EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Caterpillar Engine Performance Improvements  (Read 21346 times)

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Caterpillar Engine Performance Improvements
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
Ya know, I was concerned that the fuel mileage was at 6.9 on this rig when we bought it, but didn't realize that it should be better (i'm new to diesel).  I will be getting the Freightliner chassis serviced in a few weeks.  I will see if the guys doing the service can find any reason it might be lower than I am hearing on the Forum.  With diesel fuel cost as high as it is, it sure makes the trips bite the budget.

One problem we had involved our side radiator fan. They are hydraulic with an electronic controller that had failed on ours because it had not been relocated properly when our motorhome was built. When the controller fails it runs the fan on high continuously to protect the engine. It uses around 40 hp and cost us about 1 mpg.

If you have a side facing radiator it is easy to check. When the engine is cold start up and see if the fan is running at 1500 RPM or so. If it is the controller has a problem.

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »
I will see if the guys doing the service can find any reason it might be lower than I am hearing on the Forum.

Chris, I donít know how handy the Freightliner guys might be on the mpg problem. I would suggest starting with you local Cat dealer. Run you serial and arrangement number by them to see if there are any service or warranty records on your HEUI system like injector change, etc. If it was done at a dealer they will know.
Also, the mpg I am using is running in economy mode around 60 to 65 mph. I run most of the time with cruise off because of traffic but do use it when I can. Watch your rpm or speed when you do your mpg test so you can compare apples to apples. Once you have multiple tests confirming your 7.1 I would also try to do some checks not towing anything just to see the difference if thatís possible. This would eliminate any outside influences from the towed vehicle. Sounds like youíve had the rig a while so I assume your air filter is clean and running below 20Ē and youíre not having any other issues with smoking etc.
1 or 2 mpg can be gained or lost by lots of things but the most probable cause is usually driving habits. If thatís what it comes down to at least it is an easy fix.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Tallulah

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Yep, its been awhile since I checked the replies, but thought it important to note that as someone commented...am I forgetting to account for my generator fuel useage..., and YES I was.  I will including that fuel useage in future calculations.  Thanks...!
Chris & Rebecca
04 Itasca Meridian 39' diesel pusher
02 Soft Tail Std.

powershotone

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Is Chet still around?  :)   another good site for fuel prices and diesel info is dieselboss.com it lists travel plaza prices and info.

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
Yes, I'm still around. However we got rid of the Beaver with the CAT and propane injection system 5 years ago and now have a Monaco Signature with a Detroit Series 60 engine. I liked the CAT, but this Detroit is an incredible engine and I really prefer it over the CAT.

As for fuel prices, I use the Gas Guru app on my iPhone. It has all the local stations, travel and truck stops with maps.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

powershotone

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »
You were moving your Mom I believe way back when!  Glad it worked out so well for you on that coach!
The 60 Series has got the torque for sure..could always use more power!  :)  The semi's with the Detroit's get great fuel economy gains..
Cheers!

Hosted by Over The Network