Taking the load off the tires in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gasser

Ok, posting seems to have slowed down so I will pick a topic today.

Storing your home.  The heavy beast is sitting on those expensive tires for an extended period of time.  I know for cars, especially race cars with expensive race tires, we take the car off of them and put it on jack stands and wrap the tires up in plastic to help them last longer for the next season.

Do you guys/gals do any thing to help the tire longevity when storing these things.  Specifically like taking the weight off the tires when sitting for a long time?  Any problem with them getting out of round?  Flat spots etc...

Can you raise the coach with the leveling jacks to take weight off the tires when its being stored?

Let the discussons begin.

Signed:

Board ;D

This subject gets discussed at length on these RV discussion groups from time to time.

The best not to ever have to store, like many here who are fulltimers.

But I would say most raise the jacks in storage.  I have been storing for over 15 years. First I asked the HWH people and they said raise the jack up in storage and that is what I have been doing.

In my storage area there are lots of big RVs and most all raise the jacks.

At least doing this with the HWH jacks, I have not had any problem nor do I know of anyone who has.

As for flat spots, these RV tires are very substantial and I have never had a sign of a flat spot in the few times I have been parked and not used the jacks. In my son's driveway I have the front up but back on ground and have been there as long a three weeks and never felt any flat spots driving away.

I agree with Bob.
I might add, that I try to take the MH out for a 30 minute highway drive each month and exercise the generator while I'm doing this.

El Jeffe said:
I agree with Bob.
I might add, that I try to take the MH out for a 30 minute highway drive each month and exercise the generator while I'm doing this.

Good Idea as half the fun for me in having something like this is the toy factor as much as the traveling.  If I can't get away, I can pretend by taking a monthly drive around the loop. ;D

I am glad to see that the jacks are fine to leave down for extended periods of time.  I hope I don't have to leave mine for long as I really want to get out as often as possible but at 37 years old and working full time, its just hard to find the time. 

Jeff

I understood the problem with storing vehicles with the wheels down to be rot, not flat spots

Flat spots are usually caused by panic stops (locking the brakes).. I suspect you can see how.

I've flat spotted a few tires on occasion... When a bus pulled out in front of my brother and I (Brother says every word he spoke into the radio mic (we were chatting via cb) was very clearly enuncated, However for some reason I don't recall hearing them that way (Somethang about the ancestery of the driver of said bus)

The real problem is sunlight damage... Tires need to be "Exercised" from time to time or essential oils (just like you skin) which protect the surface (again like your skin) fail to rise to the surface and protect.  This causes something much like sunburn.  Again much like your skin.  The very best solution is DRIVE IT

Well, As far as flat spots are concerned, I know that was more of a problem when we are talking about bias ply tires such as large off road truck tires.  Steel belted tires are much more resistant to developing a flat spot or out of round tire from prolonged sitting.  Heck our 44 inch bias ply off road tires would get a flat spot overnight with a 7k pound truck sitting on them.  Just drive it and the flat spot would come out after everything got warmed up.

So keeping the jacks down, out of the sun and drive it from time to time and your tires will last their full life span of around 5 to 7 years where just for safety reasons the need to change them will come.

How about tire dressings?  I am a big believer in a clean and well presented toy weather it being a RV or a High end sports car.  I did read that you should avoid any silicone or petrolium based dressings as to not break down the side wall.  This is just FYI.  One of the dressings I use from Zano is a very good dressing and is silicone free.  It lasts a long time is not greasy and will not attract dirt like the armrall stuff can.  They make a great was as well.  The easiest I have ever used by far.... but that is a totally new topic for future discussions.  Good to revisit from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom