Yellowstone to Moab route.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venturous

Planning a trip next summer from east TN. So far, I have got us to Yellowstone. After Yellowstone, my next base will be Moab. Looks like a driving straight from Yellowstone to Moab is more miles than I care to do in one day.

So, looking for route suggestions out of Yellowstone that would get us to Moab. We want to traverse Grand Teton with a few hours to stop there. Also, where would be good place to overnight on the trip down to Moab? I would like to avoid any insane grades. I will be pulling a 32' 5er with a CK3500 which is close to it's max.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hi, I did it the other way, so I left Moab and I Drove to Idaho Falls, Idaho by taking Rt. 6 to 15, than cut over to go to Grand Teton.  If I could suggest, I would tell you to spend more than a few hours in Grand Teton( it is just breath taking). And if you do stay in Grand Teton park(dry camping) great campground for a night or two. Jackson Hole is also something you don't want to miss, great town could spend a day easy by see Jackson and Teton Village.  Just something to think about!

Take US189/191 (stay on 189 when 191 splits) South to US89 south. At Geneva take UT61 south which becomes WY89  to Evanston WY (crosses into Utah for a while as 16). Take I-80west to US40/US189 south stay on 189 when 40 splits - to I-15 south at Provo.

Note off 40 near Heber is Jordanelle Sate Park. A good place to break the trip.

Exit I-15 at Spanish Fork on US 6 south ti US 191 south to Moab (you well get I-70 east for a little with 191).

I would also plan to stop for at least a day in Grand Tetons. Either Colter Bay (FHU RV park or dry camp) or Gross Ventre Campground (DRY)

Note you start on 191 and end on 191. You could take 191 all the way, but its not the best route IMHO.

I haven't run all of this route, but I will be running that portion in October (US89/WY 89). I post if there are problems.

Just my 2 cetst but there are nicer places to stay off Hwy 40 near Heber. The Jordenelle is relatively new and pretty barren. The trees just haven't had enough years to fill in yet. Also, The lake is beautiful but attracts a lot of boaters who aren't always good campmates.
We love staying at the Wasatch Mountain State park in either of the RV parks. lots of trees, good hookups and nice hosts who will help you out. It's not far off the path but feels like it. Easy access and some pull thrus

http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=492

Another good place that is just at the base of the Jordenelle Dam is River's Edge. The trees here aren't great either but it's nicely hosted and kinda private

http://www.riversedgeatdeerpark.com/

We stayed in a state park in Vernal Utah that you might like.  It's nice but not really special.  Price is very good, they have electricity and they make reservations.  I would stay there again. It looks like it could be on your way.

Back
Top Bottom