Storage solutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cly

Hi all,

Recently purchased a used 2003 Chinook Premier  ;D.  Would appreciate some feedback on storage solutions;  pods, racks etc.  What do you all use and where did you purchase them.  I don't live close to any large rv stores. 

For 2 people.  Plan on traveling several weeks at a time and taking bikes. 

Thanks for your time.

cly

It easy to get "sucked in" in buying everything in site that has the name "RV" on it.  What you need will depend on how you use the unit.  While I did buy some things like Corelle dishes and a set of pots & pans but there are some things I am borrowing from the house until I determine if I really need it in the trailer. 

If you have a receiver hitch, there are several manufacturers that make bike racks that fit right in the receiver and are capable of carring up to 4 bikes. These are available at most bicycle shops. If you have a ladder on the back of your rig, there are also models that attach there as well. Roof racks can be supplied by most auto parts suppliers, and WalMart, K=Mart, and Cosco to name a few.

Lee

I would not recommend spending a lot of money and use what you have for a trip or two. I found that I discovered better locations to place items after a couple of trips. That helped to determine some of my storage bins/baskets. I bought clear plastic baskets or bins for like items. Using 2 or 3 baskets instead of one large storage basket is also helpful.

I also use tension spring curtain rods to place in front of cabinets. I don't like it when something shifts during a ride down the road and you open a cabinet later and something falls out. We have a Roadtrek V and love it.

Yes, good idea to take a few trips before "improving" the storage situation.  We have discovered over time, as many people do, that less IS more. 

I have feet in two camps.  35' motorhome with great storage, and a VW Westfalia with decent (for the size) yet not enough storage.  I have a bike rack on a Yakima rack on the roof, plus a carrier basket that plugs into the 2" receiver.  You can quickly overload anything that you drive, so be careful.  As a friend of mine's tagline says 'Don't Overpack'

My use for the rear basket is the stuff I don't want inside, it has a 500 lb cap, but figure I won't have much more than 100 lbs.  Using lidded storage baslets, and bungee them down. 

I have seen your style with a molded pod on the back, a nicer more secure way to carry than mine, but the first 70 poubnds or so is the pod. 

We have a '04 21 foot Chinook Concourse.  We don't have the storage of a larger RV so we really have to plan out what we are bringing and finding items that multitask is essential.  Food storage has never been an issue, always grocery stores along the way.  We have a short thule pod on a roof rack.  It's great for light, bulky items, i.e. patio mat, light folding chairs, etc. Just resist the urge to over pack it.  It really does throw the stability off having too much weight up high, especially in heavy winds.  Ours has a 2" receiver on the front that will accept a bike rack.  Remember you've got an extra couple of feet in front of you when pulling into parking spots! 

Since the door on the Chinook is on the back, we've found it difficult to use anything that hooks up back there.  I borrowed a friends carrier basket for the rear trailer hitch and it didn't give us enough room to get in the door.  I've toyed with the idea of a very small utility trailer if we take our dream Alaska trip.  It would give us a huge amount of extra space for all those toys we love to bring and enough clearance to open the door.

We've had our 'Nookie for two years now and love it.  Two of us and three dogs make it tight during those inevitable rainy days but we manage.  It's a breeze to drive and can go just about anywhere.  We've hit some back country coastal roads in northern cal/west coast that would be impossible for a larger MH.  Funniest sight was we were parked at a hwy rest stop (rv parking), I walk out of the restroom and here is our baby 21' Chinook in the middle of 8 huge 40+ foot MH's (all with toads) that pulled in after us!  We all had a chuckle.  Of course, one had to ask, "What is it going to be when it grows up?"  :-\

Best idea is to go on a couple short shake down trips to get a handle on what works best for you.  Less is more and lighter is even better!

Back
Top Bottom