Where to buy American Silver Eagles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

Once upon a time I went to a large local bank to get Canadian currency before a planned trip to Alberta and British Columbia. I remember that in the same department of the bank, they were selling U.S. minted gold and silver coins, apparently directly from the U.S. Mint. My question - Are banks still able to do this? If I wanted to buy a few Silver Eagles, do I have to go to a retail coin dealer? I realize that they are available on eBay and also on-line through sources like APMEX in Oklahoma City, but if possible I would like someone local so that I could hand over cash and get the coins in my hand immediately. Again, local retail dealers are available, but they charge a pretty large premium over spot.  Any knowledge?

Thanks,
Bill

I used to buy from a local coin dealer at a good price but he had to start charging state tax on the difference from what the coins cost and $1. That is the American Silver Eagle is monetarily worth $1 but sells for $40, you pay tax on $39. I then ordered them by mail. I never tried the banks.

Check out the US Mint.  I buy proof sets from them and they also have uncirculated coins.  If you want silver proofs, the price has gone up due to the current price of silver.  I think I just paid $39.00 dollars for Eagles I bought in June.

Speaking about buying/selling Silver coins.

My topic is Junk Silver. I have a reasonable collection of coins, mostly Canadian and also Silver Eagles and Kennedy dollars and more. After buying a digital scale, researching the Silver content of each, calculating the content, I came up with about 46 Troy ounces of Silver. All neatly sorted into envelopes (labelled) and waiting for a place to sell them.

We have these traveling buyers come through town occasionally but most only buy certified collectible coins. All mine are junk i.e. circulated.

Anyone have a comment on how best to proceed?

Remember the Silver price hasn't been this high since the "Hunt Brothers".  Maybe it will keep on rising?

Carson FL

I ran across a coffee vending machine in a hospital the other day that returned change from larger bills in silver eagle dollar coins.

Water Dog said:
I ran across a coffee vending machine in a hospital the other day that returned change from larger bills in silver eagle dollar coins.
I, for one, quite like the Canadian dollar and two dollar coins.  Affectionately known as the loonie and toonie.  American dollar bills are a pain.

Seems to me that printing a paper $ bill is a lot cheaper than minting a metal coin.
Thinks of the power it takes to process a coin.... Someone pays for that extra cost.  The taxpayer...

Also, I carry a bunch of paper bills in my wallet... not a pound of metal in my expensive pants... ;D

Just something to think about. 

Carson FL

And a piece of plastic replaces those coins and bills :)

Good point, Ned. But paying for an ice-cream cone with plastic just ain't what I do.
I even carry small change in my "expensive pocket" to help out the cashiers.  8)

Carson

carson said:
Seems to me that printing a paper $ bill is a lot cheaper than minting a metal coin.
Thinks of the power it takes to process a coin.... Someone pays for that extra cost.  The taxpayer...
Yes but coins last much, much longer than paper bills.  The lifespan of a dollar bill is on average 1.5 years.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Note whereas the lifespan of a coin is 25 years.  http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/

I even carry small change in my "expensive pocket" to help out the cashiers

Prior to retiring my last gig was 3 years as a cashier for Valero convenience stores and I can assure you it doesn't help. The cashier has a safe full of change and can make change for you many times faster than you can dig out the change and "help". When we were busy it was a pia for customers to try to "help". :) The "PREFERRED" method of payment is credit card or debit card - even for a $0.99 soda.

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom