Hitting the Road Soon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whirlwind

Hi everyone.  I've spent the summer working on my old Yellowstone, so I haven't been around for awhile.

Looks like I'm headed to Boise Idaho (from Georgia) very soon, to visit an elderly relative.  I'm planning on staying there for 2-3 weeks. 

At first I was just planning to drive and find cheap motels along the way.  But the more I think about it, if I leave soon (like within a week), I'd rather drag the Gypsy and maybe take my time and do a bit of wandering on the way back home.  That said, I'm afraid of Old Man Winter moving in on me, and I don't want to get stranded. 

Can anyone give me any insight as to the best routes to take, warnings, words of wisdom, favorite campgrounds,  etc.?  Another relative today (who has drive the GA/Idaho run several times) told me if I go home the southern route (winding around to I-40 or I-20) I should be OK.

Anyway, I realize this is a strange post.  I am doing my "due diligence and research" on all of this, but thought it was worth a post in case some of you who have been there and done it have any words of wisdom to share.

Thanks for any insight.

Whirlwind

Hello:
Sounds like you are "up" for your Road Trip.... good!

What is "My old Yellowstone"?
Also, "drag the Gypsy" means what?

"Old man Winter" should not be a problem for awhile, and as to stranded (beyond hours) should not happen.
As to routing..... southern route (Rt 40) would be my choice for both ways. Less people and more "scenic".

I always enjoy going through Gallop, NM. (old Route 66)
And...., as I travel through Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, I always like to find an "overlook" where one can see the trains that travel "East/West". I park for a few hours and listen to the train whistles as they pass. It takes awhile to find a spot where they have to whistle, intersections or stations, but worth it to me. It's what makes the journey for me.... one reason I'm "on the road".
I think next time I will note the locations.... maybe others have done this and can identify a location?

I'm sure others will have suggestions that will ad to your "excitement" and get you "on the road" with enthusiasm.
Good luck......

You don't say exactly when you will be departing and returning.  The rest of Sept and most of Oct should be fine.  Any October snows tend to melt in a day or two.  Do get and plan to stay south by Halloween.

Thanks for the replies.

Mr. Bojangles, my trailer is a 1956 Yellowstone named Georgia Gypsy.  I always talk about "dragging my trailer around", another way to say "towing my trailer". 

I drove from GA to Santa Barbara California to buy her, and pulled her home for repairs. 

I-40 was my way home from CA.  It was very pretty.  And parts of it were very windy.  One special spot was discovered because of the wind, one day I just couldn't deal with it and pulled off early to find a spot to camp for the night.  If you haven't been to the Sonora Caverns (in Sonora Texas), you've missed something special, that place is worth a visit.

I like the idea of listening to the trains.  And I definitely want to do Route 66, that has long been on my "list of things to do before I depart this planet".

@Maverickbbd, if I do this trip I'll be leaving ASAP, in about a week.  After much thought I'm considering a plane instead (stay a week/assess the situation, then proceed from there).

Thanks again.

Whirlwind   

Holy Cow......... !

I thought "drag" meant "pull", but your YELLOWSTONE is a trip (pun not intended) . I found a picture of a 56 Yellowstone in England of all places...... neat! Just did not equate to a trailer.
Click on site below, then hold "control" key while hitting "F" key.
A window will appear.... type Yellowstone and you will magically be taken to the "YELLOWSTONE trailer.

http://www.american-caravans.co.uk/airstreams-for-sale.html

I have put SONORA CAVERNS in my radar..... if I go west along Rt #10 again, I will stop. I have been to Big Bend National park down there and must have been real close.

Disappointed that you will be taking a PLANE, but the words "stay a week/assess" sound smart.
Good luck on any of your choices. I get excited thinking of travel, any type.
See ya on down the road!
Mr. Bojangles

Mr. BoJ, thanks for the link.  I've seen pics of that trailer before, I was amazed to learn that lots of old vintage trailers find new homes overseas. 

Mine has the same kitchen floorplan as the one pictured, but the living room area of my trailer is a little different.  She is close to being "photo worthy", I'll post a few pics soon.  Earlier today I was telling a friend that I was considering painting my stove to look like the one in those pics. 

If you make it to the Sonora Caverns, please tell Bill that Peggy the flute lady (with the old trailer and the old dog) said hello.  ;-) 

Whirlwind

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom