Caterpillar Engine Performance Improvements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tallulah

I have searched the site and have found nothing about diesel engine performance improvements.  Does anyone have any experience with Platinum Power Group's Power Harness?  I have a Cat. C7 engine and, of course, always looking for ways to improve performance (power, fuel econo, torque and reduce turbo lag).  I know Cummins has alot of aftermarket performance mod stuff, but Caterpillar doesn't seem to have that much, especially on the lower $$$ end.  Platinum Power Group's Power Harness claims (supported by OTR testimonials) about 40HP increase, 10-15% fuel econo improvement and reduced turbo lag, and the price is from approx. $150 to $250.  Also, I have seen mention of the AERO muffler, I'd like more testimonials about this mod. 

There is a lot of reassurance and knowledge improvement about this lifestyle thanks to all the contributors on this site.

It's not so simple as just increasing the HP of an RV diesel engine.  The cooling systems are generally just adequate for the engine and the drive train is also matched to the engine.  Increasing HP means burning more fuel which creates more heat, and a decrease, not increase, in fuel economy.  The added strain on the transmission may also be damaging.  It's best to leave the power train as designed.

Probably good advise...however, (yep, there he goes with the "however") my tranny is the Allison 3000 and is same one used on rigs with upto 50+HP more than mine at 330HP (I know, there radiators are probably bigger...maybe).  So, being the experiementer that I am (unless I get some persuasive dialog up or dwn) I will probably give it a spin, and post the results of my experiement.  It seems easy to install and remove when engine needs service (check and adjust should be made at factory set conditions).  Those truckers seem to be happy with it.

Anyway, still listening for more performance input, and Ned I like your posts...!

Probably good advise...however, yada, yada, yada

Don't pay any attention to Ned.  His posts are always full of bothersome sound logic, boringly sage advice and those pesky facts.

I am a little curious how Caterpillar overlooked the chance to add 40 hp and 10-15% fuel economy to their engine for a mere 150 bucks. ???
Looking forward to enlightenment... ;) :) :D

As these mods go,, $250.00 is very cheap, Gale Banks stuff for Cummins starts around  $1000.00 and up. The muffler has me interested to,, I have a 5 inch exhaust system and open muffler, so I don't see much improvement there.>>>Dan  ( I really would love the larger Banks turbo housing to shorten spool time and raise pressure)

I, too, have a Cat 300hp, and have talked to these people extensively about their mod.

http://www.brazelsrv.com/

My understanding is possibly a 25 hp increase, and a very negligible change in fuel economy. But it was more in the $500 range. If we had gotten all the way out to Washington this season, it probably would have been installed.

Several have commented on this mod to the exhaust but I don't know that it proved extremely satisfying.

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Aeroturbine/aeroturbinemufflers.htm

Frankly, the best referral is a satisfied customer with actual experience. Everything else is hearsay.

I have installed a propane injection system on my Beaver Marquis which has a CAT 3176, 365 HP - now called the C-12. Milage improved from 7.5-8.5 to around 10 mpg. There is a noticeable increase in the response when going up hills. I have started up a hill with the system off and then switched it on half way up the hill and immediately notice an increase in power and acceleration in speed. You can find out about propane injection here:  http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/index.html

Chet,

After reading the articles attached in your link, your solution seems to have a lot of supporters. Are you able to chart a break even point for the cost of the conversion and the additional cost of the propane yet? or do you feel that's even part of your decision?

skyking4ar2 said:
Chet,

After reading the articles attached in your link, your solution seems to have a lot of supporters. Are you able to chart a break even point for the cost of the conversion and the additional cost of the propane yet? or do you feel that's even part of your decision?

Unfortunately, I don't have the data from our 7800 mile trip last year around any more. I had fully intended to work it all out, but shortly after arriving home from the trip I ended up in the hospital and then had a 6 month recovery period where I didn't feel like doing anything. In the confusion of my illness and recovery period the data never got saved or assembled.

From memory. The propane use was not excessive. If I had to guess, I'd say less that a gallon every 150 to 200 miles. Since the propane feed is proportional to the boost pressure, it really only feeds into the air intake when you need it. As I said before, the power increase was quite noticeable. I concur with the claims made in the write ups. My experiences seemed to be similar. I did the installation myself. It wasn't hard, but you must be reasonably mechanically inclined. It took about 6 hours and involves a lot of crawling around under the coach. Total cost was about $900. I'd do it again, just for the power increase.

Ok folks, I can now testify that the reduced turbo lag claim for the Platinum Power Group power harness is true.  I installed the harness before our recent trip to the Golden Aspen Motorcycle rally and very noticeable throttle response at takeoff and acceleration during passing.  Typical turbo lag BH (before harness) was 3 to 4 seconds, AH (after harness) less than 1 second to one - one thousand...!  Also, felt like pulled stronger up hill, but just a feeling.  Can't tell on mileage yet because I haven't filled up from trip yet.  Anyway, for $175 and change, quick delivery, I think it was worth the $$$.  I am still going to look into further improvements mentioned; Power Pack MP8 and AERO muffler...the propane injectors seem pricy, but sound worth the investment...maybe later.  My main concern with all of these is the stress on the transmission and engine cooling....

Another proud owner!

I am a big believer in engine and system monitors, and historical data to back up the "seat of the pants" feeling. I like recording instruments in airplanes and have used them to great benefit and I like them for motorhomes.

Taking advantage of all the new instrumentation and computer analytics available on the later model engines tied to the simplicity of the PC's (and handhelds!), you can plot your current experience accurately before you make your modifications, then compare your results.

If I knew all the heating parameters from my current engine and transmission, it is not a big leap of faith to make a modification and judge the results accurately. Then, if corrective action is required, you know what it is, and about how much. Simple in theory, sometimes complicated in the implementation, but it would seem to deliver a much better assessment than "I think".

Show me the numbers!!  8)

(no sliderules, please, Randy)

:) Ok, I said I would report back on the Platinum Group Power Harness performance.  I finally filled the tank on the beast and calculated my mileage.  The Historic mileage on this MH has been 6.9 miles per,  I got 7.2 miles per while towing my F150 with my Softtail Harlely in the bed of the truck.  That's approx. 4.6% increase in mileage.  Not bad for $150 if you consider the reduced turbo lag.  I'll have to get the MH on a dyno to check the torque and HP....like that gonna happen...!  Still lookin to replace the muffler with the AERO 5050XL.

There are dynos in shops that can do that for you. Jim Statkus in Albuquerque is one that does motohomes. Ask for recommendations in your area.

Ok Bob, you got my interest up.  I tried to find Jim Statkus w/o success.  I live in Albuquerque, so it should be easy to find him.  You got anymore information on this guy; shop location, business name etc...?  I will probably get the dyno run done as a baseline for future performance mods.  I haven't heard about anybody getting their motor home dyno'd, but I always looking to improve performance on my vehicles and a dyno run is the first thing I usually do, but really never thought about doin a MH run before now.
Have you done that or do you know anyone who has...?

http://www.statkusengines.com/

in '95, when Jim & crew worked on my '90 Gulfstream Friendship with an Oshkosh chassis and a Ford 460 engine, they already were pros with both and knew exactly where to begin! They sure helped me. Drive your car down to shop, look around and ask questions. He has a long and respected history in Abq.

Bob,

I just called them and they do not have a chassis dyno for motorhomes. They thought Cat or Cummins locally might.

I would have liked to have gotten a reading on ours next week while in the area, since we are contemplating some upgrades this year, but I guess we will try farther south.

Kim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom