A Reason to Avoid I-95 in Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV Roamer said:
I95 in Maine is also a toll road. Ditto for New Hampshire.  Also I76 in PA ,

To be fair, I76 in PA is (mostly) the Pennsylvania Turnpike which was built as a toll road long before the Interstate Highway System.  They just gave it an Interstate number & made it part of the Interstate system.

Mike Wagner

Tin man said:
Just went through the Ohio turnpike toll booth last Thursday, and moved my mirror back to where I could not use it.  Toll booth is narrow, I learned you have to go all the way to your right.

Live and learn.  My class C made it years ago.  Welcome to Ohio.

I discovered a couple years ago that taking US 30 is a MUCH better ride than the Ohio Turnpike.  Going west, take I-80 to Youngstown, then I-71 to Mansfield to pick up 30.  You can run 60-65 on most of 30, fuel is cheaper, the road is iun better shape (parts of 80 are truly horrible), and NO TOLLS!

Jeff,

>>hence my question on where the fed fuel tax was going.<<

The Federal tax on fuel hasn't changed since 1993. It can't keep up with current road costs. States have higher fuel taxes, but much of it doesn't go to road maintenance.

We either need higher fuel taxes that actually go to road maintenance or tolls if we want our roads kept up. I would prefer taxes, but our politicians can't seem to keep their hand off. Heck in AZ they even raided donations that were given to the state parks 

I ran from Youngstown to about Chicago (destination was near Des Moines)...follow US30 far enough, I think you'll be in Reno.

Jarlaxle said:
I ran from Youngstown to about Chicago (destination was near Des Moines)...follow US30 far enough, I think you'll be in Reno.

I think you'll find that route US30 will take you to Oregon rather than Nevada.

Best advice I can give is  NEVER,  N E V E R  drive on a toll road.  I own a portion of the NY state thruway which now costs more to maintain t than it did to build it.  I also own the bridge in Maryland the goes over cheasapeake bay, I am still waiting for my title.

I cannot imagine toll booths installed and the traffic jams that will cause.

When WA state added tolls to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, they built the toll plaza off to one side of the freeway.  You have to actually exit the freeway and go about 1/2 mile down a gradually widening frontage road that doubles as a holding lot for the toll plaza lines during commute hours.

Meanwhile, cars with EZ-Pass breeze past on the freeway unimpeded through the sensors and cameras.

I thought it was an interesting psychological ploy to encourage people to get the EZ-Pass.

Daughter and military husband being transfered back to Virgina Beach this summer. I hate the route getting there from Michigan. Is there a better way?

Scott  :)

Lou,

They build many of them in the Orlando area the same way. They must have made money doing it as they are now adding and additional one on the 528!!!

This is an RV forum, but since this thread has several obvious, and some not so obvious, personal opinions on turning I-95 into a toll road, I will add my two cents worth - which will not get you very far on a toll road.

My native state is VA, but I moved away many moons ago and will never return because I doubt that the political leadership will ever display any fiscal management skills that would be beneficial to those who pay the bills for the state. That includes both parties.

It's not as convenient as an interstate and perhaps the "long way" around, but if I am every traveling North to South in VA, I always used Highway 29 for the northern half of my journey thru the state. When I get to
Lynchburg I can make the decision to continue toward I-81 or I-95.

Highway 29 arguably is one of the more scenic routes in VA. If the goal of RVing is to stop and smell the roses, then that route will give plenty of opportunity to do so.

Ken & Sheila said:
Jeff,

>>hence my question on where the fed fuel tax was going.<<

The Federal tax on fuel hasn't changed since 1993. It can't keep up with current road costs. States have higher fuel taxes, but much of it doesn't go to road maintenance.

We either need higher fuel taxes that actually go to road maintenance or tolls if we want our roads kept up. I would prefer taxes, but our politicians can't seem to keep their hand off. Heck in AZ they even raided donations that were given to the state parks

+1

We have had, in Minnesota, the spectacle of gasoline taxes, motor vehicle sales taxes, and motor vehicle license renewal taxes, used to pay for human services and K-12 schools.  Beyond that there is a constitutional formula dating to the 1920s that requires most of the gas tax money to be distributed more or less equally to the various counties, giving us overfunded highway departments in rural counties while the metro area interstate system crumbles.  The sales taxes and license renewals for the first 5 years for a new car or truck work out to over 10% of the purchase price and little of it goes to roads.

I'm looking for tolls to pay for the new Vikings stadium.

The success of iPass, EZpass, and other automated toll-collection systems, that don't require mainline tollbooths, has eliminated much of the safety and hassle associated with tolls and is, IMO, a major driver of the interest in expanding them.

While it may be true that the increases in MPG in the cars that use the roads has resulted in an effective decrease in the gasoline-based tax revenue on a per car basis, part of the problem is that the money generated from gasoline taxes is often robbed for uses other than roads and bridges.  This was not always the case like it is today.  Like Social Security, the revenues from the fuel taxes are collected under the guise that they will be reserved for a certain purpose but in fact, they go into the general fund and at that point, they seem to be considered fair game.

For this reason, while the streams of revenue for roads has continued, the money allotted to the improvement and manintenance of the highway infrastructure has lagged, especially with the economy being in such a poor state and the fact that many other government programs were expanded when times are good and there seems to be a reluctance to scale back on such things when times are tight while they seem to be fine with cutting funding for infrastructure during these lean times.

Also, it used to be that the funding of toll roads was separate from funding for non-toll roads in that toll roads had to be self sufficent in that they did not receive any tax revenue.  However, that is no longer the case and they play so many shell games with the funding that it is difficult to say where the money comes from.  It may be that for the reasons stated above, they do not want people to know where the money comes from or  where it gets spent.

Back
Top Bottom