Need to beef up Flimsy Wheel Wells on Aliner Pop-up trailer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregScott

I've got an A-Liner popup up trailer. I love it. However, the wheel wells are under designed. I've hand 2 blowouts while towing, one on each side.
Each time, the damage to the wheel well was substantial. It's made from light sheet metal, fastened to the plywood floor of the trailer. Not only was the sheet metal damaged, but the wood flooring was also damaged to the rear of the wheel well. Both times! The first repair cost me a lot of money to have done. I haven't repaired the damage from the second blowout yet. If you own an aliner, you might want to consider beefing up the backside of the wheel well in particular.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive approach would be appreciated. I am thinking of using some diamond deck aluminum plate to armor the back portion of my wheel well. The main problem would be putting in neat bends. I don't have a sheet metal shop with a nice sheet metal brake. (metal bending tool).

As for bending sheet metal and aluminum, I've gone to welding shops or furnace dealers and for a few bucks they have been willing to bend metal to almost any shape I've needed.

By all means, beef up the wheel wells, then address the reason for the blowouts.

We had a similar problem with our pop-up years ago.  After 4 on the road blowouts, we switched to similar size radial tires and never had another problem.  Someone suggested that our U-shaped axle (side to side) might indicate an overload problem, but DW insisted everything in the pop-up was vital to our trip. ;)

Back
Top Bottom