Talbot Express (Autohome) Calypso power socket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geoff_T

Hi

Earlier this year I bought a nice condition 1991 Calypso motor home. Next to the Zig power panel there is a two pin polarised 12 volt socket.

Does anyone know if the mating plug is still available somewhere? They used to be very common in the 1960's!

Or better to replace with car lighter style sockets like my Fleetwood Jamboree?

Thanks

Geoff and Sally Tanner

Hi

When I am next in the UK I am just going to replace it with a regular car lighter socket...

Seems like finding a plug for the original is a lost cause...

Geoff and Sally

Geoff,

Do you have a picture you could post?

Hi Tom

The one in this photo... I still think replacing it might be easiest though I could make an adaptor cable if I could find a plug to suit.

Best regards

Geoff and Sally

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 33
The spacing seems about right for a US style non-polarized 120 volt plug like this one, if you twist the blades a bit.  I did that when I visited AU a few years back to fit a US plug into their 240 volt outlets and it worked fine.

Avoid the polarized version of the US plugs - these have one blade larger than the other and probably won't fit.

That's what I was thinking Lou, which made me wonder if it is a 12V socket, or a 120 (or 240V) socket. If 12V, might be easier to just install a regular 12V/cig lighter socket.

Hi

Thanks Tom and Lou but the connector is about 3/4" square if you compare to other equipment on the panel. Decades ago you used to be able to buy similar from Halfords as a pair. As it's 12v I think I will go with the lighter socket... the panel is cut away and easy to get hand behind to tighten nut, etc.

Best regards

Geoff and Sally

Sounds good Geoff. Sorry we weren't much help.

Good old Halfords; Are they still around?

Hi Tom

Well, Kinda, Sorta...... http://www.halfords.com/

But when I was a lad you could buy actual pattern parts like Norton motorcycle silencers (mufflers out here) and all those ash trays and plastic flower miniature vases with rubber suckers.

Later I recall buying a dry fully recharged car battery that came with six plastic bottles of concentrated suphuric acid... worked great but imagine selling that now!

:D

Geoff and Sally

Thanks Geoff. That's certainly a different Halfords from the one I recall from my younger days. They didn't really have much (any?) competition.

... pattern parts like Norton motorcycle silencers

I wasn't that lucky with my Velocette. Halfords didn't even sell the Miller electrics. Every winter I'd hit black ice on the windy twisty mountain road I took to work, and I'd inevitably end up sliding on my backside, following the bike down the road. A small bike shop in another town kept the Miller headlights in stock just for me  :-[

.... a dry fully recharged car battery that came with six plastic bottles of concentrated suphuric acid...

That's still how I buy batteries for jet skis and dinghies (tenders). Amazing, given all the environmental restrictions in California.

Hi Tom

I always wanted a Velocette but, as a young apprentice, could not stretch to that kind of budget. I had scores of BSA Bantams from D3 to D10 that I did up (horrible machines!), a Triumph Tiger Cub and and BSA C15.
I still have a UK motorcycle licence but my wife won't let me buy a motorcycle as she sees the paraplegic results in the hospital she works at. I never had a really serious fall off a motorbike... never broken a bone in my body... touch wood.

Best regards

Geoff and Sally

Hi

Next time I am in the UK I will try to find, albeit I still lean towards the universal lighter socket path.

I was born in Watford and used to take the (steam) train to St Albans. I visited the cathedral there a couple of years ago.. brings back memories!

:)

Geoff and Sally

Geoff_T said:
Hi

Next time I am in the UK I will try to find, albeit I still lean towards the universal lighter socket path.

I was born in Watford and used to take the (steam) train to St Albans. I visited the cathedral there a couple of years ago.. brings back memories!

Geoff and Sally

Ah the old Abbey Flyer, now replaced by an electric. Still got the conductor on it. All the kids, still play dodge the conductor and save the money for sweets (candy), if they get away with it.  ;D  Now that's what being a kid is all about.  ;)

Hi

That's odd... I left Watford for the Cambridge area around 1971 and the steam engines (2-6-4 tank engines) were replaced by diesel multiple units with manual transmission... I recall the drivers changing up and down... I believe they were made by AEC like the busses.

I would not think the line was worth electrifying with minimal passengers and the gas works no more...

Best regards

Geoff and Sally

[quote author=Geoff_T]I always wanted a Velocette but, as a young apprentice, could not stretch to that kind of budget.[/quote]

Geoff, I have fond memories of my Bantam. Had a couple of BSAs and a Triumph (650cc twin) after that. The latter was used exclusively on forestry roads.

I bought the Velo (used) with help from my old man. It (the Velo) was a replacement for ....

I never had a really serious fall off a motorbike... never broken a bone in my body...

On my way to work on the 350cc BSA I swerved to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me. Found myself on unpaved land, in a speed wobble, unable to control the bike, and headed for the middle of a pedestrian's back. Somehow I managed to get some control of the bike in time, but the last I recall is seeing the end of the handlebars clip the pedestrian. I blanked out when the bike hit a lampost, and I was shot off like canonball. Woke up in hospital, but the bike didn't survive.

That evening one of the City & Guilds exams was scheduled. The first people through the door of the hospital at visiting time were the Principal of the college and the Training Manager from the company. They told my other visitors to go away, handed me the exam paper, and started the clock.

This is like a trip down memory lane.

The mating connector is available in the U.S. as the 12 volt battery charge cable for many small generators, including the (discontinued) Coleman Powermate, and older Honda generators.

albeit I still lean towards the universal lighter socket

Personally, I'd prefer what's in there now.  The lighter socket was (surprise!) never intended to be a universal power source.  It does a fine job of heating up a cigarette lighter, but not so good as a universal outlet.

For one, there's no standard size for the lighter socket.  Inserting the plug is a hit and miss affair, the cylinder has to be snug enough to hold the center pin against the end of the socket but not too small for the plastic cylinder to fit.  Then there's the problem with some sockets having dead spots around the cylinder, forcing you to wiggle and fidget the plug to make contact.

Tom said:
Geoff, I have fond memories of my Bantam. Had a couple of BSAs and a Triumph (650cc twin) after that. The latter was used exclusively on forestry roads.

I bought the Velo (used) with help from my old man. It (the Velo) was a replacement for ....

On my way to work on the 350cc BSA I swerved to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me. Found myself on unpaved land, in a speed wobble, unable to control the bike, and headed for the middle of a pedestrian's back. Somehow I managed to get some control of the bike in time, but the last I recall is seeing the end of the handlebars clip the pedestrian. I blanked out when the bike hit a lampost, and I was shot off like canonball. Woke up in hospital, but the bike didn't survive.

That evening one of the City & Guilds exams was scheduled. The first people through the door of the hospital at visiting time were the Principal of the college and the Training Manager from the company. They told my other visitors to go away, handed me the exam paper, and started the clock.

This is like a trip down memory lane.

Hi

It seems we had similar early lives. The Bantam (a DKW war reparation) was basically OK but the clutch could be bothersome to adjust and the splines on the kickstart were inadequate. My D10 had an ignition and light switch on the headlight (no key required) and I'd always come back to a flat battery as some comedian would operate both switches in my absence. Fortunately you could bump start it on EMG setting.

I studied City and Guilds... got the ET5 Full Technological certificate. Worked 14+ years in a company making recording consoles then, much later, moved to the USA. In the UK I had a Commer Autosleeper and a Commer Highwayman. Now in the UK, I have the Camelot (why I keep calling it Calypso I know not) and the Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher out here in the USA.

Geoff and Sally

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom