2002 Ford Sporttrac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveandMari

Hi all, I'm getting ready to purchase a pop-up campter (Palomion Banshee B-3, to be exact) and the truck comes with a 4pin and obviously with the weight I'll need a 7 pin connection.

My question is, is my truck wired up to accept a 7pin? The dealership mentioned that some extra wiring is needed for the 7 to work correctly. Is this correct?

Only reason I'm asking is what they wanted to charge me to install my hitch (240 bucks) and I already have the hitch. Just trying to stay cautious.

Thanks

The 7 pin wiring is special in that it is different than the 4 pin.  The 3 additional pins do:
- electric brakes
- auxiliary power (charge trailer battery while driving)
- backup light (optional, most are not connected)

The auxiliary power is fairly easy, it's a wire from the battery to that pin on the connector with a fuse somewhere inline.

The electric brakes is a bit more tricky because it requires wiring a brake controller.  That's where it gets special.

If you are good with wiring, you should be able to follow the instructions from the brake controller manual to do it yourself.  If you are not, than you are at the mercy of the Ford or Palomino dealership to have it done.

If the price is the same, I'd get Ford to do the wiring.  They probably have wiring harnesses they can just connect in place.

Just a couple of small questions:  The Banshee B3 is almost 4000#, that's a big pop-up.

What size truck are you using? Your hitch should be at least a 5000# hitch, is that what you have? Do you have a brake controller already in the truck?

Camping dreams sometimes get expensive....best to find out.

carson said:
Just a couple of small questions:  The Banshee B3 is almost 4000#, that's a big pop-up.

What size truck are you using? Your hitch should be at least a 5000# hitch, is that what you have? Do you have a brake controller already in the truck?

Camping dreams sometimes get expensive....best to find out.

I'm using a RESSE class iii/iv hitch and using the above mention sporttrac which has a 5500lb tow limit

Back
Top Bottom