Monaco Vesta 32PBS vs. Thor Serrano 31X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsar72

I am looking for help from anyone who knows anything about these two motor coaches. (Monaco Vesta 32PBS $149K vs. Thor Serrano 31X $100K)

The criteria on how it will be used is as follows:
    The wife and I will be using it for 2-3 years as a full time home as we have our mid-life adventure across the USA.
    We will be towing one of the following:  Mini Cooper, Smart Car, or a Jeep Wrangler. (All four wheels towed flat)
    The only other required occupants will be (2) dogs.
    We hope to visit the mountains of Colorado and as far north as Alaska. 

If anyone has a suggestion for a gas alternative, please let us know as well. 

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Tsar72

Don't know a thing about the coaches, but I'd suggest you look at similar coaches a few years old. Buying up the first time is often a recipe for buying again if you are just starting (my inference) in the RV game. We do find a smaller coach is good for full timing, however most others seem to tend toward much larger Class A's (Class A is definitely superior in my opinion).
We bought very small and very old first (but inexpensive) and replaced that coach within a year after it turned out we enjoyed the life. We learned a lot about what we really wanted in the year.
JM2C; either way enjoy life (its not a rehearsal) and RV'ing.
Ernie

RVs always seem to shrink after you live in them for 3 months. The cute little bathroom becomes a major aggravation, as does limited counter space in the galley and stepping over the dogs as they sprawl in the aisle. Things like that generally lead people to trade up fairly quickly. The best move is to buy a inexpensive used one and get some experience, then but the one you really want.

I looked at these models, too; the Serrano in person; the Monaco just online.

I have to tell you, the shower in ALL of the Serranos is absolutely microscopic, with a big step up to get inside. You'll also probably want to upgrade the mattress in there, or at least get a mattress topper. I'm not that picky, but when I lied down on it, you could really tell it was on the cheap side. The only other thing I didn't like about that model Serrano is that you pretty much need to keep the door open to bend over and use the bathroom sink. Exterior storage looks do-able (but it has the least amount of all the current Serrano models); Interior storage for full time might be challenging. However, that model, closed up for travel, is very nice and roomy and you can easily get into the bathroom.

Also, did you know about the Holiday Rambler Trip? (similar as the Vesta and same parent company; but just lower priced since it has some lower priced features like the awning, side mirrors, etc.). Haven't been in a Vesta/Trip, but from the pictures, it looks nice. The "step up" to get to the back of the coach (bathroom and bedroom) means, you'll have lower ceiling heights back there. Just something to be aware of if you're tall. No outside TV option in the Vesta/Trip, in case that's important to you. Also less "head turning" in that particular  Serrano model than the Vesta/Trip to watch the inside TV (something that I hear a lot of motorhome owners complain about - lots of stiff necks watching TV!). I think the Vesta has more exterior storage as well than the Serrano model you're looking at, but you'll need to double check that.

One other thing - not sure either brand is getting the boasted-about gas mileage. Serrano owners in real world driving are reporting and average of approx 10 mpg; not too many other posts on the Vesta, but I'm not sure it's in the teens consistently as reported. You'll also want to test drive/ride in both since the chassis are different (suspecting the Vesta/Trip may have the cushier ride since the Serrano is on a leaf spring chassis). Also, compare size of both gas tanks as they are on the small side (for diesels) as well.

Again, this is just some of my observations and depending on your particular needs, you might have different opinions. Just thought I'd chime in since I have been looking at these in my travels.

Best of luck!

If you can buy both of these coaches for the same price, its no contest. The Vesta has air brakes an air ride suspension and air leveling. I don't think that these items are available on other coaches of this size. Good luck Smokeater75.

We haven't looked at the Serrano "live" but we did look at the Vesta and the Tiffin Breeze both live and in person at the Redmon rally in August. The thing I don't like about the small diesels is the small, bowl-shape kitchen sink, the 2-burner stove, and the small cupboards in the bedroom. And in the case of the Breeze, the salesman said that you had one choice, you could buy the coach just as is, no changes, no options (except, I think they had 2 colors). We really like the idea of a 32-foot DP, we just don't like the ones that are available right now.

I suggest that you go look at the models live, sit in them, stick your head in the cupboards. Imagine all your "stuff" in the coach. You may find one you like, or you may not.

Wendy
home in Cortez

Wendy has made some very good points about the livibility issues.  Some of the "modern" coaches aren't as practical as the older ones, such as the too-small round sinks.  We were lucky to be able to purchase one in which we made lots of factory changes and a larger double sink was one of those changes, as was a three-burner propane range with oven.  Some people don't cook much in their motorhomes, but I do and a decent galley was at the top of our list.  Think of the utensils you'll need for both cooking and eating and where you'll store them all.  Also think about what you'll need to cook in.  For example, I use Corningware in the convection-microwave and standard metal pans on the cooktop.  Do you bake cookies or biscuits?  If so, what baking pan will you use and how?  Will it fit in the cupboards?  If you plan on going to restaurants most of the time, then maybe you can get by with a two-burner range and a convection-microwave, but that seems to me to be totally inadequate for fulltiming.  Also, those fancy above-the-counter bathroom sinks I've noticed in some RVs seem really stupid in an RV where space is at such a premium and where every inch has to be used intelligently.  I don't know if these two RVs you're inquiring about have such sinks, but if they do I'd keep looking and find one that has a nice flat USABLE counter.

ArdraF

Gary RV Roamer said:
??  Neither the Serrano nor the Vesta is a "pusher" - they are front engine.

Ok, we like the idea of a small diesel, especially driving in the mountains.

Wendy

I'm in the market for a smaller diesel class A. I looked at and drove the Breeze and the 31 Serrano. I actually liked the Serrano better. There was way too much road feel in the Breeze steering and the front overhang won't work for my needs. I couldn't get it into my garage. I hope to get to drive a Vesta this weekend. I wish we had more choices in compact 30-34' diesels.

Have you looked at the Thor Avanti-Fred RV.
http://www.avantirv.com/overview.php?

I
have the same issue  with trip or breeze or newmar ventana. this is my first time on any forum.  maybe the knight also mainly interested in engine power and torque  for the weight if these rvs

Davidh1960: May I suggest that you start your own new topic (message thread) and ask your specific questions? That way you will get the answers you want, while not confusing the answers that tsar72 is looking for.

Asking your own question in someone else's conversation is sort of like interrupting and changing the topic.

Back
Top Bottom