A general aviation protocol question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I live uphill (3 miles--flightpath) from a small G/A airport. Mostly private planes with a lot of flight training going on by folks getting their licenses from all over the World. (No, the terrorists of 9/11 did not train here).

The runway was recently extended to handle small business jets and that traffic is sporadic.

Being a Radio Nut, I listen on the AP frequency often (122.725 MHz )

I hear pilots calling the tower explaining where they are, what their intentions are for landing, etc.

Seems like the tower rarely answers to acknowledge the transmission. I am not a pilot and wonder what that means.  If no answer....all ok? or haven't they heard the incoming pilot? This AP is obviously visual flight rules only.

What is the protocol?

Listening to the transmission is like listening to grass grow.  ;D unless someone declares they are coming in to land without power.

Carson FL 

The frequency you are tuned into is a unicom frequent.  Like channel 19 on CB.  pilots trans and receive on that frequent to announce their intentions. Location, alt, etc.

Unless the person on ground FBO fixed base operator is monitoring the pilot will have to get info from nearest flight service station AFSS.  INFO wind direction (Runway to use land into wind) and altimeter.

Jim W

Carson

This is know as an uncontrolled airport.  No tower or controllers. See and be seen

Jim W

Name of airport?

Check this http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCGC this will give you more info.

Jim W

KCGC is the four letter identifier like KJAX for Jacksonville airport

Thanks again, Tin man...  In my quest for more knowledge I had already pulled up the KCGC site. Am listening to Jacksonville 118.6 MhZ right now.  It is labelled for approach and departure... Very quiet.. Heard a tx but was out of the room at the time.  Is that freq. specifically for nearby airports?  Certainly not Jacksonville main freq. Should be busy.

Guess I could research Jacksonville and find out what they are all about. Should be able to hear them from 150+ miles away. ?? 

Carson FL

Unless you are a few miles from JAX Center, you will not hear them line of site, but you should her acft at altitude.

Sometimes there will be a relay site, and that will get you approach.

Jim

You are right Jim, I cannot hear JAX tower, but certainly hear flights aloft from my location on 118.6 MhZ.

I should've known. Ham radio Op since 1958. Just have a 5/8 wave vertical on my roof. Did have a contact with a ham repeater in St. Augustine...quite a distance.

Enjoying this thread..

Carson

Carson:

I assume your ham radio operates on UHF or low freq? All CONUS aviation frequencies are line-of-sight VHF.

Carson,

You can also hear the automated weather that pilots will get from Crystal River at 118.325 or you can call the number (352-563-6600) listed in the chart to hear what they are getting. That weather is delivered to them from an automated system located on field and was one of the best features ever delivered by the FAA in my experience.

You may also hear pilots on the advisory freq, 122.725, calling either Crystal River, or Inverness, just east, since they share that frequency.

You will hear some interesting radio traffic if you have a lot of students in the area, especially when they get excited. Don't expect them to always know exactly where they are! Good times!

Jeff, actually my radio works on VHF (AM/FM) from 118.000 MHZ to 174.000 MhZ.  (AM/FM automatically selected)

Just a little ICOM IC-220 Ham radio) TX/RX on bands allowed.

Carson

carson said:
Listening to the transmission is like listening to grass grow.  ;D unless someone declares they are coming in to land without power.
Somewhere on Youtube is a audio clip of the airport transmissions from a small airplane which lost most power shortly after takeoff.  He has enough power to get him to a nearby runway and successfully lands.    Turns out the mechanic forgot to tighten the clamps on turbo hoses.

But I can't find the audio.  It was about 16 minutes long as I recall.  Pilot sounded quite calm during the whole event but I'm sure his knees were shaky after the landing.

Searching brought me to this one. The comments are hilarious.
What a TEAT!
He was flying in the wrong field, he was meant to be flying in the UDDER one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk4ywD_yyM
Edit: Fixed several tags.

Thanks, Tony.  Made my day.... ;D

I heard that the cow was udderly amazed...but survived. Is that true? Probably did not listen to the tower frequency beforehand.

Carson

Flying is 90% bordom and 10% panic.

Landing is nothing but a controlled crash.

Bury power lines not pilots.

I'm from the FAA I am here to help.

Thanks Jim,  lol.... what is a good remedy for stopping giggling.

Probably need some oxygen after all...live at 100' altitude.

Carson

[quote author=carson]Probably need some oxygen after all...live at 100' altitude.[/quote]

Wow Carson, you live in the high country. We live at 5 feet elevation.

Tom, yes, it is hard to breathe way up here in Florida. If I need compression/decompression I just drive downhill for 3 miles to our airport.... Elevation 9'. But we have clean air up here.  ;D Has been flooded a few times in the past.

Carson FL

I have the LIVE ATC app for my iphone.  They may offer it on Androids if you don't have an Apple.  It has KJAX along with most of the towers for controlled airports in the US and many other countries.  We listen it sometimes to hear our Son's Flights.  He's an airline captain and its kind of fun to hear his plane.  It's generally not him, its the first officer, but it's still interesting to listen.

Back
Top Bottom