Ma & Pa Kettle Go To Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
Even though we have been here for six weeks now we had not yet gone into Washington D.C.  My sister will be visiting us in a couple of weeks so we are waiting to do it with her. 

Today we decided to go on a recon mission and scope it out so that when sis arrives we will know where to go, and how to do it.  So we drove to the Franconia ? Springfield Metro station to leave the car and ride the subway in, avoiding the heavy traffic of the City.  Buying subway tickets out of the machine was quite an ordeal including what kind of ticket to purchase, how many dollars to put on it, and just how to pay for it.  It wasn?t just us....  by the time we finally got the tickets there were two other first timer couples standing with us, equally confused.  Fortunately one of the attendants came out from her secure booth and assisted us.

It doesn?t end there.  Next it was a matter of figuring out which Metro to get on, although Franconia is the end of the line and there is only one train to choose from and it is going in only one direction.  Next it was a matter of figuring out where to get off and which way to go once we did get off.

I think we sun burned the roof of our mouths as stood looking up at the Washington Monument with our mouths wide open.

All in all it worked out great and I think we are ready to make the trip back up and begin seeing the sites.  It may be a big city but there were lots of friendly locals willing and able to help us out.

Is your sister's name "Kittle" or did you mean Ma & Pa Kettle? ???  Gotta keep our facts straight here. :)

DW & I have thought about visiting DC again, but we made two trips there with the kids "back when" before 9/11/01 and I'm afraid we'd be disappointed after the freedom we enjoyed in moving about back then.  We roamed the Capitol Hill halls, The National Archives, The Smithsonian, and all the monuments without so much as a single metal detector.  :(  Ah, bygone days...

DC has a "Hop on Hop off" or Double Decker tour system and I suggest you utilize these to see the major sites.  It is a great way to get to the memorials and not get blisters. DC is one of our favorite cities and it is difficult to see the sights in a couple of days.  Have fun!

If you want a good lunch and modestly priced, for DC, go to the Old Ebbitt Grill.  You might even see some political "power brokers" there spending our tax money for lunch!

geodrake said:
  Buying subway tickets out of the machine was quite an ordeal including what kind of ticket to purchase, how many dollars to put on it, and just how to pay for it. 

George,

Been there, done that with the Metro ticket machines.  You also need to make sure you don't run afoul of the law (see pic) while on the train. 

Mike Wagner

Attachments

• Metro rules.JPG
    Metro rules.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 47
George,

I spent 14 weeks in D.C., broken up into four trips, and really enjoyed the time. One day I decided to video tape the city. I started at the Capitol and walked all the way to Arlington!! Any travel was done on the Metro. The only time I felt uneasy was when Pat came down for a weekend and we went to the museum at the Washington Navy Yard. Walking from the Metro to the Yard was through a pretty seedy part of town. Fortunately, I spotted the Marine barracks at 8th & I. I told Pat if anything happened that was where we would head.  :)

Be sure to check out the old post office building. It has a tower where you can see all around the city. Just leave your credit card home as there are lots of shops to catch the eye of the women. :)

geodrake said:
Even though we have been here for six weeks now we had not yet gone into Washington D.C.  My sister will be visiting us in a couple of weeks so we are waiting to do it with her. 

While the White House, monuments, etc. are the most important to see, if you have a few extra hours, consider seeing the Spy Museum.  We were there recently, and it was a lot of fun.  You adopt a name at the beginning and try to figure out mysteries as you see lots of  spy realia and read lots of interesting facts and stories.  There was a lot of interactive exhibits.  Dean would be a much better spy that I would be.  We met up with my nephew who works in DC, and we got there early.  There is a good museum coffee shop with its own entrance.  We ate something small that was good, and I remember vowing that next time we would eat breakfast there--they had a terrific special.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom