EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks  (Read 36604 times)

ArdraF

• ---
Re: Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Great story about Red!

Linda, I was looking at the Oct. 2011 issue of Family Motor Coaching and on p. 45 is an article "A Home for Big Cats."  It's the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Eureka Springs, Arkansas right on the MO border in northwest Arkansas.  You'd love it!  They have about 118 large cats on 70 acres in the middle of the Ozarks.  Their mission is to rescue and provide a permanent home to neglected, abused, and abandoned exotic cats.  They have a cart tour available for handicapped.  They also have a small onsite campground for RVs with 20-amp, water, sewage, picnic tables, and fire rings.  www.turpentinecreek.org

ArdraF
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:21:02 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
There are lots of deserving orphan doggies in pounds all over the country. Bet you could find Sherlock a nice hairy friend....maybe even another cat !

Wendy
Farmington NM, FMCA Rocky Mountain Ramble

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
Great story about Red!

Linda, I was looking at the Oct. 2011 issue of Family Motor Coaching and on p. 45 is an article "A Home for Big Cats."  It's the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Eureka Springs, Arkansas right on the MO border in northwest Arkansas.  You'd love it!  They have about 118 large cats on 70 acres in the middle of the Ozarks.  Their mission is to rescue and provide a permanent home to neglected, abused, and abandoned exotic cats.  They have a cart tour available for handicapped.  They also have a small onsite campground for RVs with 20-amp, water, sewage, picnic tables, and fire rings.  www.turpentinecreek.org

ArdraF

Thanks so much.  Your timing is incredible!  I was just telling Dean as we drove home tonight that we need to get serious about re-planning this trip.  I am thinking Gulf and Texas, maybe.  I want to see wildlife.  We are in trees, but I am seeing no birds--not even bluebirds, which are supposed to be year-round here.  Not even squirrels!  We have put out mini-melons, suet, seed, and no one comes.  So, wildlife in nearby Arkansas, even in a rescue setting, really appeals.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
There are lots of deserving orphan doggies in pounds all over the country. Bet you could find Sherlock a nice hairy friend....maybe even another cat !

Wendy

I am really not a dog person; that's why I was so surprised at the magnetic draw I felt toward Red.  I would have been very willing to clean up her poop--which is one of the main reasons i don't want a dog.  All of our animals have found us, and we have kept them after doing everything we could think of, or have been rescue cats from the pound.  But, one is enough.  We don't have any "accidents" or problems, and I don't want to screw up a good thing by introducing another kitty.

What are you doing in NM?  Is that an FMCA rally?
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
Need to check out the caveman BBQ Outside of Richland, Mo. I44 to highway 133 north watch for signs. You will eat in a live cave. Very nice place over looking to river below.
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
What are you doing in NM?  Is that an FMCA rally?

Rocky Mountain Ramble, the Rocky Mountain region FMCA rally. Having a great time. Saw a lot of birds yesterday at Bolack Museum. No animals other than dead skunks.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
October 11, 2011   Day 21      Lebanon, MO

We went up to the Bennett Spring Visitor & Nature Center at 10:00, and we found it closed.  Painters were painting the outside, and they said they had expected the lady with the key to come because they were supposed to paint the inside also.  They have a wonderful fish hatchery,  and the fisherpeople were having a good time.

We moved over to Happy Trails because it is so much closer to our friends’ home.  It is also a nice, scenic park, and it has a lake.

We agreed to meet our friends in Springfield to see the Wonders of Wildlife Museum & Aquarium.  I had looked it up on the computer and learned that this was funded and founded by the owner of Pro Bass Shops.  When we got there, we saw an enormous Pro Bass Shop, a Tracker store (sells boats), and a gigantic construction site.  They are “remodeling”, but if you choose to come, call ahead and make sure it’s completed.

So we made lemonade.  We went into the Pro Bass store and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Dean bought comfortable sandals ($40), I got a disaster radio that I’ve been wanting, and a new, better birdfeeder.  We had a really good time just shopping, and all 6 of us bought enough that we all needed shopping carts.  We had fun.

All this shopping made us hungry, so we headed to Lambert’s, a true Southern restaurant.  They are famous for their “throwed rolls”, and the thrower is a great pitcher.  He can hit your hand from 3 rows of booths away.  I consider that a kind of gimmick, but the food was no joke.  The rolls were the best I’ve ever tasted!  I am not a bread lover, and I ate two halves.  They also have a girl coming around with  a sorghum syrup that is wonderful.  We ate fried apples, Chicken fried steak, pork chops (4 different preparations), barbecued ribs, catfish, and pulled pork.  You choose 2 side dishes from a list of 15-20 choices.  Our friend asked if the green beans were canned.  The waitress said, “No,” and they were canned.  I think that is the only thing that wasn’t fresh. The yams were super sugary.   There are waiters circulating through the room constantly bringing you rolls, macaroni and tomatoes (too sweet), fried potatoes and onions, black-eyed peas, and good fried okra.  Portions were huge—we all left with enough for another meal.  I left with my whole rack of ribs.  Prices were very reasonable.  The total bill for 6 people was $104 + tip.  We were there early (a little before 5), and when we left at 6:00, the line was along two very long benches, and out the door—and this was a weeknight.

Tomorrow we go to a Jeep-drawn tram tour of  Majestic Cave.

We got home early enough to do trip planning, and we have decided to head to Arkansas, Louisiana, and if time, Texas.  We have a pretty extensive file on Texas, but could use input on Arkansas and Louisiana.  Any favorites, most hated spots??  We always gather a lot of info before we leave, but we had expected to spend a lot of time in Iowa, which didn’t happen.   We go to Branson tomorrow, and we’ll look for a AAA club.

Weather: Low 50’s to low 70’s, with some sun, but intermittent showers, and the evening storm included big downpours and lightning and thunder
Staying at Happy Trails Campground, FHU, 50 amps,  beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, wonderful owners, eager to please   $30

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Need to check out the caveman BBQ Outside of Richland, Mo. I44 to highway 133 north watch for signs. You will eat in a live cave. Very nice place over looking to river below.

It was on my itinerary to go to between Jeff City & Lebanon.  However, Dean got a stomach flu, and that day was the worst, so we had to by-pass it.  But, I appreciate your comment, and I'm going to look it up to see if it's possible to go to from Branson or when we go south to Arkansas.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
While in Branson, be sure to visit Steal Your Dollar City Silver Dollar City.  Just kidding about "steal your dollar".  It's just an old local term.  SDC is not cheap, but you can get your money's worth.  My son runs the furniture shop as well as the main gift shop you pass through on your way out.  Spend some money and help him keep his job(s).  If you like touring caves, take the Marvel Cave tour (inside SDC).
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
Linda

A Harvest Hosts winery is in Springfield, OOVVDA Winery, http://www.oovvda.com/. If you hadn't heard before, Harvest Hosts is a membership club, maybe like Passport America, where you can stay free (usually boondocking) at member hosts. The hosts are wineries, farms, orchards, a creamery, a donkey refuge, etc. We stayed at OOVVDA last summer, parked in the vineyard for a couple of nites, and had a great tour of the winery and tasting bar (nice to be able to walk back to your home ;D ). Also met some friends for dinner at Lamberts, didn't miss a roll throwed.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
The Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View, Arkansas is one of those gems like you love.  Most people don't know about it because it's run by the U.S. Forest Service.  My friend's husband was responsible for getting it ready to open to the public.  They hired the same person who did the lighting at Kennedy Center to do theirs and it's beautifully done.  It's at least partially handicapped accessible so you'd need to check that.  It's one of the most beautiful caverns we've ever visited!  I think there's nearby camping as well.  We haven't been there for many years but it's a wonderful memory.

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »
You must eat at Lamberts in the town of Ozark. Just south of Springfiend. The place where they throw the HOT rolls at you. Lots of fun and great food.
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:08 PM »
You must eat at Lamberts in the town of Ozark. Just south of Springfiend. The place where they throw the HOT rolls at you. Lots of fun and great food.

We ate there last night, and I couldn't agree more!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
We live an hour and half away...love that place..
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 11:02:36 PM »
While in Branson, be sure to visit Steal Your Dollar City Silver Dollar City.  Just kidding about "steal your dollar".  It's just an old local term.  SDC is not cheap, but you can get your money's worth.  My son runs the furniture shop as well as the main gift shop you pass through on your way out.  Spend some money and help him keep his job(s).  If you like touring caves, take the Marvel Cave tour (inside SDC).

Thanks!  We'll try to put it in, depending on how expensive it is.  However, we splurge on those activities that sound like we'll really enjoy them.  We are going to a lot of shows in Branson, and that's going to be pretty pricy.  I do like caves, so we'll definitely research it. 
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
The Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View, Arkansas is one of those gems like you love.  Most people don't know about it because it's run by the U.S. Forest Service.  My friend's husband was responsible for getting it ready to open to the public.  They hired the same person who did the lighting at Kennedy Center to do theirs and it's beautifully done.  It's at least partially handicapped accessible so you'd need to check that.  It's one of the most beautiful caverns we've ever visited!  I think there's nearby camping as well.  We haven't been there for many years but it's a wonderful memory.

ArdraF

A while back Miekle, another Forum member, recommended this also.  Hearing a place twice puts it on my Must See List.  Thanks so much!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
Linda

A Harvest Hosts winery is in Springfield, OOVVDA Winery, http://www.oovvda.com/. If you hadn't heard before, Harvest Hosts is a membership club, maybe like Passport America, where you can stay free (usually boondocking) at member hosts. The hosts are wineries, farms, orchards, a creamery, a donkey refuge, etc. We stayed at OOVVDA last summer, parked in the vineyard for a couple of nites, and had a great tour of the winery and tasting bar (nice to be able to walk back to your home ;D ). Also met some friends for dinner at Lamberts, didn't miss a roll throwed.

Thanks, I will definitely check into Harvest Hosts. It sounds like we could have some different experiences.  Unfortunately, after I had our children, I developed a big allergy to wine.  I miss it, but it isn't worth itching all over like a crazy lady.  The other places sound very different and interesting.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »
October 12, 2011   Day 22      Lebanon, MO

We visited with friends, and they shopped at the Case Knife outlet, a must stop if you are interested in Chicago Cutlery, pottery, or knives.   I think they called it Shepherd Hills Outlet Center.  We didn’t go to Majestic Cave because of the rain.  We enjoyed our day socializing.

Weather: Low 50’s to low 70’s, with intermittent showers,accompanied by some nice lightning and thunder
Staying at Happy Trails Campground, FHU, 50 amps,  beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, wonderful owners, eager to please   $30
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »
You are almost in my back yard. We live in the Saint Robert area just outside Fort Leonard Wood. The Army post is also another great visit area and easy to get on the post.
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
October 13, 2011   Day 23      Branson, MO

We drove the 2 hours from Lebanon to Branson.  Traffic was good until we hit Branson, where it was very congested.  We were so glad our GPS guided us accurately to our RV park.  RVForumers had made some recommendations, but they were all full, didn’t answer, or had busy phones.  Passport America had the Pea Patch at a half-price of  $19, and is located right on “The Strip”.  Just as Dean finished registering, I reached Betty Brewer’s recommendation, Escapees Turkey Creek Village, and they only wanted $17.  Pea Patch has all the facilities, but no ambience.  I wish we had tried Turkey Creek.  I called Dean, suggested we just get 2 nights here, but he really liked the managers, and he decided to spend all 7 nights at Pea Patch.  The manager did a great job of guiding us to our spot.  Most of the RV parks are between $35 and $50.

RVForumers had recommended that we make reservations a week ahead, and I wish we could have.  However, we didn’t know how long we would be with our friends in Lebanon.  RVForumers said they had been able to purchase their show tickets at the RV parks, and we could have.  We stopped at a discount ticket booth and were able to get tickets for 9 shows we wanted to see at a cost of $666.  The only one we couldn’t get was Andy Williams, and the ticket seller said he is supposedly ill, but the talk is that he is resting his voice in preparation for his Christmas program.  After all, he is 84 or 85.  Ticket cost was equal between the park and the booth.

Tonight we went to see our #1 pick, the Oak Ridge Boys.  We have seen them perform many times before; they were SPECTACULAR, as always.  I always feel heartened when I leave their performance.  They put on a fantastic show.

We need to be grateful for what we have this Thanksgiving.  While the recession has caused a big OUCH for us, it’s nothing like what it is for others.  The owner of the last campground said that this year he has only had 30% of the business he usually has.  The ticket seller said that Branson got through the first 2 years of the recession OK, but this year they have really suffered.  We saw big beautiful buildings that we think were once theatres, and they were shuttered.  We saw whole modern shopping malls totally vacant.  The show tonight was about 60% full, and they are one of the most popular acts.

Staying at Pea Patch—FHU, 50 amps, very nice managers, theatre tickets available at a discount, all gravel, built on tiers, not scenic at all, $19.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
You are almost in my back yard. We live in the Saint Robert area just outside Fort Leonard Wood. The Army post is also another great visit area and easy to get on the post.

Then you are near Sweet Water BBQ.  I really wanted to go there because I admire the family that owns it and their diligence in building it over a period of 10 years by hand with rocks from the river.  I also wanted to eat at the Cave BBQ, but I guess we will have to save them for next time.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »
I am freinds with family of sweet water we live just one mile from there. We visit with the family a lot the whole family are special people. Great place to eat they did work very had building the place all by family and by hand. Cave man BBQ is also another great place has a new owner as of a year ago he is a very nice person. He has opened up the location and made a few great inprovements. Gary is the owner and we have known him about ten years. I can send you food when ever you need....lol.
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
October 14, 2011   Day 24      Branson, MO

We went to the Shoji Theatre to pick up our tickets.  Usually the ticket seller was able to reach the theatres by phone, but not the Shoji, so we got a pink slip and went to the theatre.  We got good seats, probably because the show is 4 days from now. 

I wanted fresh fruit, so we looked them up on our GPS and found The Apple Store.  It was a large store with a decent selection—especially considering that they are shutting their doors forever at the end of the month.  How sad!

We then went to the historic downtown, where they have a real 5 and 10 cent store.  We purchased a quilted hanging at the quilt store and loved the aroma at the leather shop.  We stopped at Mr. B’s, an ice cream shop I would recommend.  They served soup, sandwiches, and several specialties, like the Branson apple—a sliced apple, caramel syrup, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry.  They also had freshly made lemonade and limeade, which is what I ordered.  It was great! Dean enjoyed his cup of sugar-free ice cream, something that is hard to find around here.  The proprietor is very nice and goes out of his way to keep you happy.

We got to the Sight & Sound Theatre at 2:00 for the 3:00 performance, and the parking lot was empty.  Alarm bells went off in my mind, but when I checked our voucher, I had the right day and time.  We went inside and learned there was no 3:00 show.  They were sold out on all performances because they close tomorrow until December.  However, they gave us front row seats for the 7:30 performance.  Yippee!

“Noah” is a musical extravaganza with live animals such as camels, horses, and goats.  They had well-done animatronics for the tortoises, cows, and elephants, and many other animals.  The stage action took place at the front of the theatre, but in the scenes where Noah and his family are in the ark, the side walls of the theatre have pens of both real and animatronic animals.  It was a high-energy production with good singing.

Staying at Pea Patch—FHU, 50 amps, very nice managers, theatre tickets available at a discount, all gravel, built on tiers, not scenic at all, $19.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
October 15, 2011   Day 25      Branson, MO

Branson has the most enormous outlet mall I’ve ever seen.  They even have a Fuller Brush store!

We went to the afternoon show of the illusionist Kirby Von Burch.  Dean rated it as “OK”, but I enjoyed it and would rate him as “good”.  He made big cats appear and culminated his show by making a full-size helicopter appear.  Dean and I have been fortunate enough to see David Copperfield 2 or 3 times, Lance Burton, Harry Blackstone, Jr. several times, and other magicians, so we are more “onto” how things are or might be done.  I caught how Kirby was performing illusions twice, but many parts of his show were amazing.  His background scene/drapery is very favorable for making transitions and exchanges.  The one part I really disliked is that I am positive he had “plants” in the audience that allowed his clairvoyant wife to give the room number off a key and the serial number off a dollar bill.  One of these plants was in the row behind me, and I was suspicious of her, but when she didn’t return after the intermission, I knew for sure.  It’s a good family show, and he did some tricks I haven’t seen done before.

In the evening we saw “SIX”, a very talented sextet of brothers.  They have wonderful voices and do their singing without musical instruments.  Yet it sounds like there’s a band behind them because they are able to make instrument sounds with their mouths.  They have a nice mix of comedy, gospel, patriotism, 50’s music, and tributes. They have been voted Branson’s Best Act, and they are worthy of the honor, although I still would favor the Oak Ridge Boys (I may be biased.).   I would highly recommend this show.

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
October 16, 2011   Day 26      Branson, MO

We started with beautiful weather, an omen of a wonderful day in every way.  We drove into Springfield to the Dickerson Park Zoo.  Admission to this community zoo was only $5.  It was highly rated on Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, and they were right on.  The zoo has 49 types of animals (not including reptiles) from South America, Africa, Australia, Missouri, a reptile building, and a petting zoo.  They chose carefully, and I saw many animals new to my eyes.  They had maned wolves (Picture 1),  a gorgeous eclectus parrot, cotton-top tamarins, and the Damara zebra (instead of the more usual Grey’s or Grevy’s).  The colobus monkey has a tail like a horse and long white fur streaming from his shoulders really contrasts with his black body. The cages were immaculate, and the animals were well tended.  The scarlet ibis had the brightest red feathers we’ve seen (Picture 2).  The coloring of the European white stork were gorgeous, and the feathers fell nicely on the body, as if they’d been combed.  I got to feed the giraffes, which I always enjoy.  They have such long tongues!  Their map is the best zoo map we’ve seen.  The workers were happy to answer questions.   At lunch, two peahens proudly displayed their newborn chicks (Picture 3).  The moms were so protective, it was hard to get a photo without mom in part of the picture.  I would rate this a “Don’t Miss” attraction if you’re near Springfield.

We then went to the Japanese Stroll Garden.  It’s very large and has many interesting Japanese features.  It was shady, which we appreciated since the thermometer got up to 89°.

In the evening we went to see “The Legend of Kung Fu” at the White House Theater.  It is performed by Chinese who come to the U. S. for 10 months.  They are amazing!  They can tumble, do acrobatics in the air, dance, all while telling a story of a boy’s life.  They did many moves that I would have thought were impossible. The 5 boy actors, aged 8 and 9, are amazingly graceful and would put our break dancers to shame.  It’s like their neck bones aren’t connected to their torso.  I’ve never seen anyone jump rope with their buttocks before.  At the end, everyone in the audience popped up to give them a standing ovation.  We have seen some wonderful shows, but if I could only see one show, this is the one.  What a fabulous day!

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »
Enjoyed reading about Springfield since that's where the Coca-Cola Convention is going to be in July. I've added the zoo and the Japanese Garden to my list of places to see, along with Fantastic Caverns that I heard about (riding tour of the caverns). Will be watching to see any other interesting places you find in the area.

Wendy
home in Cortez
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »
Enjoyed reading about Springfield since that's where the Coca-Cola Convention is going to be in July. I've added the zoo and the Japanese Garden to my list of places to see, along with Fantastic Caverns that I heard about (riding tour of the caverns). Will be watching to see any other interesting places you find in the area.

Wendy
home in Cortez

I highly recommend Jacob's Cave, if you come that way.  I read Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, and Fantastic Caverns didn't get great reviews, but the Cave at Silver Dollar City did (though that one has a lot of stairs).  Everyone thought the SDC Cave was wonderful.  Read their reviews.  I didn't schedule Fantastic Caverns because it seemed redundant since we'd already been to Jacob's, and it was costly.  If you can't get the reviews, I'll try to help you. 

Add Lambert's to your Must Eat At List, also today's eatery.  Springfield is only about 30 min. from Branson, maybe a little more, but not much.

I enjoyed the Japanese Stroll Garden because it was cool on a hot day.  It feels like it was designed by a 3rd-generation Japanese-American.  It is not as manicured as other Japanese gardens, nor do they have exclusively Japanese plants.  But I liked its walkways that were shaded by huge trees, beauty spots, koi (take quarters), and decorations.  For the rock features, they used limestone instead of washed rock, and that didn't work for me at all.  I don't think limestone is the least bit pretty, except when water runs over it in a fountain, where it is neutral, just plain brown looking.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »
October 17, 2011   Day 27      Branson, MO

We went over to The College of the Ozarks Keeter Center for our first meal today.  I had read that we should make reservations for dinner; make reservations anytime.  We had to wait 45 minutes, though it wasn’t bad because we got to explore the lodge and all its displays, from which we learned a lot. There is a heavy emphasis on patriotism, Christian values, hard work, and ethics.

The students pay zero tuition, but must work 15 hours per week—gardening, grinding grain, making ice cream or fruitcakes or jellies, waiting tables, making baskets, etc.  The nickname is “Hard Work U.”  67% come from Missouri or Arkansas, 2% from foreign lands, and the rest from  other U. S. states.

My garden sandwich, which had portabello mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes, bell pepper, and more on a focaccia roll.  It was an “A+.”  Dean had the hamburger, and he said it was “quite good,” which is high praise. 

I wanted to see their museum, which has many collections that have been donated on many different subjects.  I loved the carved sideboards—absolutely gorgeous.  I got to see lots of  different taxidermied antelope side-by-side, and I worked hard to memorize their names because I often name them incorrectly.  The museum has something for everyone.

We went to the greenhouses and mill, which weren’t worth the time unless you wanted to buy souvenirs. We passed the Honor Pond, and I enjoyed their beautiful white swans and cygnets, as well as many Canadian geese.

This evening we went to the Presleys’ show, “Country Jubilee”.  They’ve been entertaining in Branson for over 40 years and are no relation to Elvis.  Their lead singer has a very good voice; the comedy is cute; they have a large cast of family members. Their variety show was entertaining, but the bar here in Branson is set high.  Everyone I talk to raves about the shows they have seen, and they’ve seen different performers.

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
October 18, 2011   Day 28      Branson, MO

We slept well last night with light rain on the rooftop, complete with thunder.
The weather has dropped almost 40°, from a high of  89° to a high of  51°.  BRRRR!  And tomorrow night’s performance is an outdoor drama!  And it won’t be any warmer then.  It will probably be in the 30’s.  We’ll stay for as long as we can without freezing.

As for today, we went to the 3:00 performance of  Shoji, who was absolutely spectacular.  I would have never believed I could sit through a show whose primary performer was a “fiddler” (actually a very accomplished violinist).  The staging is beautiful.  There are  several themes, and with each theme change, there are costume changes.  His show is very classy and precise.  Stereotypes are time, sometimes.  I love the attention to detail that my Japanese-American dentist has.  Shoji has that same preciseness.  Every dance is totally synchronized.  The costumes are elaborate.  Props are of high quality.  His ticket is the highest priced in Branson, and no discounts of any kind apply at any of the ticket dealers.  No coupons in the coupon book for the concession stand, either.  But, he is worth every penny and more!  Absolutely a “10”!

We went to see Pierce Arrow in the evening.  It is a variety country show and was very entertaining, especially the comedian.

Tomorrow we head to Arkansas—Eureka Springs.  We meander on through Arkansas, then down to Louisiana.

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 01:06:52 AM »
October 19, 2011   Day 29      Branson, MO

We worked all day with household chores and re-mapping since our itinerary has changed.

It was 43° when we got to the Shepherd of the Hills OUTDOOR amphitheatre.  We definitely should have planned to see this when the low was in the mid-70’s 6 days ago.  We came prepared with coats, cold-weather mittens, and blankets. 

The people who were putting on the “Shepherd of the Hills” play were so nice, and they give everyone a tram ride down to the amphitheatre—which only had about 30 people in the audience.  The amphitheatre probably holds close to 1000.  There are about 30 people in the cast, so we had a 1:1 ratio!

It is a very well-run operation.  There was great action—real horses with wagons racing across a large dirt area, a cabin being set afire, fist fights where the actors hit their own hands with such force we could hear the slaps clearly, and gun fights.  The acting ranged from excellent to OK, which is amazing considering that the script was so poorly written.  It might be OK for a family outing in the summer.  At the intermission, they invite people to come down and square dance with them (their caller was great, and so were the dancers).

Unfortunately, there was a “breeze” blowing, which made that 43° feel like 3°, and about 2/3 of the way through, we wimped out.  I was all wrapped up in my blanket, but my face was so cold, it hurt.  When I covered my face with my blanket, my glasses fogged up, and I couldn’t see.  The tram driver was so nice when he came to pick us up to take us back to the parking lot.  He said not to feel bad, that the actors were really complaining and wanting to be gone, too. 

October 20, 2011   Day 30      Eureka Springs, Arkansas

We hurried to set up the RV when we arrived in Eureka Springs because I wanted to get to the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge.  We were unable to get our satellite reception because of big trees. 

We got to the TCWR in time for the 4:00 tour, the optimum time.  TCWR rescues primarily big cats, but they also have a servile, a black bear, a coati, and a rabies-vaccinated coyote.  I learned that the coyote could not be released, because if he were ever bitten by a rabid animal, he would not get rabies, but he would become a carrier. We got the cart tour, and our guide was an intern, as were many of the employees.  He has a masters degree in animal behavior research, and he works here as an intern for 6-months for room, board, and $50/week—just to have the experience.  He told us the story of each animal, and there was a recurring theme of breeders in-breeding and creating defective offspring, and individuals who didn’t realize until too late that cute cubs grow up to be big cats who eat a lot, are expensive, and are dangerous.  I can’t understand why some states, primarily Texas, allow people to own exotic animals. At 5:00, the keepers did the feeding, so the animals were very active.  Walmart and Tyson Chicken donate all the food.  Cages were very clean; this is a good facility.  Our visit was interesting and enjoyable, AND it is only because of the wonderful people at the RVForum that we knew to come.

The Refuge has an RV park with FHU and 50-amps.  We will stay there next time.

Then we went to the Ozark Mountain Hoe-Down.  Admission with a coupon and senior discount was $20, which was about $18 too much.  Dean and I thought the jokes were really corny, and they kept repeating the same thing again and again, while they laughed.  The singing wasn’t any better. They asked us to “Give it up for _____” at least 30 times.  I’ve never been commanded to applaud like that before.  I have always thought applause was a spontaneous acclamation of the performers’ skills.  We did enjoy the fiddler, although he had a few mistakes. 

Maybe we just don’t get country humor and performing because many in the audience seemed to enjoy it.  Bummer!

Stayed at Kettle Campground--$13.50 with Passport America discount, 50 amps, FHU, WIFI is $3 extra, and they don’t ask if you want it.  We didn’t discover that our Motosat wouldn’t work until we came back from the TCWR, so we couldn’t get WIFI tonight.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Hosted by Over The Network