Brakes for dingy while towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lenbeal

We are headed to Alaska from Tennessee in 2012. I am told or just rumer that I must have towing brakes on my 2000 Jeep cherokee when towing behind my Moterhome when I cross into Canada. I don't have them now and not sure if the expense is necessary. any help appreciated. I have a Gulf Stream Cresendo with a 330 Cat and love it. 58K miles with no problems..

Len

Forget about whether it is required in Canada or not,tho I do believe it is. Your toad weighs over 4,000 #s. It's a safety issue. Your coach cannot safely stop towing that car without supplemental braking. Get the brakes. My brake line to my toad, which only weighs 3,250 #s, popped loose and I ran a yellow to red light because I couldn't stop in time.

And welcome to the forum and hope your problems remain -0-.

Here is a system that many of us on the board use. Most effective, inexpensive tow brake on the market.  http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html

Sarge I thought I read that surge brakes were not acceptable in BC or Alberta. It's been a few years so I could be wrong.

Len we all encourage the use a a toad brake for the reasons Bernie mentioned.

Canada requires a break away system that will apply the toad brakes if the vehicle breaks free from the motorhome.  The stock ReadyBrake does not do this - the toad brakes will release as soon as the activating cable breaks.

But Night Shift sells a break away kit for $100 that makes the ReadyBrake Canadian legal.  It's a one way cleat that locks the activating cable in place, keeping the toad brakes applied if the car breaks free.

Here is a link to an article in our library:  http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Itemid=41
You will note that like the US each Province establishes its own laws, so may vary significantly.

Ed

Thanks for all the good info... I guess I will spend some money. 8 years and we have travled 116,000 miles in our 2 motorhomes.. Love it....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom