Our FIRST ROAD TRIP EVER in our New to Us Winnebago Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THEBigLarry

Tomorrow morning we set out in our 2002 Winnebago Adventurer towing the 85 CJ-7.  I found a tow bar on craigs list that is monster
stout.  Drilled and bolted to bumper, attached wiring and converted to work in 'tow mode'.  All systems tested twice and a lot of money
invested in gasoline.

We are headed Oklahoma City, to Santa Fe NM via Amarillo (I-40).  3-4 days in Santa Fe then to Ojo Caliente for a couple days
at the hot springs spa, then to Chama NM for some 4 wheel roads.  Then back via Mom's house in the Texas Panhandle for a quick
visit and check in before returning home.

We have planned for this trip for 30 years or better.  Hard to believe it's finally here.  Trip report to follow.

Here's to a safe and fun trip.  Remember that we are here for you if you have problems or questions.

We have an 05 Adventurer. It is a great rig for us. Little issues as expected but wiith maintenance it has done quite well. Enjoy the trip!!!!

Safe travels and start planning your next trip.  Road trips are like potato chips.  One is not enough.  :D

Mike Wagner

Well, our first stop on our new trip was 1.5 miles from the house at IHOP.  We celebrated with store bought breakfast.  We drove about 60 miles and paranoid me stopped to check air pressure in my brand new tires.  I found the inside RR dual at 30 lbs.  I suspect a bead leak or
a bad valve stem extender.  I pumped it back to 95 and started the process of stopping every 120-150 miles and checking the pressure.  We
typically stop about then to 'walkabout'.  So far it has stayed steady at 95 lbs.  I tightened the valve stem extender about 1/4 turn, maybe that was it.

The rear view camera has been intermittent on or off.  No big deal, the Jeep was there when we pulled in to the Santa Rosa NM RV Park, so I am happy, Loretta not so much.  She doesn't like my Jeep.

Found a few other things, driver side mirror was loose and pivoting around some.  Stop in Amarillo and 30 seconds with allen wrench and we're good to go.  (checked air pressure also - 95 lbs). 

The 8.1L GM motor drinks heartily, but about every other stop, I run in $75 and call it good.  So far we have operated mostly above the 1/2 tank mark and I think I will just keep that going.  It seems to work well.  Gas selling for $3.59 Gallon, so it's not outrageous, just very costly.  HA.

Cool and comfortable in Santa Rosa.  We had hoped to make Santa Fe tonight, but did not drive much over 60 (worried about tires), and enjoyed the scenery.  We paused for an hour or so in Amarillo to buy groceries and visit with old friends who live there.  Then we're off. 

Tomorrow Santa Fe and will park in National Forest.  Tonight in RV park will give me chance to flush out Black tank, fill with city water and be ready to boondock for a few days. 

More later if I can locate wi-fi.

The Big Larry

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Hope it keeps going well for you.

Start thinking about swapping your Jeep for a Liberty or similar. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!

You need to update that Jeep to a TJ (1996-2006 as I recall), preferably with AC and an automatic. The coil springs make a big difference and cool and easy both help. Tara loves our Jeep, but I can't imagine subjecting her to an '85! (or me either now that I think of it!)
JM2C, have a great trip!
Ernie

Well as  plans go, they changed.  We parked in the Santa Fe National Forest outside Santa Fe and bought our $10 Lifetime Pass.  They are having Festival in Santa Fe and it's a good party, so we just decided to hang around.  We're shopping houses here as the Mrs. thinks it would be a good base to operate from.  She wants to escape tornadoes and blistering heat in Oklahoma. 

So we now have moved for a couple days to a local RV park, back on utilities, and enjoying good food.  She has warmed up some to the CJ7, but not much.  I now have wi-fi so I can add to my trip log. 

That pesky RR inside dual was down to 75 lbs before we left Black Canyon.  The NPS host said he had an air compressor, but when we were ready to depart, he was no where to be found despite pre arranging with him to blow on my tire.  I crippled on to the  RV park where the host said they have air compressor that can put 95 lbs into the 19.5 tire no problem.  I will see that it gets done before heading east sometime mid week. 

Meanwhile, it's all good. 

Thanks for the well wishes.  If you're a forum reader, were in Santa Fe.  Give us a note, I always have an extra bottle of Barley water to share.

The Big Larry

We took the day and did housework.  Vacuum, windows cleaned, leather seats treated and cleaned.  I also did a few maintenance
issues on the RV as well as the CJ-7.  Tomorrow morning we enjoy Huevos Rancheros for desayuno (breakfast), then start working
our way back toward the home base.  We will overnight in Stinnett TX (my home town) and see Mom and some high school friends.
The city has RV parking for 3 days ($10 / day) that includes water, sewer and 30 amps.  Not a bad deal.  We will be there for two
nights then on home.

The Adventurer has performed well.  All heating and A/c systems worked as intended.  Water on city fill as well as pump did just fine.
We have found our house batteries are weak and would not hold a charge overnight.  I boosted them each morning from the CJ to
start the generator.  I will see about testing them and if they are weak, replace them.  If they are good and are just draining I will have
to investigate as to why.  We will see.  We even sat through a pretty good rain one evening while in the National Park.  No water inside
that I could locate.  We are very happy with our new acquisition.  Looking forward to many years of good service from it.

It's fun to read about your new adventure and how much you are enjoying yourselves. 

However (I'm a preventative personality and a worry wart) you might want to get that leaking tire repaired/replaced asap.  If it gets low, gets hot and then blows on you, it could do LOTS more $$ damage to the rig than the cost of a new tire or the time to repair it.  Also, if the batteries are the ones that came with the coach, they probably need to be replaced as well.  Batteries don't do well after a couple of times of going dead; and if the coach is new to you, you have no idea how many times they have been allowed to fully discharge.  If this has happened, the batteries lose their ability to recharge and hold a charge. 

I know it's easy for me to spend YOUR money; but all this goes along way in keeping the trip safe and a happy one.

Marsha~

Marsha, yes you are correct.  I will have the tire issue addressed by the dealer ASAP.  We have only one short road trip planned
between now and year end, so I have some time.  Other obligations will keep the Big Boy parked for now, but plans are to go to
Florida for winter.

Fresh coach batteries will be a priority before we depart along with the new Bilstein shocks that are setting in the garage now.

We thing the RV life is going to be good for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom