Boondocking SCARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=FrankNSharon ]
............my personal impression is that the average American is not smart enough to find their way out of a phone booth without a map, much less intelligently use a weapon at 2AM after being up all day sucking down beers...

Here's hoping I never meet any of you under those circumstances.
[/quote]

The best way to avoid the possibility of meeting us them under those circumstances is for you to learn to intelligently use a weapon and STOP spending all day "sucking down beers..." 

I apologize for the comment "average American". It was obviously the focus of most reading my post and not the point of my post.

I am "average" also, but we, Americans, are of the most heavily medicated, we drink excessively, and act stupidly. Every year 50,000 people die in auto accidents, 14,000 die from gun shot wounds, millions end up in hospital emergency rooms - almost all a result of doing something "stupid".

Somewhere in this thread mention was made that "everyone" could train themselves to wake up at 2AM and be able to intelligently use a weapon. I challenge that assumption - most people can not wake up in the middle of the night and instantly be awake and able to make rationale decisions. Believing you can is a sure way for most (not all) to end up killing some innocent people.

Frank

I'm sitting having my morning coffee in a campground near Deadwood, SD.  In fact, we toured that area just yesterday.  As history tells it, Wild Bill Hickok, a 40 year old gunman of notoriety and considerable skill with a gun and no doubt, well armed at the time, was shot in the back of the head by John McCall. 

It occurred to me this tale might have some application in this discussion.  How one views it is, no doubt, the issue.

Here's my wife, Patricia, decked out for some boon-docking 'fun'... :eek:  She's a pistol packin' mama!

Attachments

• Pat loaded for bear [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    Pat loaded for bear [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Pat's Target [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    Pat's Target [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 43
Two words...........Smith & Wesson.... Don't be a victim!  I'm a retired cop, 30 years on the job. I NEVER travel, or camp without a firearm loaded and within easy reach, accompanied by a small but powerfull tactical LED flashlight. Not a "Home Depot" special, but an actual tactical light like a "Surefire" or some such.  Spend some money and get a good light and a good quality firearm, it's money well spent.  I mean how much is your life or your lovedone's life worth...several hundred bucks at least I'm thinkin'.  Also, keep a less lethal on hand also, i.e. a Taser or Pepper Spray (a good one, easy to use and very effective is the "Pepper Blaster" by Kimber Arms-Amazon about $40).  ALWAYS lock your door.  NEVER go outside until you know who's out there,  and NEVER, EVER, open your door to a stranger, I don't care what kind of tale they've got.  What about states that are not  firearm friendly you ask?  I don't go there.  There's only two or three, and they are of no interest to me.  One additional word of advice.  PRACTICE with your weapon once in a while.  It's a perishable skill.  In the dark and under stress, it's all about muscle memory and familularity with your weapon of choice. 
SIDE NOTES: RV WALLS ARE THIN!.  Be carefull handling your firearm and consider where your bullet is going to go if you do, God forbid, ever have to fire it.  One of the least expensive, safest (trailer walls), easiest for novices, and effective home defense firearms is a short barreled shotgun with like #7&1/2 or #8 Dove & Quail birshot load(not buckshot).  But back to the handgun thing....if you'll spend some time and obtain your Florida, Utah, and Nevada CCW permits, you're good in 33 states. You don't have to be a resident of either.  Florida and Utah can be obtained thru the mail, but Nevada you actually have to go there to get it done.  More information can be obtained on-line.  Also, Canada is a very anti-gun country.  They will totally spaz out and tear your RV or vehicle apart if they think you've got a  firearm hidden somewhere, particularly a handgun.  Soooo...either don't go there (my first choice and made easier by the price of fuel), don't take your gun(not a good choice), don't tell them you have a gun(could be BIG risk), or take a shotgun and go thru the hassle of getting a pre-travel permit thru their consulate before you go.  Your incident was a  valuable lesson, i.e. like how vulnerable you can be when you are un-armed, and, that lesson was not too expensive......this time.  Safe travels

I think I became aware of a .410 handgun sometime ago. seems like a better idea for the RV community who are inclined to carry.

Edit: Aha now I see that is exactly what the above mentioned Taurus aka Judge is. That is sensible gun for an RVer and they even sell .410 home defense loads and such. The shot has a somewhat limited range, which is a benefit really.

When RVing in CN the need to protect oneself is probably reduced. May be instructive...

There is a saying that I will butcher, something like a man with an army helmet will always see a problem...can be fixed with an army...or something along these lines.  It has import for this discussion, which by the way, remains civil! 

I'll say it again. I am thankful for police officers so thanks retired CSI Guy!

I'll echo what many others have.  If you do choose to have a gun, make sure you know how to use it and have exerienced firing it several times.  If you can not empty the clip or revolver with every bullet hitting center mass from 25 feet, practice more.  Unfortunately you can not practice the feeling you'll get inside when you point it at someone knowing you could end their life.

anemic said:
When RVing in CN the need to protect oneself is probably reduced. May be instructive...
By CN do you mean Canada?  If so I see no reason whatsoever to carry a hand gun in Canada.  For example, right now Edmonton, Alberta has a very high for Canada murder rate.  But it's all pretty much in two smallish areas of the city, happen after midnight, and mostly in two ethnic groups which are relative newcomers to Canada.  Needless to say the witnesses are generally non cooperative.  Oh, and there aren't any RV parks or campgrounds anywhere near those spots.    They're not even within Barret .50 caliber sniper rifle range.  :)

I think it should be a requirement, along with Battery maintenance Training and Tank Dumping Training, that a person must have their "Rambo" gene removed before purchasing a motor home or RV. ;) :)

I had no idea that so many confident looking RVers were so scared of the dark.

Some of you are too funny, We had a Black Bear come into camp this year and if it would of tried to break in, he would of been a fireplace rug. If you think this won't happen, ask the homeowners here in Colorado Mountains confronting Bears in their homes. That is one of the reasons why I carry a weapon on the RV. 50,000,000+ gun owners have not killed anyone. (For those who are anal, I corrected the numbers and type of animal)

9,000,000+ gun owners have not killed anyone.

Statements like this make polite conversation difficult.

The statement says nothing, can neither be proven or dis proven, and if taken at face value would disprove exactly what the author intended, since there are about 50 million gun owners in the USA, so the statement then implies that 40 million of them have killed someone - which is obviously wrong.

If you think this won't happen, ask the homeowners here in Colorado Mountains confronting Bears in their homes. That is one of the reasons why I carry a weapon on the RV.

The following is quoted in whole from another location on the web, it says it better than I can.

To put the 'large caliber gun' as a protection against grizzlies into a little perspective:

Moderator edit: Removed content from another source.

Thus the only realistic way to protect yourself with a gun and at reasonable odds would be to increase the effective range to first engagement and allow for more and better placed shots. In other words, you would have to carry a Winchester 44 repeater on your hike and still be very good at using it out to 100 yards. Of course, if you come around a corner and surprise the bear at close range that won't help you much.

You gotta love how these gun threads run.  Testosterone appears and begins flexing its muscle on normally placid keyboards.

FrankNSharon said:
The following is quoted in whole from another location on the web, it says it better than I can.

To put the 'large caliber gun' as a protection against grizzlies into a little perspective:

Moderator edit: Removed content from another source.

Thus the only realistic way to protect yourself with a gun and at reasonable odds would be to increase the effective range to first engagement and allow for more and better placed shots. In other words, you would have to carry a Winchester 44 repeater on your hike and still be very good at using it out to 100 yards. Of course, if you come around a corner and surprise the bear at close range that won't help you much.

Based on the quote you provided are you arguing one is no better off carrying a sidearm ?  Personally, I'd rather have a small chance at surviving an attack, be it man or animal,  than none at all. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom