Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the wood duck is tied with the Mandarin duck for most beautiful.  The male (Picture 15) is awesome, and the female is pretty for a girl bird (Picture 16).  In the same pond area was this beautiful bird with interesting coloring (Picture 17).  White-faced whistling ducks were everywhere (Picture 18).

We?ve seen lots of raccoons over the years, but we?ve never seen them in a tree before (Picture 19).

As we walked to the next exhibit, I spotted a wild black-crowned night heron overhead. (Picture 20)  He?s supposedly common, but I?ve never seen one before.

Isn?t the Maguari stork from South America beautiful? (Picture 21)  He uses his long beak to hunt rodents, toads, insects, SNAKES, fish, and other small animals.
                                                                    CONTINUED

Attachments

• IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7047.jpg
    IMG_7047.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7106.jpg
    IMG_7106.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7058.jpg
    IMG_7058.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 11
We?ve seen anteaters, but never before have we seen the Giant Anteater. (Picture 22) His 2-foot-long tongue has tiny backwards-pointing spines.  He has a special gummy saliva which makes a sticky trap for ants and termites.  He can flick that tongue 150 times per minute, and he eats 30,000 ants a day.

The St. Vincent agouti (Picture 23) was new to me, also.  He is a rodent whose range if from Mexico to Argentina.  He has such strong jaws that he can open a brazil nut with his teeth.

I thought the next animal was a llama, but he wasn?t.  He is a guanaco, a wild South American cousin of the domestic llama.  He eats the outer skin of CACTUS, and his water is the dew that accumulates on the cactus.

I don?t usually think of vultures as beautiful, but the King Vulture is gorgeous (Picture 25).

I have been looking for ducks all trip long, and I ended my day with lots of ducks, especially the fulvous whistling duck (Picture 26).  The big beautiful blue bird was a perfect ending for a wonderful day at a zoo named after a famous ?birder? and artist.

Can you believe that I eliminated 85% of the pictures we took?  That says it all.  We both had an amazing day!

Staying at Jude Travel Camp ? 50 amps, FHU, WiFi, cable, no atmosphere, total $35.

Attachments

• IMG_7085.jpg
    IMG_7085.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7093.jpg
    IMG_7093.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7099.jpg
    IMG_7099.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7102.jpg
    IMG_7102.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7111.jpg
    IMG_7111.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 12
It takes a lot of time to share these well written synopses with us as well as posting all the beautiful pictures.  Thanks so much!  :-*

Margi

Love the critter pictures. Many of the birds remind me of our time in Florida. I guess we need to make a Florida trip some winter so I can get my bird fix. Or maybe I'll just keep looking at your pictures :)  We haven't been to a zoo in years. Maybe I'll have to add the San Diego Zoo to our list of things to do when we're there in February.

Wendy

Wonderful photos!  And some are critters I've never even heard of before so that makes them all the more special.  Thanks!

ArdraF

Tom and Margi said:
It takes a lot of time to share these well written synopses with us as well as posting all the beautiful pictures.  Thanks so much!  :-*

Margi

Thanks.  I feel so fortunate to be able to see these wonderful animals, and it's fun to share the things we learn.

Wendy said:
Love the critter pictures. Many of the birds remind me of our time in Florida. I guess we need to make a Florida trip some winter so I can get my bird fix. Or maybe I'll just keep looking at your pictures :)  We haven't been to a zoo in years. Maybe I'll have to add the San Diego Zoo to our list of things to do when we're there in February.

Wendy

I'd love to schedule a Florida trip that coincides with yours so we could meet up from time to time.  You know so much more than I do, and I love it when I can ask someone and they verify that I have labelled the bird correctly. 

Yes, yes, go to the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park, now renamed San Diego Safari Park.  We have annual passes and can get you in for free with the extra tickets they gave us.  Give us a call and we'll coordinate.

November 5, 2011 Day 46 Baton Rouge

The whole reason we stopped at Baton Rouge this time was to see the Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center.  It is an absolutely beautiful, large wooded area with 3 boardwalk trails.  Lots of money was put into its development and building a gorgeous visitors center.  The exhibits inside are numerous and interesting?baby alligators, a copperhead, a cottonmouth, and more.  The admission was only  $2.50.  That?s the good.

Now, the bad.  When we entered, the lady who took our money was reading a book (and, to be fair, it looked like a textbook), but she gave us only a map and didn?t volunteer any information beyond ?yes? and ?no? to our questions.  The map she gave us had 3 named trails, but those names were nowhere on the trail signs, which had completely different names.  Dean politely told her about the name confusion, but she really wasn?t interested.  Many of the exhibits had no signs.  Could the admission lady have been working on making a new map or labeling the exhibits?  The swamp had no water, was totally bone dry, and the only animal we saw was one lizard.  This whole center reminded me or a diamond in the rough.

We went to the United Artist movie and saw ?Tower Heist?, which we enjoyed.

Stayed at Baton Rouge?s Walmart.

Attachments

• IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7112.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 8
November 6, 2011 Day 47 Lafayette, LA

After striking out yesterday, I held my breath on my choices for today?The Acadian Cultural Center and Vermillion Village.  Today I hit a triple.

Acadians are people of French heritage who were evicted from Nova Scotia when they refused to swear allegiance to England.

The Vermillion Village (admission of $8) is a recreated 1800-1890 Acadian village with about 17 real buildings that have been moved there.  One of two exceptions is this replica of a single family palmetto home (Picture 1) that was common during the 1840s.  Native Americans often got rid of mosquitoes, spiders, and other pests by lighting a small fire inside the house.  The smoke forced the insects away, and with no smokehole or chimney, I would think it would almost chase the inhabitants away, too.  Raised mats served as beds and benches.  They would be higher than a flea could jump.  They made the walls from river cane.  They were big on bousillage?a combination of Spanish moss and mud?which they used for clay ovens and later homes.

They had a great scientific explanation of the water cycle and how the waters flow and are exchanged in the swamp in the Watershed Exhibition.  They had interactive exhibits which showed the role water plays in our lives.

At the Performance Center, a Zydeco band was playing.  As many people from the audience danced, a band composed of a guitar, fiddle, accordian, and  a real washboard played.  (Picture 2) Vermillionville was created by the Bayou Vermillion District to preserve their natural and cultural resources.  We heard many people speaking French, and I think they probably were Acadians.

We learned that the restaurant, which was a plantation overseer?s house, was going to close at 2:00, so we had lunch.  Dean had a po? boy, and I had etouffe and shrimp.  It was good.

In the 1890s schoolhouse, we saw the lines, ?I will not speak French in school,? on the blackboard.  Louisiana law forbade the speaking of French, even on the playground. 

The chapel was recreated based on the Catholic Churches in the area around 1760.  Catholicism was the only religion legally allowed before the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.  Acadians loved their religion and priests visited infrequently, so the Acadians had prayer services led by laymen.  Slaves practiced the religion of their masters. 

Outside a home from 1790, we found this intriguing washing machine, which was operated by a foot pedal. (Picture 3) Hanging on the side is the agitator.  One of the fun aspects of this visit was trying to figure out how they did things by putting together the visual clues and talking about it together.  Dean would see something, then I would, and then Dean with his mechanical knowledge would come up with how it was probably used.

We met a 5th generation craftswoman (Picture 4) who was making a basket from pine needles.  She was a real hoot to talk with, and she shared some of her family?s history.  I couldn?t believe that she is 52 years old.  She is allergic to the sun, so she always was kept inside or totally shaded to huge hats.  She has no wrinkles at all.  She told us about her spoon dolls (which doubled as paddles when her children misbehaved), cornhusk dolls, ragdolls, and her baskets. (Picture 5)

Their plants and trees were true to history and well-described in the informational pamphlet we were given at the entrance.  At 2 or 3 spots, we used our cellphone to access more information that they had pre-recorded.

We then scurried next door to the Jean Lafitte National Park Acadian Cultural Center for their 30-minute historical film.  They had many pictures that showed the various aspects of their culture?food, music, occupations, homes, religion, community, and entertainment.  It was very well explained, and the rangers were helpful with answers.  These two sites really take about 6 hours, and we only had about 5 hours. 

Tomorrow we are off to Beaumont, Texas,  to try to find migratory birds.

Stayed at Lafayette?s Walmart

Attachments

• IMG_7118.jpg
    IMG_7118.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7123.jpg
    IMG_7123.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7124.jpg
    IMG_7124.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7125.jpg
    IMG_7125.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7126.jpg
    IMG_7126.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18
November 7, 2011 Day 48 Tomboll, TX (outside Houston)

We drove 30 miles north of I-10 to get to the Big Thicket National Preserve, which has a lovely visitor center and great rangers.  I had talked with them ahead of time about everything except MOSQUITOES.  When we were here in Spring, 2010, we thought it was a wonderful site, and I verified that spring migrants had already arrived.  However, because I am so allergic to insect bites, I bought a fan thing that fits on your belt and repels flying critters.  I was going to wear it as a pre-caution, but we couldn?t find it anywhere.  I asked at the VC about buying another one or repellant, and they had none. 
At that point, the ranger mentioned the abundance of mosquitoes currently. I didn?t want to miss out on anything, and we decided to head out anyway.  We had to detach the Jeep, as the two HC-accessible trails were a few miles away.  As Dean unhooked, I tore apart the Jeep looking for the insect repellant.  The temp was a mild 79?, but humidity was over 80%, and I started sweating.  The mosquitoes found me before we had even left for the trails.  At that point, I changed my mind.  Dean is such a great guy.  He didn?t even say anything about all the work he had to re-do to re-attach. This was a 60-mile detour for nothing.

I immediately tried to get a RV park reservation in Houston, about 150  miles away.  I had notes from our 2010 trip to get reservations ahead of time.  The Space Center RV Park is so congested just to drive through it is a major challenge, and I had marked it as NEVER stay there.  We have stayed at the Fairgrounds twice before, and it is right-priced, has all the bells and whistles, and no vacancies until FEBRUARY.  So, we chose the park nearest our destination tomorrow, but it was 30 miles north of the freeway.  I hope the Sheldon Lake State Park, which I have marked as being outstanding, is nearby, as the ranger told me.

Staying at Corral RV Park,  $53.91/2 nights with Good Sam discount, FHU, 50 amp pull-thru, nice managers

November 8, 2011 Day 49 Tomboll, TX (outside Houston)

We came to Tomboll specifically to go to Sheldon Lake State Park, but we got washed out with showers on and off all day.  Sometimes it really poured, and it seemed to cycle through every 30 minutes.

We went to the Apple Store and found out why my phone has been doing weird things.  We found our first Costco in 3 states and bought blueberries, which haven?t been available in the grocery stores, and lots of items we?ve been unable to find.  In New Orleans, most of the grocery stores are little corner groceries. 

We then went to Willowbrook?s AMC 24 theatre and saw ?In Time,? which was good.

Mosquitoes, rain, I guess that on this trip I?m just not going to see a lot of wildlife.

Staying at Corral RV Park,  $53.91/2 nights with Good Sam discount, FHU, 50 amp pull-thru, nice managers

We aren't home right now but you aren't far from us.  We live within a few miles of the Woodlands.  They have a new RV park on our road, its small but looks pretty nice.  I haven't priced it, its called the Sleepy Hollow RV park and its off I 45 north of Spring.  You drive through an area that doesn't look so nice but its safe and later it turns into nicer houses.  It's near White Oak Estates.

You want to see a nice mall and a pretty area, go to the Woodlands.  They have great restaurants, boats you can ride, they don't go to far but its still neat.  There is Market Street that is getting some high dollar shops.  At Christmas its decorated beautifully.  There is a grocery/lunch type market that has delicious food, expensive yes, but excellent food. There are theaters, a pavillion that has live concerts, just lots of places around there.  It's just a nice area to visit.

I love your pictures, for some reason my chip for my camera doesn't fit this computer, it and the computer are pretty new so seems odd they are not compatible.  Sad to say I have been to some of the places you are going and haven't seen those sights, I need to be more diligent in researching what is where.

November 10, 2011 Day 51 El Paso, TX

We traveled 500 easy miles through boring country on good roads.  Tonight we are planning adventures on New Mexico and Arizona.

Staying at Walmart

PatrioticStabilist said:
I love your pictures, for some reason my chip for my camera doesn't fit this computer, it and the computer are pretty new so seems odd they are not compatible.  Sad to say I have been to some of the places you are going and haven't seen those sights, I need to be more diligent in researching what is where.

Thanks, Dean really works hard to get good pictures, long after I would have given up.  I've been accumulating folders on each state for about 25 years, based on articles in Audubon's member magazine, AAA Travel Magazine, Better Homes and Gardens, the travel section of the newspaper and my most important source is RVForumers.  Before I go anywhere, I ask Forumers for their recommendations, and they are by far my most prolific source of good info.  I ask for what to see, where to stay, and also for negative experiences, and I am sure they have saved me from unpleasantries.  Then I look at the AAA Tour book and see what they have to say.  As we go down the highway, I look on tripadvisor on my I-phone.  They rank all of the attractions in the city, and you can read what people have written.  They also have restaurants, theatres, and more.

Dean and I have split up the pink and blue jobs.  I use those little rectangular post-its and I put them all over the state.  Each color--light pink--hot pink--green--orange--yellow--notes how much I want to see that site.  Hot pink is highest--a MUST SEE, yellow is usually just a cafe someone recommended or an RV park.  Then Dean and I together connect the dots (Post-Its)--I'm looking for getting to where I want to go, and he's looking to avoid dirt roads, tiny rural roads, etc.  I try to do it at home before we go, and we modify as we go because Forumers often tell me more as I go along. If we like something a lot or discover something, we stay longer.  If it doesn't meet our expectations or prolonged bad weather comes, we leave. On this trip, the flooding in Iowa completely changed our itinerary, and I had to do trip planning on the fly--NOT FUN!  We are doing New Mexico and Arizona tonight right after I finish this.

Hope this helps.  I have promised Dean an I-Pad when the new ones come out--it will be his birthday and Xmas gift (and, depending on which one he chooses, it may be next year's gifts also), and I know he will enjoy it.  However, I can see real potential for it helping me in mapping. 

November 11, 2011 Day 52 Willcox, AZ

We traveled about 300 easy miles on I-10.  I wish we had filled our tank before we left Texas.  Diesel in New Mexico and Arizona is $3.97/gallon, about 30 cents more than we paid in Texas. 

There wasn?t anything in New Mexico close enough to I-10 to be of interest, but I did find an awesome-sounding museum/rock shop in Deming.  It has an outstanding reputation with my friends who are rockhounds.  When I talked with friends, they said that they hoped it was still in business, as a lot of rock shops have folded.  The phone was disconnected?a bad sign.  Unfortunately, today at lunch I discovered it?s out of business as is the Rocks State Park (at least their phone number has been disconnected, too).  We had a good lunch in Deming at La Fonda Mexican Restaurant, which had great curbside parking for our RV & Jeep.  We saw a funny sign outside KFC, ?ORDER YOUR THANKSGIVING TURKEY EARLY.?  Do they fry turkeys now?  Do they use the same spices?

Last night I discovered this little town of Willcox.  I have high hopes for lots of fun here; we?ll see if it lives up to its promises of lots of different birds and nesting sandhill cranes  Sherlock loves it here.  Next to our rig are two bushes, and birds fly about frequently.

Staying at Fort Wilcox RV Park?50 amps, FHU, cable, WiFi in the office (I think), $37.40/2 nights with Passport America, no maximum number of nights, quail running around at the back of the property.  John, the manager, gave me a ton of literature about places to go here, as well as specific oral directions.

We aren't far behind you, in Ft Stockton tonight.  But we are headed to Vegas.  Yes, some of this is easy driving and you are right a lot of the same but still some neat sites.

I hope to make some good distance tomorrow so need to hit the sack.

Linda and Carolyn,

The last western-most exit on I-10 in New Mexico is at the Steins ghost town.  When the railroads switched from steam to diesel it literally closed overnight.  It was privately owned so everything was left pretty much "as is" - clothing, cooking utensils, everything - until bought by a person who has turned it into a museum.  When we stopped there, they had a big parking area where you could boondock overnight.

Oh, heck.  I just Googled Steins and found out it has been closed permanently.  Too bad.  :(

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom