Lifting a Thor/Jazz 2980

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

While I introduced myself in the newcomer area many weeks ago, this is my first post since divesting of a truck camper.  Now we're on the verge of getting a used 5th wheel ... hey, guess what, there's more room inside!  We're pretty excited, as comfort level is about to rise several fold.

I'm sure I need to lift the candidate 2006 Jazz 2980 BH since my 2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 is about 3-4" higher than stock, due to larger tires and KORE suspension.  My measurements indicate I could probably be safe for a freeway delivery, but clearance will be insufficient for any terrain irregularities, like we hope to work our way into eventually.  So I was thinking "axle flip." automatically.    My neighbor did this on a virtually identical 2004 Jazz, just 7" shorter, model 2780.  The axles rode on the top side of the leaf spring pack.  He welded a new perch on top of the axles and placed them below the leafs, and voila, compatible with his lifted F-350.  Despite the higher CG, it rides better than stock with the addition of a shock kit.  Imagine my surprise to find that the axles are already below the leaf springs on the 2980.  No perch change evident, and looks like factory height overall.  I'm guessing the springs or hangars or both are different between the 2780 and 2980, although their GVWR is only 200 lbs. apart.  Any suggestions on how to achieve some extra height, 2" minimum, 4" max?

Aside form that, any thoughts, good or bad, toward this model?  We love the floor plan (3 kids = 3 bunks in the rear bedroom), but at 33' overall it's bigger than our target length.  Call it over-correction from the truck camper era!  While not a "luxury"model, it's pretty plush and offers amenities we have yearned for.  Based on seeing a few other Thor/Jazz rigs that are 7-10 years old, it appears that the quality is pretty decent.  Asking price is about 75% of the NADA low retail - does that seem pretty decent in today's market?  I'd appreciate any insight. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom