?
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_Desktops

2. Another wild idea is?: to modify the existing cabinet and making it friendly for a big laptop say 17"?  That way the pc TV would have a backup battery of its own and I think laptops run pretty much hours on its own battery without needing a hookup (and they charge pretty quick too).  http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666342395

Both the above solutions give a lot of extras as well like a webcam, internet access, etc.  I do have Sprint 4G/3G unlimited so perhaps can put that to use.  Ok I have to admit, my head is hurting now.

I still think your best bet is two-part:

(1) Yank out the old TV, modify the opening, and install a good 26" or 32" flat screen, depending of course on how much room you have.

(2) For computer access, get an inexpensive laptop or even a netbook, which we use in our motorhome. It has a webcam and apparently a pretty good WiFi antenna. Ours is an Acer.

Sometimes simpler is better.

Just because we can do something does not necessarily mean we should.

In the component-hostile RV environment I would stick with proven, simpler, easier-to-maintain/repair options.

Take a look in our library (button at the top of the screen) then look at "conversion & remodels" I think you will find some info there.  I did a modification to our 5th wheel and here is PDF file of what I did.  I think that the others may be correct, getting a combo unit may be a bad idea.

Attachments

• Replacing+Analog+TV+with+LED+HD+TV1[1].pdf
    98.1 KB · Views: 14
wow, I have to say, your modifications look really nice.  Though unfortunately, in my existing cabinet, a maximum of 13" will fit, which I hate to put.  I like your setups but you guys have bigger cabinets. 

I'm getting tempted by Honest John's setup, since I am thinking that I could put a 19-20" screen using that swing door and the rest of the TV would just be hanging on the sides, which to me is okay, right?  You see any issues, putting a larger TV then that swing door would itself be?

and one more question.  Since I have a smaller van and the concept here is dry camping (with just deep cycle batteries and Onan 2.8kw generator), do you think a dual "12V" (and 120V) TV is a lot useful vs just the 120V?

don_p said:
and one more question.  Since I have a smaller van and the concept here is dry camping (with just deep cycle batteries and Onan 2.8kw generator), do you think a dual "12V" (and 120V) TV is a lot useful vs just the 120V?

Hi Don ... I guess no one has any thoughts on your last question. I can only comment on my situation. I have the Winnebago ERA and it came with the Visio 22" LED HD Television and a Jensen CD/DVD radio system. I didn't even realize that it ran on 12V until I happen to try it one time when I was boondocking ... which I do most of the time.  I'm still not sure if the TV is dual 12V / 120 V. In my case it is irrelevant at the moment since I seldom use shore power or the generator just to watch TV.

Anyway... since I am new to the whole RVing thing I had no idea how much battery power the TV would take. I tried it for an hour at a time and went up from there. I can now use it for up to 6-8 hours at a time on occasion plus using the furnace (fan) and I use an adapter to plug in my 120 V CPAP machine into the 12V socket. I use that all night long ... all on battery power. In the morning I check and it shows that in most cases I have only used about 1/3 of the coach battery power. I figure that was pretty good. Since I got the RV I have only had a chance to use it in the winter and a lot of the time the temperatures have been hovering at or below freezing. I do have a generator if needed to top up the battery but have never had to do that.

I'm sure you have already made your modifications but thought I would add my 2?.

Back
Top Bottom