199 thor residency, Need to clean roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orionn1

Hello, New to the forum. I am wondering what you guys think is the best product for cleaning the roof?

What sort of roof - EPDM rubber? And what's shape is it in now? Just plain old dirt, or is there tre sap or other nasty stuff stuck to it? Any green or black mold in the pores of the material, crevices, etc.?

Basically you just want a strong household detergent and some amount of bleach, depending on the mold (if any). Simple Green works well, as does Purple Power, Greased Lightning and similar detergent cleaners. Add bleach to the wash water at the rate of anywhere from 0.25-1.0 cups per gallon, depending on how much mold there is. Use a medium bristle scrub brush, preferably with a long handle (easier on the back).

Yes I believe it is rubber, has dirt and some black mold no tree sap. What do yo like for sealing by the way. I used something two years ago and I don't like how it really flattened out. Doesn't seem to really fill in areas however I haven't noticed any signs of leaks.
regards
robert

There are two types of roof caulks - self leveling or not. Self-leveling caulks are used on horizontal surfaces (roofs) where generally you want it to spread out to cover a seam. The regular, non-leveling type is used where you want a bead or need to run up the side of a vertical surface. Both have their place. The tube will say "self-leveling" if it is.

If you have back mold you are going to need lots of bleach in the water and strong detergent too. May take multiple cleanings with a fairly stiff brush to work the black dots out of the pores of a EPDM roof. And they probably won't all come out even then. If you want it bright white, you will have to re-coat the roof with an EPDM coating such as Liquid Roof or Kool Seal RV.

You are going to get a lot of chalky residue running down the sides as you wash & rinse. Be sure to wash down the sides when you finish the roof, cause that crud will dry on the sides and can make another nasty cleaning chore if you don't get it off.

Back
Top Bottom