Wifi Weather Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
You have a problem with fish ?? Fish is good, Beef and Pork are bad.

Wendy

So you eat the fish, Ned will handle the pork and beef. ::)

Marc:

Check with John Canfield.  I think he has a weather station set up like you are looking for.

Why not load WeatherBug on to your smart phone. The free download you can change your location settings. The download you pay for you can have multi locations.

My IGoogle home page has weather on it.  I can add or delete locations.  I watch weather at home, where the grand kids are and on the island of Kauai where we have spent winter before.  It is pretty accurate for current conditions.  Easier to find than a dependable Weather Rock.  I keep finding "Sex Stones" instead of Weather Rocks.

I already have a weather app on my phone setup for 6 different cities, but I want more.  In this area, weather stations used by weather services are normally located at airports, so I only get the conditions from the nearest airport, and it's not real time.  They only update every couple of hours or so.

Here are my requirements:
  • keep historical data (the one I have now keeps 30 days)
  • have weather info from my house, not the airport 10 miles away (I have that when I am home, not when I'm away from home)
  • ability to view the data using PC (don't have it now)
  • ability to check the current conditions and history at my house remotely (don't have it now)
So far, I have seen lots of weather stations with a PC/USB interface starting at 100$, but none with a Wifi interface.

I like weather and I love gadgets, the latter is probably what's driving all this.

I have an Oregon Scientific weather station that's been OK.  I had it hooked to a computer for a couple years until a Thunderstorm came along and lightening hit the wifi dish on the roof.  Cooked the computer and many of the electrical stuff that was plugged in at the time.  Now I unplug the computer from the dish and turn it off whenever there is a storm or we're not home.  Lots of lightening in TX

The weather station lived through the strike and is still operating. ;D

Ned,

Thanks for sharing the Weather Rock list.  I was telling my grandsons about the Weather Rock when we were camping over the summer but I couldn't remember all of the conditions.  Maybe I can get one ready for next year. 

Mike Wagner

Mike, it would make a nice camping project for the grandsons.  Tell them it's ROCKet science :D

Marc,

I have a Davis Vantage Pro weather station. It is wireless from the outside unit to the inside monitor. There is a data logger (purchased separately from weather station) that plugs into the back of the monitor that plugs into my DSL router. No computer required. This uploads data to Davis' server. Here is my station. You can download data from their server to your computer when ever you want.

Also check with Terry Brewer. He has two stations. One at their home in Yuma and one that he keeps with him on the MH.

Thanks Don, that's exactly what I was looking for.  I'll look into it.  DW asked me today what I wanted for my upcoming birthday :)

I checked it out, the interface to upload online without a PC is the same price as a mini desktop.  I've been looking into getting a mini desktop as a media center, so that looks like the most cost effective solution for now, that way I get both a PC and weather upload capability.

Just to add a bit here. The Northglenn Costco (north side of Denver -- web shows many others do, too) had (has??) a La Crosse station on sale for about $79, a unit that the La Crosse web page shows for $299. It's the La Crosse WS-2813U-IT, which includes wind, rain, temp, humidity, etc.  and sends all its data to a PC, if you wish. I've had mine for a week or so, now, and am very pleased. Do note the first one I got I had to take back, as the main display never received any data, but the second one is working well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom