12V source for lights in truck cap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

I recently bought an aluminum truck cap for my GMC. I've had them on other trucks in the past and one of them had a little light installed which I really liked - very helpful at night. So, I had one put in this cap by the dealer. However, I found out that it's wired to the parking light circuit so it only receives power when the parking lights are on. Put that in the dictionary under "moronic". I don't want to have to turn on the parking lights every time I rummage around the cap at night for firewood, tools, etc.

Any suggestions on where to find an "always on" 12V source? I know it can be done since my other cap's light would come on without the parking lights. I can run a wire all the way to the fusebox if I have to but I'm wondering if there are other options I'm missing. I have not crawled underneath yet to see what wiring harnesses might be there.

What I'd really like to do is install 2 or 3 lights (probably LED) - one at the back (where it is now) and one towrads the front or one on each side to really light things up.

What do you think?

If your truck is equiped with the trailering package, 12VDC is routed to the 7-pin connector at your bumper.
See this as an example of where the 12VDC is. Then you will have to find the best place in the harness to wire it in.
Only other choice is to wire from fuse panel under the hood or directly from the battery as some after market places do.
Be sure to fuse it properly and don't leave the light on when you leave it :) .

bobsharon said:
Be sure to fuse it properly
Which, if you are running directly from the battery, means fusing it at the battery so chafed wires will pop the fuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom