1995 Itasca 34,Suncruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abacusblack

I have just found a 1995 Itasca 34ft. Sun cruiser,(no slide) with 29,000 miles on Chev 454 with Allison trans.
It looks clean from the photos in the ad and the asking price is $13,500.  I have asked for more photos and the age (years of the tires.)

Can any members give me any advice on this model? Was there any specific problems for that year? I have not done any research as I had narrowed my choice to a 34 ft. Winnebago Adventurer or a Bounder j model. I just saw this ad today and the low mileage caught my eye.

I appreciate any advice you can give.    Brian.    Mission BC. :)

The price is in the right ball park for a 95, but at that age condition is everything.  See the RV Forum library for RV-buying checklists and use the checklists to thoroughly go over the coach. It won't be perfect, but it is crucial to not have any surprises when & if you buy. RV fridges and generators are extremely expensive, and a new set of tires or an a/c unit is no small thing either..

Thank You for the welcome John.
Garry. I was expecting to replace tires as no one seems to tell you how many years old the tires are on the coach they are selling only how many miles are on them. That does not help if the coach was a permanent live in or sat at the lake for 15 years. Those are the 15 year old coaches with 15,000 miles on them. haha.
Do these coaches usually come with the Allison transmission or the regular Chev or ford trans? This guy has not answered my questions yet. I asked if it was the original engine at 29,000 miles, how old the tires were in years,past or present leaks from roof or windows,delamination problems,cracks in glass and if the coach was used for family weekend camping and annual vacations or had it sat at the lake. 2 days and no response yet.
I will be full timing in the future so I am looking for open space,basement storage and a j style bedroom that seems to have more wardrobe storage.
I have considered a Winnebago Adventurer 34, Bounder J model 34, Pace Arrow 34 and now have  spotted this Itasca. I have noticed in my searches that there are many Itasca's for sale from the 70`s  and 80`s. This proves they last, or used to . hahaha

Thanks for your help.  Brian.  Mission  BC.

Brian - you can also call Winnebago Owner Relations (see the resource sticky near the top of this board for contact info) and pick their brain about the unit.  Most of those OR guys have experience going back many years and should be able to help.

Here is the '95 brochure: http://media.goitasca.com/models/globalElements/brochure/previous-models/1995/itasca/95-Suncruiser-bro.pdf

If there is no slide, it is a 34A; however, the transmission is only listed as an automatic. Study it carefully. I recently purchased a '94 34RQ DP Suncruiser. It listed the Allison transmission as included.

Where is it located? Where was it advertised? Be very careful and either inspect it first or have someone you know or from the forum, if close, check it out for you. There are lots of scams with people asking for money to hold the coach for you.

I like the 34' Suncruiser; and a call to Itasca customer service might elicit more information, if you can get the ser# from the seller to check it out. Expect to buy tires, shocks, belts. maybe batteries and do a complete service before driving anywhere other than to the servicing center.
Edit: Fixed link.

Hi Bob.
Here are some photos of the 95 Suncruiser.
I spoke to the owner and he stated that they bought it in Arizona from friends who kept it in a shed when not in use.
Medical problems forces the sale. Stabilizer legs will not go down. ( Claims this just happened and the problem is not listed in the ad.
Seller claims the generator sat for years without running and now the carb needs a rebuild kit? ( Not listed in ad either.
I plan to offer $13,000.  They are asking $13,900 and feel this is fair. ( I thought it was $13,500.

This coach is in a storage lot as they live in a seniors trailer court with no parking for it. They live about 200 miles from me so I do not want to waste a trip.

Is my offer fair if I like the coach or should it be lower as there are repairs to make with unknown costs at the moment.
I would bring the coach in to a Service shop but it is a small town and everyone knows everyone and I do not want to be the outsider and be taken advantage of. I have been sent to a sellers Service shop in the past and told the vehicle is better than new but when I ask to see invoices they have refused. May not be the case here.
Any thoughts?

Brian.

Attachments

• 391919e_20.jpeg
    391919e_20.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 3569707_20.jpeg
    3569707_20.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 9377m3g_20.jpeg
    9377m3g_20.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 761536h_20.jpeg
    761536h_20.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 32
abacusblack said:
I appreciate any advice you can give.

Is it possible that there is some delamination (water-caused?) below the front awning arm, below the entry door, under the furnace, and/or below the back compartment door? It is hard to tell from your picture whether there is delamination or just the way the light is reflecting from these areas.

Richard

Where is it parked? Maybe someone on the forum reading this is close to it and you could always post a msg: "Is anyone close to ? and willing to look at a coach I'm interested in and give me their opinion?" Then, you might more info to take drive to see it. 200 miles is what some in NM have to do to get a new car or truck or to a hospital.

I believe those are HWH jacks, so a call to their 800# and service dept will reveal where the closest dealer is and how much you'll have to shell out to get those working. To get it on top shape may take 10-15k: to replace old tires, rebuild the genset, new belts, old rubber seals, a full servicing and fixing the odds and ends that rodents might have left behind. The Ford 460 may need a major tuneup as well and then there's the refrigerator and water system. . .  And what will you tow for a dingey?  :eek: 

You either pay someone else [the present owner] for having done all that or you get to; either way, you pay for it.  ::)

I bought mine at 16k and I'm at $31K with 6 new Goodyear tires, genset servicing, new aftermarket HWH Jacks, a new after market Jacobs exhaust brake, a new yoke to connect the u-joint to the Cummins engine that cracked on the trip home  :'( and the syncing of the Allison 6 speed to the exhaust brake they are starting on this afternoon hasn't been billed yet.

I've already paid the $2100.02 for the complete Blue Ox towing system installed with Remco base plate and US Gear internal brake and Remco/Flowmaster drive shaft disconnect so we can tow our Nisan Frontier Nismo 4x4 wheels down. It gets installed Wed.  ;D

We pay to play. . .and we love the lifestyle!  My wife retired today. ;D

Hi.

Update on the 1995 Itasca Suncruiser.

Well that was a wasted trip.  Being positive I guess I can say the town of Penticton BC is nice and I had a nice day of curvy mountain driving to keep my skills sharp.
As for the coach... There were MANY problems that should have been listed in the advertizement AND phone conversation that only came out when I started noticing things and asking questions.
Spent some time baking in the Arizona sun, that is the reason for only 29,000 miles....Parking brake not working, windshield washer reservoir missing (never was one?)...Leveling jacks just quit working???...more to generator problems than old gas. ( very very loud) and seller claims something MAY be wrong with the manifold... BIG problem= registered in Arizona and never registered in BC.  Even if it was a $100,000.00 coach the Bank will not even considering financing this. When questioned he replied I own a home in Arizona,I don`t have to register it in Canada.
As I mentioned there are many Canadians who fly out and buy repo or auctioned off RV`s for a fraction of the price of the same unit in Canada. The put in ads on craiglist or kijiji and sell them off.
Well I just have to keep looking.  Thank You for all your advice.  Brian.    Mission BC.

He forgot to mention to you he cannot legally sell it in BC either, as he likely did not 'import' it to Canada through the proper channels (and paid your favourite HST) and licensed it there.

It will be prone to legal problems if he tries to sell here if not imported/registered properly.

Back
Top Bottom