Where are the Class B owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wondered about that. Or, did they wear clothes, at all. Or, just on special occasions? (Like going outside, for example.)

I would hate to hazard a guess as to how many YEARS I have spent on the road, professionally. Lived out of a suitcase! And, had changes of clothing and kept them clean. Road TRek is bigger than a suitcase, albeit, not much bigger. I think it could be done. Might be challenging to make that into a fun thing. Road Trek not as big as a hotel room.

Think of it as a huge suitcase!  ;D

I have thought about the time I spent on the road, and wondered if a motorhome and a toad might have been the way to go.

Nah! I'm retired! I quit, and I'm going to stay quit!  ;D

Ray D

Maybe my husband and I are unusually compatible but we have no problem spending a month together in our Roadtrek. No-we do not wear our clothes until they are filthy and then throw them away! we change clothes regularly and when the dirty clothes bag is full we stop at a laundramat-usually every 10 to 14 days. We take books and games to use in the evening and if the weather is bad. We have a 11' x 14' screen room we put up if we get in early or are spending a couple nights at the same spot. We frequently do all our cooking and eating outside and have reclining chairs to relax outside too. We find it a wonderful way to travel!

roadtrekker1 said:
Maybe my husband and I are unusually compatible but we have no problem spending a month together in our Roadtrek.  ...We have a 11' x 14' screen room we put up if we get in early or are spending a couple nights at the same spot. We frequently do all our cooking and eating outside and have reclining chairs to relax outside too. We find it a wonderful way to travel!

The awning and mat make a nice addition, I must admit. Ours isn't screened, so bugs can be a problem after dusk. We do have a screen over the sliding entry door, and that opens things up nicely, too. Kick back in the recliners with a glass of winebeverage - pretty nice. But for a month it seems it would get kinda close in there. Any tips?

What type/style of screen room do you have?

Rich_in_Tampa said:
The awning and mat make a nice addition, I must admit. Ours isn't screened, so bugs can be a problem after dusk. We do have a screen over the sliding entry door, and that opens things up nicely, too. Kick back in the recliners with a glass of winebeverage - pretty nice. But for a month it seems it would get kinda close in there. Any tips?

What type/style of screen room do you have?
The screen room we have is a Wenzel but there are several other makes. We especially like the fact that it has a flap on the bottom that folds in a lays on the ground so the bugs cannot easily crawl in under the screen (and my little dog can't crawl out!)
On our trips we usually go in nice weather and we don't stay long in one place so most of the time we spend inside we are either driving or sleeping so close quarters has really not been a problem.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
How is it to assemble? I returned a Colemen cause it was ridiculously tedious to put up.
It takes two people about 10 minutes to put up. We have done it a number of times so we have a "routine". You lay it out, put in the stakes that hold it on the ground; there are 3 sleeves across the top and you put the poles through them and fasten them in place; then you take the 6 upright poles and insert them into the ends of the poles across the top and then stand them upright and there is a little fastener on the bottom that fits into the bottom of each pole to hold it correctly in place. When we have new equipment we always try it out at home a couple times so we don't "entertain" the campground as we fumble with it for the first time in front of an audience.

This new"b" owner  :)is in upstate NY waiting for spring and waiting for a knee replacement to heal :'(.  So in the mean time, I have been reading many forums and trying to absorb as much as possible so I'm ready to roll come April.  We purchased a 2005 Vista Cruiser G-26 for my wife and I to facilitate camping and traveling. We both teach high school and I will be retiring in July so we have lots of travel plans.  Our daughter attends college in California and our two sons attend college in NY.  I have planned at about one trip per month starting in July including traveling to Ca., a trip to R.I.(sailing) , Alabama (golf), Arizona in January.  This all sounds too good to be true but having the Vista Cruiser MB will make this possible with reasonable gas mileage and inexpensive accommodations.  My wife will be teaching for a few more years and will sometimes travel by air to meet up with me and travel during her vacations.  Many adjustments will need to be made but we hope this will be the beginning of new chapter for us. Thank you all for all your comments here and on other forums.  I really like RV.net for Conversion Van forums and hopefully this one will continue to include lots of info for us new"b"s.  :)

b_smitty said:
What was the longest period you spent traveling and living in your B? 

In 2004 we left New Jersey and toured much of the southwest. Eight weeks in a 17 foot Roadtrek . . . the two of us, two cats with mandatory litterbox and a 90lb german shepherd!
So, it can be done . . . but I can't say I really recommend it.  :)

In 2007 we did much the same trip but this time in a 19 foot Roadtrek. Without the shepherd as she had "moved upstairs." Another eight weeks.

This year we set out again in the 19 foot Trek. We got to Sierra Vista, AZ  and impulsively traded the Trek in on a 21 foot Class C Freelander.

Much prefer the Freelander for the room it offers but miss the Trek for the easier driving, better fuel milage, attractive streamlined appearance and general all-round ease of getting it serviced.
Everything's a compromise.

We are new to the forum, new RV campers (former tenters and roadtrippers-thus the name), and the new owners of a (not so new) 1995 Roadtrek Versatile.
Just put down the deposit today--any advice?Tips? Things you wish you had known/done when you were starting out? We are planning a summer cross country trip for next year and would love some advice. Thanks for any and all help!

My best advice is not to get too locked into a 'schedule' and above all to enjoy yourselves.

Wendy

Hi, in August, we purchased a 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau and we love it.  Just completed a 2 week trip to Bar Harbor Maine and Cape Cod.  We have 2 dogs and want to travel the country.   

Well, I'll join this thread, I guess... Just purchased a '99 Ford E-150 camper van with a pop-up roof. One owner, from Michigan. Will store it at a friend's in Idaho when I'm not over in the US cruising around in it (I live in Norway). I chose a class B mostly because of the size and nimbleness compared to larger vehicles - also, since I am just one person, I don't think I'll really mind the cramped quarters.  ;)

Jan.

We have a 2008 PleasureWay Excel.  Although we've taken many camping trips, the long ones have been in our previous RV, a class C.  This summer we will drive from Miami to Anchorage, so we'll have plenty of time to check it out!

You should have a GREAT time.  We did a two month Alaska trip 3-4 years ago starting and ending in Michigan.  We really enjoyed ourselves in or 'B'

I purchased a 94 HORIZON a couple of years ago and have put about 20,0000 miles on the beast.  I wanted to try it out with a less expensive option before buying a RoadTrek, whiich is what I really wanted.  It has been a lot of fun.  Too close for more than a couple of weeks for wife, dog and I.  Mostly wife and I.  We try to stay in state parks because they are interesting, safe, clean, and not crowded even when full.  Based on my experience, I would not include a generator, hot water heater, or dedicated shower space, in a new purchase (all different than I thought when a new purchase was an option).  We plug in every night and depend on showers and electricity to be part of the hookup, and have not been disappointed.

Comfort in the evenings is the main problem.  Nothing close to a recliner and HD TV in a B.  And there is no way to really get comfortable.  If I could cure this, I would stay on the road permanently.

2009 Roadtrek SS Agile; bought late August.

Love it so far, mostly short trips at this point.  

Just got back from Assaetegue Island in MD, and DC area.   About 10 days, not all camping.  
Plan on Florida in January and further west in the Spring.  

Dan

My husband and I just purchased a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous (22' overall) w/ a Mercedes Diesel, so the fuel economy should be great. That appealed to us, as well as the fact I wanted a vehicle that didn't feel overwhelmingly large to me when driving on country roads...I'm a "midget" at 5'2" and don't like the feeling of driving really large vehicles, even SUVs like the Navigator or Escalade or... So, we went with something small and very manageable.  But, hey, we owned a 27' Bristol sailboat for many years that was built to be a daysailer, yet we comfortably lived on it every weekend for many summers. It was really tiny, much smaller than the Roadtrek! Yet we loved it...I could cook a 4-course dinner on the tiny, single-burner alcohol stove that had to be pulled out on little rails from beneath the companionway. We figured if we could survive together in the boat, living in a Roadtrek would be a cinch. We'll let you know after we've done a few trips starting in March....for now, I'm just incredibly excited!    Susan in Denver

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom