Trip Report 3 day September Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anemic

I was thinking while driving about 20 hours over a 3 day weekend that we should have a new forum similar to Destinations, but one just called Trips, or From The Road...

we had a decent drive from Grand Rapids to north of Stevens Point, WI, thru Chgo. My those tolls add up when you tow even a small trailer! Those cone zones can be so narrow! Luckily I have a fool proof alarm (my wife) which alerts me with high precision when I wander left in my lane. It was about 450 miles.

We took the option to drive around thru the UP to get home. Great choice. Almost zero traffic, although I did pass two hay wagons ! There were times when the high beams were on for 15 minutes at a stretch, zero oncoming traffic.

Narrow Lane Alert
US 2
the drive was foggy, so it was surely someplace between Marinette and Epoufette (a really long stretch) that is a cone zone. They are fixing the massive frost heaves that have been there for a couple years.

New Experience For Me
About 45 minutes into the drive home I encountered fresh road kill. Porcupine, East of Wausau on 29. Missed the bulk of it. It was a large, distributed mess across the entire lane
Had to pull over about an hour into the drive. Smelled burning plastic. Oh oh, electric fire! Hmmm, really though, after a thorough check of all suspect areas, there was no smoldering fire.
Are you getting what I'm stepping in?

It would come and go. For 9, 10 hours...clear air, then BAD plastic burning smoke smell filling the cabin. Did we cook the little AIMS 150 watt inverter? For a time that was an easy culprit, but it was the wrong diagnosis.

I figured something was jiggling onto the exhaust. A year ago we smelled that when a plastic shopping bag blew onto a wrapped up our car's catalytic converter. But that cooked off in a reasonable time. I couldn't really figure it out, but I had a hunch that somehow it may not be electric, not plastic, but somehow roadkill.

When I got home, I shone the undercarriage and immediately found the wheel wells were lined with gross matter, which obviously would occassionally let go & get flung onto the exhaust manifold or tailpipe and cook off giving us the incinerator smell. YUCK! I was glad to see that we don't have an electrical problem! I can wash away this problem! 

The color is not yet...anywhere. All green with very very little color so far.

I was thinking while driving about 20 hours over a 3 day weekend that we should have a new forum similar to Destinations, but one just called Trips, or From The Road...

We do have a section like that.  It's call Trip Reports, journals and Logs.  I'm moving your message to that section.

Marsha

thank you Marsha! I will look for it and use. Maybe I already have used it previously. I am a bit bleary today!

Back
Top Bottom