Excessive Tire Wear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13pointer

I have a 2005 26ft TT and all four tires, which are original, are wearing excessively on the outside only.  Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?  I've had answers from axle alignment to the age of tires.

First off I hope you are asking this question because you are getting new tires and don't want to have the same wear on the new ones since your tires are on the old side for my comfort. Are they wearing on the outside of the trailer or on the outside of the tires. If both sides of the tire are worn with tread left in the middle that is due to overloaded/underinflated. If just the right side of the passenger side tires and the left side of the drivers side tires are worn then yes the axles have a little too much bend/preload in them and would need a professional alignment to bend the center of the axles down a little bit to get the tires off their outside edge. I haven't a clue where to get that done.

Yes, I am getting new tires and don't want to wear them out too quickly.  The right side of the passenger side tires and the left side of the drivers side tires are worn.  Maybe the axles have had a problem all along and I didn't notice it until the tread was worn.  Thanks for the info and I'll see if I can find someone to fix my problem.  Like you though, I do't have a clue where to start looking.  If anyone has any idea where to go, please let me know.

Agree - the axles are bent upward in the center. Question is, how did they get that way ?  I don't know what could  cause that.

A truck suspension shop will have the capability to bend an axle .

Axles should have a natural crown that should level with load maybe you don't have enough load (rare) maybe the axles have too much crown (more comon).

Wayne

13pointer said:

I have a 2005 26ft TT and all four tires, which are original, are wearing excessively on the outside only.  Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?  I've had answers from axle alignment to the age of tires.

Dang, that is a rather troubling situation. I certainly wouldn't want to be prematurely wearing 4 new tires, but at the same time I wouldn't let just anyone attempt to bend my axles!  :eek: I'd have to be convinced they knew what the heck they were doing.

Good luck with it.  ;)

It shouldn't be too difficult to determine the "crown" or "arch" in the axel from spring perch to perch ( easy to do with a stringline along the underside). I would then be tempted to remove about half of that arch.>>>Dan  ( another method is to block up the axel at the spring perch point on a level floor,, remove the wheels and check the axel spindles with a torpedo level.)

You got 6 years out of tires. I would put new ones on and check them often.  I spent around $200.00 for an alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom