"Towing for dummies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick M

Hi all, I am not an RV'er yet just looking for some friendly knowledgable info concerning towing a trailer.  I rented a uhaul enclosed 5X10 cargo trailer for moving my son's personal items to college.  I was able to borrow a Denali to tow with and really liked the idea of having little cargo in the vehicle, just 4 passengers and a few odds and ends in the vehicle.  I am considering buying a 5X8 cargo trailer since I will be doing these trips for the next 6 to 7 years.  The trailer specs are GVWR = 2990 lbs. (curb wt = 1040 and payload = 1950).  I will be buying a new vehicle soon and would like to get a mid size vehicle, trying to stay away from mini vans.  I need to buy something that will tow this trailer with the dorm room contents and have 4 passengers in the vehicle.  After reading many forums and websites concerning towing I wanted to see if I am doing my calculations correctly.  If I add the curb weight of the vehicle + weight of passengers and cargo and fluids + weight of trailer + weight of trailer contents and the total stays comfortably below the GCWR of the tow vehicle will I be OK?  I also think I will be able to use a class 2 hitch.  Thanks for your help, now if I could figure out how to back the thing into the driveway I will be golden!

You are ok on the calculation, though I'm not sure what fluids you are talking about. Curb weight includes any fluids necessary for operation of the vehicle, including fuel.

Class II is up to 3500 lbs, so you would be pushing the limits. A Class III receiver would be better on a vehicle intending to tow regularly.

We have a GMC Acadia rated for 4000 lbs and it tows those loads nicely. A roomy 6 passenger SUV with car-like manners. Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave are sisters.

Gary RV Roamer said:
..., though I'm not sure what fluids you are talking about. Curb weight includes any fluids necessary for operation of the vehicle, including fuel.
Probably referring to beer, going to college after all :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  Now I know curb weight includes gas, oil, etc. no beer though!  Sounds like a plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom