Thor 5th Wheel - Production Change In Axle Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

I have a thread asking about lifting a Thor Jazz 5th wheel with 33 views/zero replies.  I'd like to add some facts in this thread.  This is all about making sure I can tow a new-to-me 5th wheel home with my lifted Dodge 3500 4x4, and ultimately adjust the ride height of the fiver for level towing and sufficient bed rail clearance.  With a 500+ mile RT to pick it up, I don't want to roll the dice, nor find out that there is no practical way to dial the trailer in.

The Thor Jazz "BH" models were made in 2780 and 2980 models - the smaller starting in 2002 and the larger in 2005 (as far as I can tell).  I have been looking at 2003 through 2006 versions of each.  While their length spec varies a bit (earlier 2780s about 2' less than the 2980, later 7" less according to published specs).  One measurement seemed to remain constant over the years: 11' 3" of overall height on either model.  Tire size does not vary.  There is no dimensional difference in floor to roof height, including the front overhang/pinbox area.  Finally, gross weight was generally 200lbs. more for the 2980 (10,800 vs. 11,000), leading me to think that there would not be substantial suspension differences between the two. 

I have looked at 2780s in the 2003/2004/2005 model year.  Each had the axles mounted above the leaf springs, allowing for a relatively simple lift by placing the axles below the springs.  My neighbor did so on his 2004 2780 to be compatible with a lifted F-350.  I have only looked at one 2980, a 2006, which I would like to purchase.  Its axles are mounted below the leaf springs, which the owner states is "stock," and it appears to be at factory height.  Measurements confirm that the lifted 2780 is about 4-5" higher than the unaltered 2980.  It seems they would be the same height if the axle was reverted to factory location on the 2780, but then one rig would have over-spring and the other under-spring axle mounting. What puzzles me is that the spring mounts/hangars look the same and I cannot really perceive a difference in spring arch.

Does anybody know how/why Thor changed the axles to below leaf spring mounting (possibly beginning in 2006), and how the overall height of the Jazz 5th wheels would have remained at 11'3"?  Since the 2980 I like already has the axles under-spring, what's the best option for a lift?  2" would probably be enough, and 4" would be the max.  But I'm not sure until I see the unit seated on my truck.  Maybe there is an aspect of the spring dimension or hangar arrangement that is quite different, and I could swap parts from an earlier Jazz to get a lift?  Or have a spring shop add some arch?

Thanks so much for any thoughts you could share.

Back
Top Bottom