My big trip for the year - MN to CA and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V2Neal

Well, just got back from my family vacation for the summer. It went as smooth as anyone could hope for, and I am thankfull for that. it was my girlfriend and I, three boys (16,15,and 12) and one girl (13) in my 1998 Pace Arrow 36B, P30.
Prior to the trip I started checking everything over, and discovered the water pump was leaking from the front shaft. This made me slightly upset because I had replaced it last year. Oh well, not that bad of a job and it was under warranty for the part. The next thing I discovered was that my right front airbag (inside the spring) was leaking. This was the day we were supposed to leave. ACK! Lucky for me Camping World had new ones on hand, but they are a 2 hour round trip from my house. Off I go! Managed to change both front bags in 2 hours. The RV rides much better now. :D

We left home (Apple Valley, MN) at 8PM on Aug 23rd and began the trip. Feels good to be on the road. I drove until Lincoln,NE  then let my girlfriend drive. We switched again in Colorado and I drove until Mesquite, NV. Decided we were both too tired to be safe and pulled into a WalMart for some solid sleep. Got manager approval and we were good til morning. Woke up and completed the drive to our destination of Newport Beach, CA.
I had booked us at Newport Dunes which looked nice on the internet. All in all it was a decent place to stay, but a little too 'city' for my liking. I figured a person could park their RV downtown in any major US city and get the same atmosphere. LOL It was a good location though with proximity to my mom and things we wanted to visit.
We departed Newport Beach on Aug 22 and drove to Trailer Villiage at the Grand Canyon. Missed the sunset, but got up early the next morning and caught the sunrise. So glad we did. Woke the kids up and toured around the south rim. After seeing everything we wanted, we started the drive to Pagosa Springs, CO.
On the drive to Pagosa we stopped at the Four Corners for some pictures and to stretch.
Arrived in Pagosa Springs and got a spot at Healing Waters. Basic site with full hook ups, but since we were just overnight it was perfect. Healing Waters has their own hot spring pool, hot tub and bath, which were very welcome after the days drive. The next morning we went across the street to The Springs Resort. They have at least a dozen hot tubs that vary in temperature from 94*-114*. And the San Juan river runs by at 60* so you can cool off.
We left Pagosa and headed towards the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Checked out the Dunes, then continued the drive to Canon City, CO. I had booked a spot at the Canon City KOA as I had stayed there before and it is close to Royal Gorge. Spent the night and went to Royal Gorge the next morning.
Took in all the things to do at Royal Gorge including the SkyCoaster. Better than any coffee I assure you.
Departed Royal Gorge and headed to Dodge City, KS. We passed through here two years ago but didn't have time to stop. I made it a point to check it out on this trip. All in all a neat part of old west history. Worth the stop.
From Dodge City we headed back home and made it back without a hitch.
The only issues we had while on the road were a failed latch on the door to my battery compartment, and an unfurling awning while driving across Kansas. Both easily fixed roadside.
Now I'm cleaning it up and doing post-trip maintenance until our next outting in 3 weeks.

Cheers!  8)

That was one heck of a first day's drive, especially starting at 8 pm ! But I'm glad you all had a good time on your trip. Maybe next time you could go slower and enjoy more?

Wendy

V2Neal said:
We left home (Apple Valley, MN) at 8PM on Aug 23rd and began the trip. 
We departed Newport Beach on Aug 22 and drove to Trailer Villiage at the Grand Canyon.

It would appear that you have time-traveling '98 Pace Arrow.  I thought you needed a DeLorean for that.  ;D

jagnweiner said:
It would appear that you have time-traveling '98 Pace Arrow.  I thought you needed a DeLorean for that.  ;D

Well I think we hit 88MPH once on a downhill in Colorado, but ...

;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom