North to SOUTH AMERICA? has anyone else done it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markenglish

Has anyone else traveled from North to South America by RV?? I have, and will be also doing it again soon, at the present I am doing a fact gathering mission on the route of the Pan American Highway (some I can share and the rest is for two different organizations which I am contracted with)..? I hope to be able to pass accurate information to members of this forum.

The journey is a fantastic one, and not yet discovered by many other RVers....a definite PLUS!? If anyone that has previously done this, please contact me, and if anyone wants to do it, I will share information that I can with them.? Looking forward to interesting and positive conversation
.[/size]

The Darien Gap...is a "GAP" in the trip!  From Panama, you must ship to one of the South American countries via 'steamship', preferable a "roll-on, roll-off" type.  The other type of shipment is via 'rack' , where your RV is loaded on a steel rack, which is in turn loaded on top of deck or on top of the containers.  Shipment takes from 48 hrs to two weeks, depending on the schedule of the ship.

Sorry, in the delay in answering this.  Haven't checked this..my email is [email protected]  I am preparing to go on another south amer trip next month...really excited!! 

JamesOne said:
Wow, I googled "Darien Gap". That place is something else. :eek:

More than that.  Here is a quote from the Wikipedia article on the Darien Gap

The entire Dari?n Gap is largely under the control of three Colombian rebel groups. These include the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC), a right-wing paramilitary group headed by Carlos Castano; the National Liberation Army (ELN); and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). The AUC has committed widespread human rights violations. The FARC and ELN have also committed serious breaches of international humanitarian law. [1] The U.S. State Department reported that combined, the ELN and FARC have been responsible for 51 kidnappings and ten murders of American citizens. Kidnappings are common for political and financial gain. The AUC has allegedly helped Darien Gap travelers in isolated instances.

Among the political victims of the Dari?n Gap were three missionaries who disappeared from Pucuro on the Panamanian side in 1993. British travelers were kidnapped in Dari?n Gap in 2000 and held for nine months, this is documented in the best selling book 'The Cloud Garden' by Tom Hart Dyke and Paul Winder. In 2003, Robert Young Pelton, on assignment for National Geographic, and two teammates were detained by AUC rebels for one week in a highly publicized incident.

I would say that RV folks should not even go near that little hellhole. 

We, Bill and Carol, did it, drove to Central and South America in a Motorhome and we are almost ready to do it again in March, go to www.Movingon1.com and you can see out web site with the previous trip and the preparation for the next one in March this year. Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom