wifeproofing your rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycanuck

as mentioned before we have a 1988 pace arrow about ready to go on first trip to wash. DC end of oct. Problem is my wife is famous for walking into things (tables,walls corners etc) she says they keep jumping in front of her,and she keeps breaking her toes.
After 45 plus years i don't want to trade her in.
Short of triple seat belting her all the time night and day any sugestions.
Carl (crazycanuck) ottawa can.

Wrap her in a foam blanket? Buy her steel-toes shoes (these are common for workers)? Seriously, life in an RV is going to be troublesome if your wife is accident prone. Make sure your medical insurance is paid up!

More subtle and friendly approach to this problem. Do what I do.

I purchased a few solar lights that ride on the dashboard (to charge by day) that I set on the floor under the table, near the throne, between the front seats that cast light down to the floor making it easy to navigate without turning on lights should a midnight nature call take place. I made bases out of whatever I found available. Old short fat vases, I found a few plastic stands that work OK, and my favorite is a square candle holder with a shining sun on each side.
Oh, don't use sand in the base unless you have a decent vacuum should one get tipped. We add something to one of them each trip. A neat pebble, a shell, whatever is small and fits into the vases.

catchy subject line?

maybe those clear plastic tubes of lights would be helpful in critical areas, corners, table legs, door jams, etc.  Some of them will even flash.

taoshum said:
catchy subject line?

maybe those clear plastic tubes of lights would be helpful in critical areas, corners, table legs, door jams, etc.  Some of them will even flash.

Don't bet on it. We have factory mounted ones the complete length of our coach that you only have to flip a switch, and DW still manages to run into something even with them lit.

Accept the fact that there are somethings that can't be fixed ;D
This sounds like an excellent opportunity to show sympathy and caring toward wifey :'(

I too was rather "accident prone" when we first purchased our MH.  I ran into every door or cabinet that was left open...and trying to walk to the back while moving proved to give me some really "nice" bruises on my hips!!  But, on a good note, I've gotten used to it and really don't run into things much anymore.  I'm wondering if at home she seems safe, because if that's the case then time will heal.....

Good Luck,
Mikie

The best way to wifeproof your RV is to have a personality like I do. I haven't seen a wife in my RV yet.

Steel toed shoes and a miner's head lamp come to mind.  Someone gave me a miner's headlamp.  At first I thought I would never use it but it is SO handy for so many reasons, that I use it often. 

Also a trip to the eye doctor!  Maybe glasses with 20/20 vision would help a lot.  I had a co-worker that ran into everything and emptied out the First Aid kit weekly.  She always looked like she had just stepped out of the fight ring.  Once we dragged her kicking and screaming to the eye doctor, she finally succumbed to proper eye glasses and her accidents became far fewer. 

Keeping everything put away helps. If your floor is full of tools and shopping, then that's just more to trip over. 

While it's not a miner's headlamp. I do have a few "headlights" scattered about (Smaller, cheaper, and battery operated by coin cells) which I have been known to use in church of all places on Easter Sunrise Service when I need to read the music and the place is dark still.

Very handy items.. Use 'em bicycling after dark too.  Even if I have a light on the bike itself.

One of our friends says I need a Michelin Man suit because I've had two broken bones that were RV related.  Short of that, foam taped on sharp edges might help until Marie gets used to where things stick out.  We have one piece of metal that protrudes in a door frame  of our current RV and it "gets" me right in the middle of my forearm at least once every trip.  If I walk around while we're on the road, I use my hands to balance as I move around.  That's good to do anyway in case there's a sudden maneuver - the person walking has their hands closer to a grab point.  When stopped, use hands just as a guide (e.g. fingertips brushing walls) which helps a person get used to where edges are located.  Every time we've gotten a new RV I've gone through a period of more-than-usual bruising which eases with time - so there is hope for Marie!  Glasses might help if Marie doesn't wear them, but I've worn glasses since age 5 and still tend to hit door frames because I misjudge where they are so that might not work.  Wearing shoes or slippers helps protect toes.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom