4" suspension lift on F-250 and pulling a 5th wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duxxx

We just bought at new Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel with a height 50.5" at hitch and 63" where it goes over the bed.? We have an F-250 4x4 and want to put a 4" suspension lift and 325 tires on it which would give it an unloaded rail height of about 58" and floor of bed height of about 40".? I realize that the measurements on the truck are going to decrease with the weight of the 5th wheel and the axles are already flipped on the trailer any suggestions on other modifications for the 5th wheel to get us where we need to be for the trailer to be level?? Bigger tires on the trailer?

Thanks,
Josh
League City, TX

You could use larger tires and maybe even larger wheels on the trailer, if there is room in the wheel wells. Howver, you are also increasing the height of the trailer even more than you did flipping the axles. This raises the center of gravity and lessens stability. I hope you never need to be concerned about rolling the trailer, but who knows when you might have to make an emergency swerve? We had one tip over on us many years ago and its a bit of excitement I can well do without.

I'm not sure that level is all that crucial anyway (within reason, of course).  Just be careful of the clearance between the fifth wheel overhang and the sides of the pick-up box. Fivers can rock from side to side and could possibly hit under certain conditions.  Some trailers rock more easily than others, depending on their suspension and how well it handles lateral forces. Air bags on the trailer suspension might reduce the rocking of its a problem. Shocks might help too, if your trailer is not already equipped with them (many are not).

Thank you so much. The reason I was worried about it being level is I do not want to blow my back tires out b/c I am putting too much or most of the weight on them. I measured the truck bed@ 58", the camper bed is @ 63". In your opinion, do you think 5" is sufficient? Thanks again for all your help.

Look into Kelderman suspension:

http://www.keldermanairride.com/category.php?id=1

I put the two bag system on the rear of our Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel. We were able to adjust both the ride and parked height of the bed to keep our TETON 5th wheel level at all times. It also greatly improved the ride of the truck when not towing.

Chet18013

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom