Stove Fan Speed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Eric, I understand the concern that an auto switch won't do the job, but please leave the used parts comments at the door.  I don't know when you last looked for a part, but they have computer search lists with nation wide connections, they guarantee their parts, and all you need to do is go up to their counter to get the part.  Gone are the days where you need to climb through wrecks to extract the part yourself.  I have used re-cycled parts for over about 50 years with excellent satisfaction, in fact they are much better than the re-built junk sold by EOM's today.

ed

Your right. Sorry about the dirty junk yard comment.  I did not know what to get when I first started this trek. I seen on another forum about using some resistors to reduce the speed. But I could not find them. So I asked an Electronics guy.  That was a safe bet. I did not know what I would get at a Yard...  I am all for recycling.    :)

eric

Not being into the finer points raised in this string, I ask, is there any reason why you couldn't go to a junk yard and get a fan switch that is designed to handle variable speeds.  It wouldn't be infinite range, but the 4 or 5 speed settings should suffice.

You'll probably wind up with 4 or 5 "almost as fast" speeds.  The resistors in an automobile blower are considerably lower resistance, because the heater fans blow a greater quantity of air and thus draw more current, needing less series resistance to slow them down.

And you'd need two pieces - the switch itself and the resistor elements, which are not part of the switch but are mounted inside the fan plenum so the air from the blower can cool them.

Please say it isn't so....I have done some of my best work scouring thru junk yards...came across a school bus FULL of old Hemi's one time. We have a pull-and-pay nearby.....love it. It reminds me of grazing thru the grocery store in search of dinner.

Lou is correct.  Most automotive applications for a blower switch does not include the resister block (mounted in the heater plenum).  The resister block is the deciding factor to what the fan speed is according to fan switch position.

I've found the best motor speed controller is a pulse width "chopper" a little circuit board that has a pot attached, and varies the voltage to the motor.  All kinds of 12 volt ones on E-bay - cost about $12 after shipping.  No heat, and infinite speed control.  I now have them on the stove vent, and bathroom vent motors.

The rheostats can get hot, and still draw full amperage, the slower the motor, the higher the heat.  PW circuits do not.

johncmr

Very nice. Many different ideas to share.
It is really too bad, we as consumers can't design the perfect RV! I have several issues with our RV that do not make sense. Such as our hot water tank, at the front of the trailer, when all the usage is at the back of the trailer. We use up a lot of cold water, before it gets hot at the tap.  What moron designed that? I am the moron that bought the trailer.
;D

If a million RVers designed the perfect RV, you would have a million designs.

On the other hand if the politicians designed it you wouldn't have any designs .....but they would cost 2 bil feasibility study first ??? 

Too bad my RV company went out if business , the hot water tank is below the bathroom.  But I need a few parts ie latches etc which I hope to find at Quartzite this winter

Marc...I'm sorry...that just slipped out. I did have a phosphorus bronze hammer from submarine tool kit once. Bet that wasn't cheap either. sorry again..drifting

Just thought I'd add this.  I just replaced my switch with this part from Amazon.  Cost 7.99:

RioRand RR-PWM-15V Low Voltage Dc 1.8v 3v 5v 6v 12v 2a Motor Speed Controller PWM

Works like a charm.

There's some fiddling with the wiring required.  There's 2 wires from the original switch to the fan.  The part above has 4 connectors: + and - from the battery and + and - to the fan.  In my trailer I had to split off the fan (-) from the battery (-) which just grounded to the range hood.  Not hard to do though.

Our dog loves the new, improved quiet fan.

The documentation suggests a 2A fuse to be installed in line to protect the speed controller.  If it blows (the fan is 3.2 amps), I'll deal with that at that time.  Or I'll get around to it one day.  It seems to run the fan quite nicely even at full speed, which I'll probably never run it at again.

Snowbird1957 said:
Just thought I'd add this.  I just replaced my switch with this part from Amazon.  Cost 7.99:

RioRand RR-PWM-15V Low Voltage Dc 1.8v 3v 5v 6v 12v 2a Motor Speed Controller PWM

Works like a charm.

Thanks, Snowbird.  I followed your description and just ordered one for myself.  I'll let you know how it works for me.

If anyone else is interested, here's a direct link to the item:

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-RR-PWM-15V-Voltage-Motor-Controller/dp/B00N30UK2M

Back
Top Bottom