RVing in the Snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

We just found out that my husband may be working in an area that gets snow in the winter months.  We've always lived in California and have never really dealt with snow especially when camping.  This year though, since I'm retired I'm thinking that I will tag along and live in our RV.  Question is this, will my Motorhome be okay in the snow?  If we get there before the snow season (like in November) and then stay until it thaws... (like March) so, we really wouldn't have to drive in the snow, just live in it.  Thanks for letting me know in advance whether this will work for us or not....

Mikie

Make and model of your MH might help some to respond.  Does your MH have an Arctic or winter package?

You should be fine.  Horizon?  Slides may want to be in a bt more than usual.  Last winter we worked at Grand Canyon, had lows down to -19.  We were fine.  Get a bulk propane tank delivered.  I don't have slides, and for winter that is better, but slides can still work for you.  Likely want to leave the bedroom slide in.

Tony:

See her signature.

Mikie:

Snow is one thing but temperatures are what are important. Are you talking temps averaging 20-30 degrees or real winter at 10 below? Keeping things working at those temps becomes real work.

The biggest concern to winter RVing is that snow.salt does serious damage to the under carriage.  Things like starters or alternators soon need to be replaced, and electrical connections corrode.  So, make sure you really won't be moving it once you are there, or don't take it.  We routinely had to run the risk when heading south in December, or north in April.
    As Jeff said, winter camping is do-able, but can be a lot of work.  You will need an extra propane tank to run the furnace, and we chewed up a full tank in 5 days when we got storm stayed in Taos, at zero F temps 2 years ago.  Water connections will need to wrapped in heating tape, additional heating, like drop lights in the boots may be required.  Yet we found that with a decent down comforter, and furnace we were rarely cold.

Ed

Thanks for all of your answers.
utahclaimjumper said:
If your living in snow,, you will be driving in it.>>>D

What I meant by that was that the MH wouldn't be driving in it.  I figure I will be driving in it in my jeep which is 4x4.

I don't think that the weather will be in the minus category that much.  We're talking Truckee area...not Wisconsin!  Still, snow is snow and as some have said there might be problems.  I'm especially concerned with the fact that some said to not use my slides.  Well, we have 4 slides and with them in there isn't much room to move around, in fact if I put in my bedroom slides I would have to climb on the bed to get into the room and would not be able to open the closet or the drawers.  So, that would not work.

The company will pay for housing so it looks like maybe we should just rent a cabin.  I was just thinking that this would be a good time for us to "practice" full timing.

Thanks again...Mikie

If you use your slides when it is snowing, make sure you have a ladder so you can clear off the snow before closing them. You do not want to be on top of your unit in those conditions, also clean the snow off frequently as wet snow weights a lot. You may also get leaks as the snow builds up over the seals. If the MH is not going to be moved you could enclose the bottom to help keep you warm and prevent anything from freezing.  You might also build a small roof over your entrance so your steps do not get icy.
Have Fun  should be an adventure :)
Howard

4ducksrus said:
Thanks for all of your answers.

What I meant by that was that the MH wouldn't be driving in it.  I figure I will be driving in it in my jeep which is 4x4.

I don't think that the weather will be in the minus category that much.  We're talking Truckee area...not Wisconsin!  Still, snow is snow and as some have said there might be problems.  I'm especially concerned with the fact that some said to not use my slides.  Well, we have 4 slides and with them in there isn't much room to move around, in fact if I put in my bedroom slides I would have to climb on the bed to get into the room and would not be able to open the closet or the drawers.  So, that would not work.

The company will pay for housing so it looks like maybe we should just rent a cabin.  I was just thinking that this would be a good time for us to "practice" full timing.

Thanks again...Mikie

Ah Truckee!    You have another consideration there besides cold and salt on the roads.  Truckee and Donner Pass are famous for incredible depths of snow.  You could easily find yourselves with snowload and access problems.  There is a reason for all those snow skiing resorts being in the area.

I would go for the cabin -- at least for the first winter.

My sentiments, Carl.  I suspect Mikie has never been in that part of California in the winter!  People who want to use their RVs in the winter generally have it specially prepared, such as the aforementioned arctic package.  You'll have to worry about freezing pipes, using lots of propane for heat, perhaps difficulty dumping tanks, keeping any exhaust pipes (such as furnace) clear of snow, ice on slideouts, and any number of things.  As long as the company is willing to pay for housing you should take them up on it and save your practice fulltiming for a time of year that is more conducive to fulltiming.  Once you have some time and understand everything better, then you can do your cold weather practicing.  There's a reason why snowbirds go south in the winter!

ArdraF

Jeff, oops.  Missed the MH in the sig.
Mikie, yes, a 4x4 will help with getting going in the snow but it's not going to help with braking, etc.

A few years ago I hit the only snowdrift on a four lane highway for 120 miles and ended up doing a 270 (or more likely a 630  :) ) and sliding sideways into the snowy ditch.  Fortunately I didn't tip over so the tow truck only had to pull me out.

After phoning the auto club I then phoned the RCMP.  They told me that they had already received a call from a tractor trailer driver.  I later realized that presumably I convinced her I wasn't drunk as she didn't send out a constable to ensure that alcohol wasn't involved.  :) :)

ArdraF said:
My sentiments, Carl.  I suspect Mikie has never been in that part of California in the winter!  People who want to use their RVs in the winter generally have it specially prepared, such as the aforementioned arctic package.  You'll have to worry about freezing pipes, using lots of propane for heat, perhaps difficulty dumping tanks, keeping any exhaust pipes (such as furnace) clear of snow, ice on slideouts, and any number of things.  As long as the company is willing to pay for housing you should take them up on it and save your practice fulltiming for a time of year that is more conducive to fulltiming.  Once you have some time and understand everything better, then you can do your cold weather practicing.  There's a reason why snowbirds go south in the winter!

ArdraF

I remember going thru Truckee in the old US 40 days and driving thru a slot canyon of snow about 10 feet high on the way into town.    I do not know what things were like last winter, but the Sierra did get some 600 inches of snowfall.  :eek:

Yep  !!!!!!

There's a reason why snowbirds go south in the winter!

We still have to brave the passes going to and fro,,,,  last March spent 5 days waiting to go north over  two passes,  That must be the reason Powell lake has so much water this summer    :D :)
Howard

Thiese were taken in April 2010 when we crossed over the Sierras on US 50, which is just south of the Donner Pass.  As you can see, there was a lot of snow, and it had been blocked the week before by a bad storm.

Ed

Attachments

• Cal snow.jpg
    Cal snow.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 39
  • CAsnow2.jpg
    CAsnow2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 35
Well you all bring up a lot of good issues...I have been to Truckee/Donner as we've always skied at Northstar and Squaw Valley.  Last year there was ALOT of snow, that's for sure!  I guess what I was asking was if anyone has lived in their RV in the snow, simple as that.  From the consensus of the group I think the cabin is probably the way to go...I'm still hoping they send him south...LOL

Thanks again,
Mikie

Back
Top Bottom