Narcoleptic Panasonic Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mercadoh

My 1997 Panasonic NN S546 BAV in my Fleetwood MH drives me crazy.  In the morning, on shore power or generator,  it won't wake up for maybe ten minutes.  Those are the most precious coffee demand minutes of my day.  When it awakes and runs once, it will put out a 9 course meal.  Then we pull over at a lunch stop and try to reheat the soup.  Again, it may or may not decide to operate immediately.  The shore power part of the problem occurs in most every park or hook up we come across, and doesn't seem to be related to how full the park is (overall power useage).

Any ideas? 

As much as I prefer to fix things, I would assume that your Microwave was manufactured on either a Friday or a Monday. Replacing it may be your only option.

If you have the tools and ability, you *could* open it up and look for a bad solder joint. Probably a tiny crack in one solder joint on the main controller board. Tough to find, easy to fix, but overall probably not worth it unless you are a DIY diehard and figure you have nothing to lose since replacing it is really your only other option and you *could* save the replacement cost.

Strangely Microwves are the one item where I'm not very pro Panasonic.. There have been only two microwaves on the market which truthfully scared me.. one was a Panasonic and to be honest I am not sure if it was really all that bad (I could see light entering the lower rear of the cooking chamber from OUTSIDE the cabinet.. if light can come in,  Microwaves can go out) (the other is an LG fire hazard.. Proved it too, thankfully when I was NOT at the office (Dang thing caught fire))

Normally Panasonic hardware is tops, in fact it tends to be "More than you pay for" (That is a 100 buck Panasonic device would sell for like 250 if someone else made it)

However, in this case I am reminded that many Microwaves these days are computer controlled, and there are five ways to BOOT a computer.. I recommend method five (NOTE: THis applies to WIndows as written)

1: Cold boot (Also applies to microwave) When you turn it on in the morning
2: Warm boot (Ctrl-alt-delete twice, Start, Turn Off, Restart)
3: Soft boot: "Do you wish to restart now / Later ?")
4: Hard boot.. My other computer has a genuine reset button
5: Steel toe boot..... (Recommended in this case) That way you do not hurt your foot.

Sorry about the liquid on your keyboard.

Thanks, men.  I'll ignore your advice and give it the float test: toss it in the river and if it floats, retrieve and fix it.
If I do find the gremlin that's causing it, I'll tether it to the windshield as a bug deflector.

I took our Keurig coffee maker on our last trip...no mess with the K-cups at all and it makes terrific coffee (if you like it strong like I do, get Sumatran Reserve or Big Easy Bold). No grounds to dispose of, no "burnt" coffee, etc. I'll be taking this along from now on. Might be a reasonable alternative to the microwave.

Just be careful when on the inverter, our Cuisinart says not to use a modified sine inverter as damage may occur.  I may take it tomorrow as we will have hookups where we will be, hospital parking lot.  :-[

Jim,
Hope all that ail that ails is cured, fixed, controlled, or otherwise acceptably dealt with for you or whoever you are spending time with.

...a hospital with RV hookups? Really? Wow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom