Wifi Weather Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc L

Hi,

I want to bring my standalone weather station camping (rain, wind, temp, pressure, wind chill) camping.  So I will want a replacement for my stick house.  I'd like to get a model with all the features of my old one, but that also has wifi built-in.  I've seen some that you keep connected to a PC, but I don't want that.  I have a laptop on the move all the time and no old desktop. 

My friend has a webcam/security cam that has built-in wifi and uploads content automatically to a web site.  I'm basically looking for a self contained weather station that does the same without the need to connect it to a PC.  Anybody aware of such a beast?  I've looked a bit online, but have not found one yet.

Marc...

Take a look here for some possibilities.  I just did a Google search on weather station wifi and this and others turned up.

Wow, those ain't cheap. I can get an 80$ cam wifi capable, but a weather station like my LaCrosse is 80$. You'd think it would not cost an extra 400$ to add wifi.

I realize the more expensive ones are more accurate, but judging by the weather forecasts, accuracy is not that important.

If you want a cheap and simple means for weather forecasting, try a Weather Rock:

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.

I always knew that Ned had a great sense of humor.  Welcome to the club, Ned.

If the rock is missing, a pet rock collector from the 60's probably lives near you.

Carson

Stand by the rock with your smartphone and tweet your findings.

On a serious note, looks like what I want is just a niche market, therefore not cheap.  Looks like it's much cheaper to get a dedicated Linux server with a cheap weather station with an RS-232 port.  Something to think about over the winter. I also want a media server hooked up to the TV. if I get one, I could use that.

Smartphones have WiFi too :)

A cheap Linux box would do it, if the weather station has supporting software that runs on it.  Convenience doesn't come cheap.

Oh, Ned, that was priceless. Thanks for the laugh. I think I'll go out in the yard and see if I can find a weather rock.

Wendy

Be sure to hang it in the clear so you get accurate readings.

Ned said:
Stand by the rock with your smartphone and tweet your findings.
Come to think of it, that would not work.  The whole reason to have a wifi weather station is so I can check what it's like home when I'm not there.  And I'd do that using my smartphone.

Hire a neighbor kid to check the rock every hour and he can tweet it or send you an SMS.  If he's got a camera in the phone, have him include a photo.

Better solution is to get a WiFi webcam and point it at the rock.

"If you want a cheap and simple means for weather forecasting, try a Weather Rock:"

;D    ;D    ;D    ;D  LOL!!

Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom